• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Thanks man! I was reading some threads last night about people playing with Rocs and Aviars at first trying to push 300' with those, so I think I'm going to order some up and give that a go for a while, just to see what happens. I'm sure I have room for improvement. With regards to weight, what do you consider light weight, and what would be medium? Right now, my discs all range from 170 to 175.

Post 2365 test.

attachment.php

Attachments

• celebrity-pictures-cruz-hayek-brokeback-sequel.jpg
    celebrity-pictures-cruz-hayek-brokeback-sequel.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 212
Thanks man! I was reading some threads last night about people playing with Rocs and Aviars at first trying to push 300' with those, so I think I'm going to order some up and give that a go for a while, just to see what happens. I'm sure I have room for improvement. With regards to weight, what do you consider light weight, and what would be medium? Right now, my discs all range from 170 to 175.

150ish is the lite stuff.

160ish is the medium.

170ish is the heavy.

175+ is the extra heavy stuff.

Another thing about disc weights:

The PDGA has a master list of disc and their approved weight ranges. I'm lazy this morning so no link but if you go to the PDGA site you can find it.

Second, regarding the example about throwing double digit speed discs as a noob...what's up with that? I've been playing 6 months and I can throw 350 forehand with my Ape (that I just lost today.) What's the reasoning behind not throwing those discs? I shoot with a guy that's been playing 10 years and has the same range...

As long as you aren't strong arming then there's no problem. Depending on athletic ability, you can huck a disc over 300' but breaking 400' is pretty tough without proper form. The problem with strong arming big flex shots for distance all the time is that it might put you on the chilling list for 6 months with tendinitis like it did me. :( :)

why do most pros throw max weight for most discs? i've found i can get a better flight out of lighter weight discs probly because i don't have the arm speed? and whats the difference between a wizard and an ion? i noticed a lot of people are throwing ions

not playing for 5 years like i play now..i've been playing since high school but the few years i played was not that often and i didn't know much about it just went out with my buddies..now i play every day. i guess that is a little misleading tho

why do most pros throw max weight for most discs? i've found i can get a better flight out of lighter weight discs probly because i don't have the arm speed? and whats the difference between a wizard and an ion? i noticed a lot of people are throwing ions

max weight:

1. more consistent flight both new and used
2. better suited for power throwers
3. (generally) better in wind

there are plenty of good pro players out there that don't throw max weight everything. it just depends on what kind of power you have. unless you are throwing mids/fairways/distance drivers ~350/~400/450'+ then you don't 'need' max weight.

wizard and ion are very close. i think people have been switching to the ion because it has great glide in premium plastic (so it wears in slower and more consistently) and the feel is more uniform (medium/soft) versus the plastic inconsistencies that gateway is known for.

Is there a way to differentiate first run Discraft from just vintage? e.g., I'm looking for a first run Cyclone but can't find any info on how to tell the difference.

Freakinwiz, a disc is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. CE is considered to be more durable and have a better feel to it than KC Pro, hence it is more sought after and worth more. And flat top rocs are 100% legal for tournament play.

thanks chris.. i saw something about if your flatten your own roc it makes it illegal for tournament play so i'm assuming you can't alter your rocs but if you get a flat top its ok. thanks again

This is more of a piece of advice from a newbie instead of a question.

I started playing in the end of July and got bit by the bug in August. I wasn't able to play the local fall league since I don't get home from work until about 6 every day. I instead played every weekend for about 10 straight weeks. Over that time I got better but still have holes in my game.

I was able to play in my local winter league this weekend and learned so much.

My advice: Play with the locals. Even if you aren't that great but you want to learn, go and play in your local league. You'll learn a lot from other golfers. They'll help you find the line and give feedback on your form. I was throwing discs that I normally wouldn't on certain holes and saw much better results.

Also, watch others throw. Watch their routine on putting. Watch how they approach the teepad and line up their shot.

I'm hoping that others will agree with this but I found it to be very, very helpful to play with others.

anyone ever thrown a first run pro teebird? i saw someone saw they aren't worth anything but are they worth throwing at all?