• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

noob needs a driver

Leopard is a winner. Also try the Jackal which has a Leopard bottom, but is slightly straighter out of the box. The Jackal also has a smooth, comfortable release. With a Leopard and Jackal you can pretty much drive to the right, left, and straight. Maybe stick to Speed 7 or less.

I was in the same position as you and made a thread like this, and everyone told me to work on my form with putters in a field or get a leopard to have fun with while getting better. So, I got a leopard and I was extremely glad I did. It might not be as fast but it has a lot of glide and I find that even now that I have a stronger arm it goes farther than my faster discs and is definitely more controllable. I would definitely recommend getting one (get it in Pro plastic it has better glide than other plastics), I can almost guarantee it will go farther and be more accurate for you than the speed 9 and 10 drivers.

:clap::thmbup: do this. Disc speed doesn't equal distance.

I would say look at a Vibram Trak. It has really good glide and doesn't require a cannon of an arm to get it to fly well.

2nded! I'm finding the grip of the rubber makes it easier to get the disc to rip out of my hand and get the spin/snap it needs.

I'm confused, the op says he has a lot of flick in his wrist that he wants to untrain... Why would u ever want less wrisp snap if u have problems with D already?

I'm confused, the op says he has a lot of flick in his wrist that he wants to untrain... Why would u ever want less wrisp snap if u have problems with D already?
I read this more as OAT than actual release snap. I have a buddy that calls his OAT the same thing... wrist snap.

As someone who tried the Leopard, FD, and River -- three discs that all fall into that low speed, good to work on your form zone -- I recommend the River. It really makes you focus on slow and smooth.

If you have to go higher speed, I would go Roadrunner. Great disc to learn how to hyzer flip.

Did the op say if he's a fh thrower or back hand? Average distance? What do you want out of the disc? There are a lot of schools of thought around these boards and a ton of group think, identify what you want so we can actually help you.

Did the op say if he's a fh thrower or back hand? Average distance? What do you want out of the disc? There are a lot of schools of thought around these boards and a ton of group think, identify what you want so we can actually help you.

I throw RHBH always. I run up on the tee and fairway drives. lots of distance tutorials say that you do not need a lot of snap in the wrist to get good distance on a drive. maybe this only applies to some people but I thought it was good advice. maybe its not. I played with frisbees for years before I discovered disc golf so I am pretty pro with the larger ultimate style discs but unfortunately that does little to help with disc golf. maybe the snap is good? I did read some threads on off axis torque so I understand what it is and I am always working on my form to prevent OAT. I have seen all the form videos and they helped a lot. I'm strength training and doing balance exercises. I already have a lat64 diamond so I learned a lot about shot shaping with OAT, not just hyzer and anhyzer lines. I can throw the 165g XL a lot farther and straighter than the diamond even though my diamond is 158g. the river might be too close to the diamond. I have measured my XL in footsteps somewhere between 100' and 150'.

Latest posts