• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Excuses Disc Golf: Dispelling the Mystery

Sent my $30 design deposit in to Dave just a few minutes ago. Awaiting him sending some pictures, and then I'll do all of my notes with pictures and callouts and so on to give him a good idea what I'd like to see.

I've decided on something a bit more like the Golf Mahal than the Game Changer per se. Should store 12 or 13 in the main compartment with space for three in the lid and the putter pocket at the top for 15, and the collapsible sides with the pill pockets will serve to hold 5 or so discs on each side. Not sure what to do about the "front" side - another pill pocket, just for the heck of it? Probably will get some rails on the bottom if he can do it. The above may very well be just his standard BB bag.

Investigating options for the Crunch Box version as well - anything from a straight up Crunch Box done in my style and with better fabrics to the sling that Matt's done, to something else (he mentioned having a new design here…).

Sent my $30 design deposit in to Dave just a few minutes ago. Awaiting him sending some pictures, and then I'll do all of my notes with pictures and callouts and so on to give him a good idea what I'd like to see.

I've decided on something a bit more like the Golf Mahal than the Game Changer per se. Should store 12 or 13 in the main compartment with space for three in the lid and the putter pocket at the top for 15, and the collapsible sides with the pill pockets will serve to hold 5 or so discs on each side. Not sure what to do about the "front" side - another pill pocket, just for the heck of it? Probably will get some rails on the bottom if he can do it. The above may very well be just his standard BB bag.

Investigating options for the Crunch Box version as well - anything from a straight up Crunch Box done in my style and with better fabrics to the sling that Matt's done, to something else (he mentioned having a new design here…).
very interesting
keep us posted on this bag :)

I've written up my notes with pictures (it's quite long, but I am looking at two bags) and will send it to Dave later tonight or, more likely, tomorrow sometime.

My new bag, "Rise," should be on the table this week to get finished up. Pictures and video review to follow. However, I'm now tinkering with a 3rd new bag design for Dave. Since my first bag was a full-sized tournament backpack, and my 2nd bag is a mid-size everyday bag, it only seems logical for me to work on a small bag. The biggest challenge with a small bag is features. You have very limited space to work with, so it's important to pick and choose the right features. Most small bags are simply just bags that hold discs. The NutSac has a tiny little open pocket in the front and that's it. The DGA/Prodigy/Slim Jim/PDGA small bags worked in a bottle holder and some very limited pocket space.

What I've put together is basically one bag with two purposes. The first is a feature-packed small bag for 6-disc rounds. It will have a single shoulder strap, and pockets for scorecard, mini, pencils, phone, wallet, keys, maybe even a snack or two. The second purpose is a putting practice bag. The straps don't use D-rings, but instead use male/female strap clips. The bag will also have a set of belt loops on the back. Unclip the strap, and you can attach the bag to your belt (or even better, use the strap itself as a belt since there is one male and one female clip on the strap) to carry 4-5 putters for a round of practice without having to constantly hold on to a stack of putters or drop them in a pile on the ground.

I have drafted up a quick design, but I'm going to hold off on showing it until I finalize the draft with Dave and make sure he tells me it can all be done.

This is my mock-up of the next bag I want to have done. Yes, I am aware it looks like a NutSac. However, the NutSac would look like any other small bag if it were square. I decided to go rounded for the ease of carrying using the belt loops.

I'm hoping I can work with Dave in making the construction simple enough to have the price be somewhat worthwhile for people who want this style of bag.

Attachments

• T-Bag.jpg
    T-Bag.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 121
This is my mock-up of the next bag I want to have done. Yes, I am aware it looks like a NutSac. However, the NutSac would look like any other small bag if it were square. I decided to go rounded for the ease of carrying using the belt loops.

I'm hoping I can work with Dave in making the construction simple enough to have the price be somewhat worthwhile for people who want this style of bag.

I like it but how are you going to get 6 discs in a 4" thick bag.

I like how you really maximized the space on that thing - the zipper storage on the front flap is a nice touch.

What's it hold, 5-6 discs plus a putter? (Edit: Now I see that you answered this earlier.)

What's the turnaround on this puppy going to be?

I like it but how are you going to get 6 discs in a 4" thick bag.

I like how you really maximized the space on that thing - the zipper storage on the front flap is a nice touch.

What's it hold, 5-6 discs plus a putter? (Edit: Now I see that you answered this earlier.)

What's the turnaround on this puppy going to be?

Weikel: The pic I attached is 3 drivers, 2 mids, and a Zone

Qikly: I wish I knew. It's just in the initial design and implementation stages He's got a handful of bags that need to be put together before we get talk about this one. And he never settles on a "stock price" until after it's made and he has an idea of what it takes to put it together (since the first bag is always some trial and error.)

Attachments

• WP_20140127_001.jpg
    WP_20140127_001.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
My bag is in its way to being complete. It's the first one of its kinda other than the proto so it's giving Dave some trouble but that's to be expected. I'm awful at posting pictures here but if you'd like to for me tftw that would be great. If you go to Dave's personal FB account you will see the front of a black bag with red stitching that is mine.

I stand corrected. What if you dont put a putter pocket on there, that should help keep the price down unless its only a few more bucks to do it. Keep us updated anyway.

Well, the putter pocket is marginal. It's just an extra layer of fabric cut 2" shorter than the main front panel. The reason why I designed in that way is because I like having that little lip where my putter sticks out and I can just hook a finger and pull it out. With a set-up like the NutSac, you have to go into the main compartment and dig the putter out. And unless you are very fastidious with making sure your putter is the first disc in the bag, you also have to make sure you're pulling out the right disc. With the putter pocket, you never have to worry. It's always right where you know to grab it.

All this bag is, really, is a series of strategically placed layers over a standard 9 ½ x 9 ½ x 4 compartment in order to maximize the useable features within a minimal space. The zippered storage will be the most costly add-on. Think of it as the Swiss Army Knife of small bags.

I haven't heard from Dave since he told me my notes were AWESOME and that he wanted to share them with other people. :) Not even close to worried. It's currently 2°F outside. I have a few months. He knows it, too.

Looking forward to the end products.

I haven't heard from Dave since he told me my notes were AWESOME and that he wanted to share them with other people. :) Not even close to worried. It's currently 2°F outside. I have a few months. He knows it, too.

Looking forward to the end products.

I talked to him yesterday. The machine in his shop went boom. He's stuck getting a new machine so he's been swamped with trying to do damage control on the 4 currently unfinished bags on his table (one of which is mine). Hopefully things get back on track soon.

Latest posts