• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

1. Sign vinyl tends to leave a residue that is difficult to remove. Automotive masking vinyl removes clean. I use the automotive.

2. Fixed and swivel both work fine. I've used both.

3. If you can cut the vinyl without cutting the paper, that works best, but I cannot do that by hand. Plotters can do that.

4. Cutting on the disc is going to leave little scratch lines. Cut gently for that and they won't be noticeable. Cutting off the disc means you'll need transfer paper, and/or will have to do really simple designs.

Other stuff: Masking vinyl does not store well for a long time. The adhesive degrades. Use it or lose it. For some designs, you can use wide electrical tape. It adheres better than sign vinyl but leaves no residue. Be sure to press the vinyl tight to the disc and watch out for bubbles. Work the bubbles out by pressing towards the edge, if you can, or into the middle if you can't. Don't stretch the vinyl. It will pull back really slowly and let the dye do stupid stuff. If you are removing hot stamps, Discraft stamps deep and you'll get bleed lines along the stamp lines. Innova stamps lighter. I don't really know about the other 37 manufacturers.

I'm gonna try cutting my own stencil- couple questions.

Is Orcal 651 the best vinyl to use? (this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Back...d=1430749853&sr=8-9&keywords=651+vinyl+oracal)

Do fixed or swiveling exacto blades work best for cutting?

Do you cut all the way through the paper backing, or just through the vinyl?

For Multi-color dyes, I have seen people talking about re-cutting the vinyl on the disc, and redoing the whole thing- whats the pro's and con's of each?

Thanks!

Anyone know how Legacy Gravity plastic dyes? It feels kinda pro-ish, so I am thinking probably not well, but I have never dyed anything Legacy before...

I just bought one of my beloved KC 11x Cheetahs. Some Jackhole wrote all over disc prior. I have never dyed before, but I wanted to dye disc and keep the clear stamp. From what I am reading I should go buy poly dye at hobby lobby and soak, should work, correct?

Thanks for any help!

I just bought one of my beloved KC 11x Cheetahs. From what I am reading I should go buy poly dye at hobby lobby and soak, should work, correct?

Thanks for any help!
Yep, most of us use Jacquard iDye poly dye. There are some other popular brands as well. I usually buy iDye from Jo-Ann fabrics but you might find it at Hobby Lobby or other similar places. If you want to preserve the stamp, do not use any of the shaving cream methods or anything involving alcohol/acetone.

I just bought one of my beloved KC 11x Cheetahs. Some Jackhole wrote all over disc prior. I have never dyed before, but I wanted to dye disc and keep the clear stamp. From what I am reading I should go buy poly dye at hobby lobby and soak, should work, correct?

Thanks for any help!

I had this same problem. I purchased a used first run Fluid Truth and the guy's marker took so well I couldn't wipe it clean with acetone. I taped off the inner rim, mixed black Rit dye with 2 cups hot water and poured it in the bottom of the disc. It didn't take very well so I poured again and left it in all night. It's a little darker but still not super dark. I'm going to look for iDye Poly today. The Rit was old enough I thought it would work but I'm guessing it isn't the right stuff. I've been toying with the idea of dying discs so I suppose this is a good way to get started.

Ultimate?

Anyone know of any premium plastic ultimate discs? That'd be sweet because it would mean a huge increase in dyeing area...

I have a clearish/light flesh colored candy pro firebird that I would like to dye to make it easier to find in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a clearish/light flesh colored candy pro firebird that I would like to dye to make it easier to find in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pink is the easiest to find for me. The neon yellow worm dip might work well too.

Pink is the easiest to find for me. The neon yellow worm dip might work well too.

Pink would be good, but is there a decent pink dye? Joanns only had the basics. Red turned out pretty well on my test disc. My try at orange made a light brown:thmbdown:

I'm not familiar with worm dye?

Pink would be good, but is there a decent pink dye? Joanns only had the basics. Red turned out pretty well on my test disc. My try at orange made a light brown:thmbdown:

I'm not familiar with worm dye?

iDye pink is not terrible, but worm dye pink is a much brighter pink. Other than that, someone (Odyssey I think) has gotten some nice bright pinks with combinations of fuchsia and fluorescent yellow I believe.

Quick Coat Worm dye is probably the easiest - it also takes immediately since it is an acetone mix. I got mine here.

Or there is also Spike-it Hot Pink, which is similar I imagine (though I have never used it).

Just dyed three trilogy 'recycled' plastic discs last night with Oracal 651 as a mask, and have LOTS of adhesive left over on the discs after removal.

I know plenty of solvents (Acetone etc, even rubbing alcohol) will take the stuff off, and heard positive results with Goo Gone or Goof-Off.

My question is - are any of them gentle enough on dye that I can just scrub the whole surface indiscriminately, or do I need to be careful and use a q-tip with all of them?

Just dyed three trilogy 'recycled' plastic discs last night with Oracal 651 as a mask, and have LOTS of adhesive left over on the discs after removal.

I know plenty of solvents (Acetone etc, even rubbing alcohol) will take the stuff off, and heard positive results with Goo Gone or Goof-Off.

My question is - are any of them gentle enough on dye that I can just scrub the whole surface indiscriminately, or do I need to be careful and use a q-tip with all of them?

I use goo gone after the dye is done on the whole disc pretty aggressively...a little bit of surface dye comes off, but it doesn't seem to hurt the dye or dull the colors at all. Only thing about goo gone is it takes a bit of elbow grease to get it all off.

I use rubbing alcohol pretty indiscriminately. Although, and this is likely just superstition, I only use right after I freeze the disc for a night. Just seems like less dye comes off when its really cold.

threw the discs in the freezer for an hour or two, acetone on a cottonball took the adhesive off easily without really removing any dye, as far as I could tell.

What can I use to hold the dye for when I am placing my disc in it?

None of my pots are big enough to accommodate the size of the disc.

http://imgur.com/a/BDHJB
My first dye had some problems. I want to find out what went wrong before my next attempt.

I used purple blue and yellow idye poly with the shaving cream. Im pretty sure the cream was too thin which allowed the disc to sink too deep into the plate. I also may have used too much cream in the plate. As you can see the shaving cream was pushed out of the plate as the disc sank down.

Last edited: