• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not getting half the distance I should be

Just played my 2nd round of golf today. Mainly I was useing my champion panther and champion Aviar. I feel like I have improved since the first time I played but I am still throwing significantly short.

The seminary I am in has a par three course on it (all par 3s 250-325 feet long). I am playing it with my panther and it is taking me about 2 times to get within putting distance on the shorter holes and 3 or 4 times on the longer holes. Also when I throw with my champion valk it isn't going much farther so I am training with my panther.

I am using a standstill backhand throw (no x step because I had a stroke 4 years ago and have drop foot) what is a common mistake in players backhand that kills distance. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

It was only your 2nd round. You might not even be gripping it correctly. It's a sport that is easy to improve at and you obviously have the right attitude, but don't expect miracles. As with anything else it takes lots of practice and time.

2 rounds?

Start playing catch with that Aviar and somebody that can throw. ... precise putter driving and upshots. A good part of the game that will shave strokes fast. And fun too.

My second time playing I could putt farther than I could drive and I am serious. Of course being given a Viper as a first time plastic thrower was pretty brutal.

Hey, my first disc was a Viper. I loved it.

It HAD been run over in a gravel parking lot, so it worked for a newbie. Lol

Take your discs out to a field or open fairway and throw them over and over again. Don't worry about where they end up. Focus more on the feeling. You might be surprised how much you will learn. As far as all the technical stuff, that will come in time as you become more obsessed.

#1 Essential Pro Tip!!!

;) keep at it. We all threw about 50' into the air and 100' to the left or right at one time! I thought people were making discs do magical stuff first seeing a turnover BH hyzer flip.

Picked up a skeeter and learned how to actually throw. Still learning...lol'