• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose down + Height?

Bro Montana

I've been playing for about 6 months now just about every day and I can throw low drives about 300-350. I've read to get more (or max) distance you need to get the disc up higher than the 10' - 15' or so that I'm getting. My only problem is that if I throw my disc nose down I cant get it to lift high enough to travel, so how do I get lift on my throws while keeping the nose facing down?

if youve only been playing for 6th months keep driving 10-15 feet high. that is something some people dream about doing consistently after 1-5 years (or more?) of playing. for "max D" where your holes allow the room to safely bomb shots, yes height should be added. if you are playing fairly tight and/or wooded courses, work on extending your 12' high drive another 20+ feet...if you have the capability of consistently throwing deeper (whether its for comp, other local courses, your home course, etc.) then jump on it. otherwise wait until you have played a little more and gotten truly more comfortable doing what you are doing - but better. i as well as other people cannot advise you on what to do without knowing what you are already up to.

can you describe/ask in anymore detail?

Well my distance now is fine for all wooded shots at my home course, but the first 4 are wide open and more distance is needed for birdie opportunities. However another course I play that is 15 minutes up the road is all wide open 700'+ holes (Goat Hill @ Center City Golf Course) which is the course I need this advice for.

Try keeping your wrist angles the same, but aiming higher with your shoulder.

Also I'm uploading a video right now to my youtube of me throwing a course with some 600-980' holes, might be worth watching it and maybe you'll see me doing something that makes it click for you? It's called Deis Hill and it should be posted in 20-30 minutes.

1. Make sure your grip is correct:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

2. Before worrying too much about nose angles I would make sure you have clean snap. You can test yourself by seeing how far you can throw neutral putters and mids. If they crash and burn under 250', I'd work on snap and fixing OAT. Throwing with snap also helps get the nose down. And make sure all your planes are in proper alignment, meaning you want your hips, shoulders, and forearm all swinging on the same plane.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

3.Understanding Nose Angles and Trajectory:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/angles.shtml

Keep in mind that throwing flat high and nose down is very difficult, so throwing hyzer or anny is much easier to throw higher and nose down, and the nose angle is different for different shots. Another thing to note for throwing higher and nose down is to keep your shoulders behind or even with your hips so you have more clean power throwing with an upward trajectory.

Also the slower the disc, the less nose sensitive = Throw slower discs far!

Last edited:
I've never heard someone complain about a drive that was 10-15ft off the ground unless they were trying to put it out over the basket, have it stall, and drop. If your drives have that nice smooth right turn but aren't flexing back then a little more height is needed to let the disc complete its flight pattern and fly as far as possible. But keep in mind we are talking about an extremely slight difference in angle. You should post a video if you can.

I should learn how to do this as well. My longest throws have only been maybe 15' off the ground and on a really straight line. There is a little left to right movement, but not much.