• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon Resurrected!

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Nocky is back to 18 holes! The hardest course ever for Worlds Play is finally back to the full 18 holes! The 4 holes that were missing are definetely playable and the baskets are absolutely back.....Many have never played Nocky in it's full layout. Pro Par is a 66 I have only broken 80 3 times! Played 2 full rounds there today and I can assure you that there is no more beautiful a butt whipping to be found anywhere in disc golf! Please get out and play and please update your reviews...Seems she was docked quite a bit for only being 14 holes the past 2 years.

:D :D :D :D
Im so happy!!! I will be taking a trip up there to get spanked on the full 18 as soon as I get a free day!!

Where are the 4 "new holes"? Is there a map? Do they come at the end? More details please.

After what is now hole 14 go above the pond....tee area is visible from basket 14....15? is a long par 4 straightish drive with a wide ample wooded fairway to semi protected basket that is begging for a hyzer approach.(400-500 ft?)..then a short walk to fairway of #16 a big monster tee to your right...this one is a lonnng par three uphill with the fairway intersected by a row of huge evergreens..theres a teaser lane to the right but the better shot is an anhyzer or flick to the left...there is a concrete slab directly in front of the basket..this is ruled OOB as is the stone road behind the basket if your playing pro rules. Then from that basket go down the road with the road to your right a few feet away you will see the tee for hole #17 par 4 this is a difficult hole..its just nasty and hard as hell..basically its a dogleg right..there are two fairways cut from the dogleg area but its really really hard to define a good route to the basket....as much as hole 6 is a hard hole for lefties this one is equally hard for righties. the basket sits to the right of the second fairway above a small stone wall. then its a short walk up the path for the only ace run on the course....#18 is a straight shot but you have to go through 2 goal post trees halfway down fairway and then over a huge stone wall to an elevated basket that sits atop a boulder....basket is at 6-8 feet so it messes with your head! Your back at what is now hole 1...have fun!

FYI the numbering will probably revert to the original now that the original layout is in place... Hole 6 being hole 1 and then the natural flow of hole 9 (present 14) finishing at bathrooms and the final holes being the more open holes to encourage dusk play....Also what is now hole 5 is an epic finishing hole 18 and I love when people take a snowman on hole #6 which will be 1...what a way to start your round!

Why not it have full 18 long time ago. I went to Nock 3 year ago i believe anyway it was awesome but not 18 holes. Is it an addition or change the layout with old layout ? What make them add the remain holes ?

the holes (what will probably become 1-4) were taken away by the park due to heron bird migration. recently an opportunity with the new park manager came up to have the situation revisited. he brought in the game commission. they confirmed the birds have moved on (which has been the case for about 3 years). got the official approval saturday @ noon to put them in...the baskets were in and playable by 4pm. (needless to say...there was some pretty anxious people there).

Per this site, this is what the configuration was for worlds 2005. How close is this to the current layout?

:( I just played this course for the first time about a month ago.

nox_course_map.jpg

Per this site, this is what the configuration was for worlds 2005. How close is this to the current layout?

:( I just played this course for the first time about a month ago.

nox_course_map.jpg

that would be the "current" old layout. i imagine when new scorecards are drawn up....it will be the same numbering as well.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP! SO excited I can hardly wait.... looking at the calendar for ANY free day to get out there. I'll say it again:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Can anyone compare Nockamixon to the Quaker's Challenge course at Pinchot State Park south of Harrisburg?

Can anyone compare Nockamixon to the Quaker's Challenge course at Pinchot State Park south of Harrisburg?

I have played both courses. Quakers Challenge once and Nocky countless times. Both are extremely challenging courses that appeal to experts more so than novices. I am not an elite player, more of an average Joe but I enjoy the more challenging and epic courses. Both courses share this quality. I have a bit of HBB but I prefer Nocky due to a few factors. QC is a beauty of a course with deep woods, elevation shifts, and a few very unique holes you won't get anywhere else...in particular the Par 6, The spike hyzer straight upshot of Hole #1 and holes 17 and 18 all memorable and sketched in my mind despite just one play. Nocky has QC beat though. Nocky provides noticeable elevation change on 14 of the holes while QC elevation is evident on perhaps 1/3 of the holes? Nocky is equally as challenging but provides a unique beauty that allows you to feel like it is a wonderful experience as much as a difficult round. Nocky just has better views, more unique holes with ponds, stream, huge boulder fields, monstrous lake views, hanging basket, elevated basket, stone walls, and on and on. QC and Nocky are both as challenging though Nocky endangers you to blow up not only in the trees like QC but amidst boulder fields, in the wind overlooking the marina and all the water that sometimes makes for some ugly circle bogies on your scorecard! QC challenge comes from length and trees Nocky just has more variables. I hope QC lovers don't take this as a slam it is not QC is an amazing course and still better than 95% of whats out there! I think PA has 3 distinct regions with amazing DG now West, East, and South Central....amazing!

I would agree. I think that as a state, PA has more top-shelf courses than any other state in the country.

A dozen off the top of my head:
Moraine, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, Tyler, Nockamixon, Tinicum, Little Lehigh, Jordan Creek, Unami, Codorus, Whispering Falls, Quaker's Challenge... and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about and/or haven't played.

And with Nocky back in business full-scale, it's got to be THE disc golf destination for the summer.

Oh baby! I have played at Nocky so many times now, and I have never seen it in its full 18 holes! First chance I get ( prob. Thursday or Friday I will be down there! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would agree. I think that as a state, PA has more top-shelf courses than any other state in the country.

A dozen off the top of my head:
Moraine, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, Tyler, Nockamixon, Tinicum, Little Lehigh, Jordan Creek, Unami, Codorus, Whispering Falls, Quaker's Challenge... and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about and/or haven't played.

The ones you don't know about and/or haven't played are possibly:

Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Champion, PA
Pymatuning State Park, Jamestown, PA
IUP College Lodge, Indiana, PA

These are all out in western PA.

The two courses are very similar, but Nockamixon has the advantage with:

1) more elevation change on each hole. There are very few flat holes.
2) water hazards. There are quite a few holes where water comes into play.
3) a higher course par. There are several more pro par 4 holes making for a pro par of at least 66.
4) several open holes. There are some holes out by the marina that are essentially wide open.
5) VIEWS! These marina holes offer views galore, and are especially nice on a warm day when the sailboats are out on the lake. It's a shame that there are very few lake views from the QC course.

I really liked the "new" holes. They are using them as #1-#4, so you get to play them right off. They add a lot to the course. This is a magnificent course.

Latest posts