• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

nah, a cubby ace is when you throw multiple discs at the basket from the tee and one of them eventually goes in... it's not an "ACE" b/c an ace is the first throw from the teepad that goes in to the basket.

Cubby Aces aren't actual aces. :thmbup:

an ace is an ace... there is nothing that says it has to be your first throw. as long as you are throwing a disc and you get it into your intended target from your intended lie(teepad) it's an ace because it only required "one throw" to get it into the target.

If you unload your whole bag from the same teepad and get one in the basket.. that's an ace.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

side arm and forehand are different based on elbow placement. sidearm the elbow is extended and the arm is straight forehand the elbow comes close and across your body and is much more of a lever action

in the almost 8 years i've been playing this game that was the first time anyone ever separated the two shots. I have to disagree with you totally. Sidearm and Forehand are just 2 names for the same shot. forehand, IMO, is a silly name for the shot, but it compliments the term backhand well... they are both the same shot.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

This is not the "what counts as an ace" thread.

Also scott lewis from hyzer flip disc golf, weren't you supposed to be looking for some heavy glow Z buzzes for me like 3 days ago?

edit: dude are you replying to things from like 60 pages ago?

I've never thrown a Ching disc, but those dimples intrigue me. It seems like I'm not always thinking of my hand placement, but having my thumb fit into a dimple seems a good solution for this. Even more so, I would imagine having ridges or dimples on the inside of the flight rim (where my fingers are with a power grip) would help me generate a bit more snap, or would help me at least be more consistent with my hand placement. So.. question one - I know I can't modify a disc to put dimples on the rim... and I don't think there exist a disc with this feature, but would a disc such as this be legal? Am I living in a fantasyland where I think something like this would actually help me? My other thought would be to just mark up my disc with a magic marker to give me visual cues so I'm more consistent. Is there anything to this, or am I overthinking it?

So this is where everyone is.

2. Is CE plastic really that much different than todays molds? What makes it better? Could they reproduce it if they wanted?

it's not a different mold(usually).. it's different plastic. In fact CE plastic is what created many of the "L" molds of discs as the plastic made the discs so much more stable they created another mold so that the CE discs would act more like their subpremium plastic counterparts.

and no they couldn't reproduce it if they wanted to. they ran out of that specific type of plastic a long time ago and I don't see them getting it back.

could I go as far as to say that the PDGA might have also changed requirements on the "stiffness" of a disc that might also not allow CE type plastic discs to be made again??

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

Just orient your grip to the stamp on the disc the same way every time.

I don't quite know how putting your hand in the same place would help you generate more snap or do anything besides part of a pre-shot routine.

could I go as far as to say that the PDGA might have also changed requirements on the "stiffness" of a disc that might also not allow CE type plastic discs to be made again??

A lot of the CE discs were more stiff than the original ones submitted for testing supposedly.

Just orient your grip to the stamp on the disc the same way every time.

I don't quite know how putting your hand in the same place would help you generate more snap or do anything besides part of a pre-shot routine.

...I guess I was thinking of ridges or something on the inside of the rim would give my fingers a little more something to push off of.

in the almost 8 years i've been playing this game that was the first time anyone ever separated the two shots. I have to disagree with you totally. Sidearm and Forehand are just 2 names for the same shot. forehand, IMO, is a silly name for the shot, but it compliments the term backhand well... they are both the same shot.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

you forehand a disc you sidearm a baseball. compare the two throws.

a pitchers arm is fully extended when he throws sidearm.

when you forehand a disc, your elbow is in tighter and its a flick action.

they're rather interchangeable i wouldn;t correct someone if they say they throw side arm. and they're the same shot. i'm just nit-picking minor differences

Lightning has ridges on the inside of their discs, DC has raised lettering inside their discs and one of their ace race discs (impact maybe) had cross-hatching on the inside rim. How does throwing a DC disc with your fingers on the letters feel to you?

you forehand a disc you sidearm a baseball. compare the two throws.

a pitchers arm is fully extended when he throws sidearm.

when you forehand a disc, your elbow is in tighter and its a flick action.

they're rather interchangeable i wouldn;t correct someone if they say they throw side arm. and they're the same shot. i'm just nit-picking minor differences

It's really just semantics and jargon.

This is not the "what counts as an ace" thread.

Also scott lewis from hyzer flip disc golf, weren't you supposed to be looking for some heavy glow Z buzzes for me like 3 days ago?

edit: dude are you replying to things from like 60 pages ago?

yes You are right.. sorry Frank.. forgot about the buzzzes... I'll get back to ya on that FO SHO.

also.. Just started reading the thread so I'm responding to statements that aren't accurate as I go.

Let me find dem buzzzzzz's

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

p.s. Production stamp 176.. inked and thrown 6 times..
Knockamixon Hoodo Stamped 177+ Unthrown and Un-Inked..
Both have been kept away from light the whole time i've had them!!

Last edited:
Right, after you release the disc you allow your throwing arm to flail into the guys face standing next to the teeped...

I've actually done that before.

He got a black eye, my hand hurt for a few days. I don't think he ever stood just off the teepad on the right side ever again.

I'm more of a visual learner, and I know it will vary from player to player, but can someone post some pics of basic finger/hand positioning for various types of throws?

Sorry. Pain in the arse, but I did try searching for a thread on it first, and didn't find one.

Thx.

yes You are right.. sorry Frank.. forgot about the buzzzes... I'll get back to ya on that FO SHO.

also.. Just started reading the thread so I'm responding to statements that aren't accurate as I go.

Let me find dem buzzzzzz's

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

p.s. Production stamp 176.. inked and thrown 6 times..
Knockamixon Hoodo Stamped 177+ Unthrown and Un-Inked..
Both have been kept away from light the whole time i've had them!!

Lots of the stuff has been answered already.

p.s. what you looking for the noximixon one?

I'm more of a visual learner, and I know it will vary from player to player, but can someone post some pics of basic finger/hand positioning for various types of throws?

Sorry. Pain in the arse, but I did try searching for a thread on it first, and didn't find one.

Thx.

consult the technique sticky

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

Thx.

there's a thread in technique in strategy called, "technique sticky" and i think the 3rd or 4th link down refers you to a thread about grips