• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No live coverage at DGWT events

"We firmly believe that live broadcasting, while exciting to people within the core of the sport, can not achieve the interest of the masses before it can be done at a level similar to major TV sports. "

Hard to argue with that.

"We firmly believe that live broadcasting, while exciting to people within the core of the sport, can not achieve the interest of the masses before it can be done at a level similar to major TV sports. "

Hard to argue with that.

I wonder if a compromise of having a live "radio" (audio only) broadcast would be worth whatever the cost would be?

Hard to argue with that.

Very easy to argue with that. :popcorn:

Thanks for posting.

It's clear that the DGWT does not want live broadcasting. I"m not sure why not, as the article does not truly explain their "media plan" nor their true, core reasons for not having live broadcasting, but they're making every excuse for themselves that they possibly can to not have it. Apparently if someone else offers to pay for it, they're going to refuse to have live broadcasting. This is a very shortsighted decision, IMHO.

By including the Top 5 Instagram videos in their "Media Reach" article, it seems they're looking to have the amateur-level video style as their "live coverage".
Why pay for what spectators will post for free.

I still have not watched the USDGC and won't watch it in the future if it is not live. Pissing off your core audience to try to make headway with people that don't even know the sport exists makes no sense to me. Does not make me want to run out and buy a bunch of their plastic.

I still have not watched the USDGC and won't watch it in the future if it is not live. Pissing off your core audience to try to make headway with people that don't even know the sport exists makes no sense to me. Does not make me want to run out and buy a bunch of their plastic.

Agreed. If there had been a great final round battle, I might have made the time to watch it after the fact. But watching entire sporting events with the outcome known is about as pointless as it gets. Perhaps "the masses" have a different opinion.

Kind of cutting off your nose, to spite your face.....don't you think? I don't feel such entitlement. They obviously have determined that there is not nearly enough interest in live coverage to justify the expense. I honestly don't believe any company, organization or venture should lose money to satisfy my personal preference.
I would love to have seen live coverage, but the bottom line is, there are very few to which it matters.

If people are really that concerned about live coverage. You should buy a plane ticket and go watch the event. It's ridiculous people think others should foot the bill so they can watch it live.

Absurd and insane decision by Jussi but at this point nothing he does surprises me any longer. Dude is operating with a massive case of hubris and egomania.

If this years USDGC is any indication of what Jussi's event coverage will look like going forward I say 'good riddance.' Most of his 'golf course' events are boring to watch anyways. And the media plan at the USDGC was everything short of a disaster (no pun). Their views don't appear to be any greater from years past and every bit of drama was sucked from the event with their shoddy social-media-first coverage.

Even the slick Jomez post-produced rounds (which look good btw) totally lacked the flow and drama that comes with watching a live event. The commentary team couldn't be more bored when watching after they know the results. The shot tracker was a relatively laughable addition that certainly isn't worth the 'hour per shot' that it takes to render out.

Looking forward to the DGPT and Smashboxx actually taking the media game forward next year.

It's ridiculous people think others should foot the bill so they can watch it live.
It really isn't.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there..... do they really think those 1m views is actually 1m "different" people reached? I'm guessing there's a huge potential for overlap as the same people from the core audience discover the various videos on various social channels. If they want the most coverage long term.... live + post = most.

If people are really that concerned about live coverage. You should buy a plane ticket and go watch the event. It's ridiculous people think others should foot the bill so they can watch it live.

IIRC the PDGA offered to pay smashboxx out of their own coffers for live coverage at the USDGC and DGWT declined the offer.

Hard to argue with that.

Well if you dont understand difference between social media platforms i guess? None of what we have working is on a TV level.

Your part of the quote goes on to say:
The mission of the World Tour is to attract new audiences towards the sport, and in terms of media, to attract those new audiences, we simply need better packaging than what the live broadcasts can offer. Naturally video is the winning format today to reach the online audience in 2016 and for that reason video production is at the core of our media strategy.

In our perspective, there's 2 types of video formats that have best the potential to reach the masses outside our sport. One of these is the as-it-happens -type, yet easily consumable mobile video coverage, you may have seen us post heavily on Instagram and feed to Facebook. Besides coming in handy on our scoring page, where you can click those tiny red dots to watch a players performance on a certain hole, some of those little video updates, oftentimes pieced together practically in real time, tend to go viral. Looking at at the numbers of people reached by just our 5 most popular Instagram videos, one can notice the views they get are substantial.

Lol... So. Out. Of. Touch.

Those social media avenues are no easier navigated vs live YT which really just want to be their own YT. Recently even twitter can be live broadcast. This is considered quality coverage but Smashboxx is not?

Baaahahahahaha

Well 8n business you often spend $ hoping for a return. Its a business working to gain sponsors.

....via instagram?

This is my only argument with the DGWT philosophy... If it takes us producing something equal to what major sports achieve... then we (disc golf) will never get there. Period. I have come to the realization that in the U.S. no one is handing us millions of dollars to produce an HD, graphics laden, slick production. NEVER. LIKE.... NEVER EVER. Like the 90s band En Vogue "Never Gonna Get It".

Maybe I have a more "cynical" outlook on our future than some? Could we get a major sponsor to work with DG in the future... of course. But not to the level where we will be able to afford full quality, top notch, live coverage of our events.

Could we get tens of thousands of dollars in outside funding, maybe more? I sure am optimistic about that. But to put on a production like you see other major sports do, it takes HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS or MILLIONS of dollars, PER SHOW. And I don't see that happening in my lifetime. Because if someone came to DGWT and said, "Hey... I wanna give you 1 million dollars!". How much of that is going to be put into live production? At this point, none. Because if it happens then the DGWT will be proven correct that their way is the correct way. And who could argue if they got those results?

I do wish the DGWT all the luck and best wishes in the future. Because IF they succeed in hitting it big, it will help us at SmashBoxxTV. And we may work with the DGWT in the future, I am not in the business of burning bridges or writing people off. But I am a realistic person.

If you enjoy live coverage, all I can say is next year reach out to the companies that are supporting the live broadcasts in some way. Buy a disc or hat, send a tweet, poke them on FB (is poking still a thing?). Let them know that you appreciate them. If you support edited coverage, support those guys too. Sign up for their Patreons, donate, etc.

SmashBoxx will continue to do our own thing in the future and DGWT will do their's. Maybe our paths cross in the future, maybe we run parallel? Not sure.

On the upside... It looks like we'll only have to deal with this for 4 events and really only 1 that people care about watching. Shrinking the tour is certainly indicative of growth.

RIP USDGC.