• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Nova vs. Dart

Darkstar1332

Hi... I bought a Nova for short straight shots but something about the disc and me just doesn't gel. Powergrip I flip it to a roller nearly always and have to throw on Hyzer to go straight. Fan grip it just wobbles out of my hand.... I recently got a Mako3 and LOVE the feel and straightness of it. I have tried to use it were I intended to use my Nova but its wayyy to fast. I was wondering if a Dart would be an ideal option for what I need?

Hi... I bought a Nova for short straight shots but something about the disc and me just doesn't gel. Powergrip I flip it to a roller nearly always and have to throw on Hyzer to go straight. Fan grip it just wobbles out of my hand.... I recently got a Mako3 and LOVE the feel and straightness of it. I have tried to use it were I intended to use my Nova but its wayyy to fast. I was wondering if a Dart would be an ideal option for what I need?

Gotta Go Gotta Throw has a Lightning Rubber Putter for very cheep at about $4 if a Dart is not what you want. The Lighting brand Rubber Putter is the Putter version of a Discraft Comet. Nope not soft at all, rather more the disc has that high flex to the mold.

I have used all of those discs... The Dart should work fine for short straight shots with very little fade if thrown flat.

I have a champion and an R-Pro one. I don't use the champion version because it's too slick during the cold and wet months and I don't use the R-Pro version because it's a bit flexy for my tastes. I use the Westside Shield in its place for now, but if I were to get another Dart, I would go for a stiffer base plastic version.

You have to be clean to get good results with a Nova, it won't hide any flaws. Learning to throw it will improve your technique though, even if you don't bag it.

That said, A Dart can cover the shot, but so can an Aviar P&A or a classic aviar.
Dx is best for me in the Dart, R-Pro is a bit too gummy.

A dart will work well. But really any straight to slightly overstable disc will work. PnA Aviar, any Aviar model, Whale, Colt, Judge, Warden, P1, P2, PA3, PA4, etc. Any of those in base plastic will work new or break in a bit to work.

Get a Dart in xt plastic. Love the feel of xt and the versatility of the Dart!

...I was wondering if a Dart would be an ideal option for what I need?
Darts are fun. They definitely fit in my grip better than the Nova But that's a very personal thing. If your hands are shaped like mine, the dart will fit your hands better too. This will help get cleaner releases.

Be forewarned though, some Darts start out more overstable than you'd probably expect. I like the off-the-shelf stability of the R-Pro but prefer the stiffness of the DX plastic. If you don't mind softer plastic, R-Pro is the way to go. If you don't mind beating a disc for a little while, DX or XT might be better for you.

Keller and tylerc mentioned other molds that will work equally well. There are tons of discs that will do what you want. I like Darts. If they don't work for you then there are tons of other options. The Colt is also fantastic and that's what you might want to check out next.

I recently got a Mako3 and LOVE the feel and straightness of it. I have tried to use it were I intended to use my Nova but its wayyy to fast.

I had the same issue with my Mako3. Loved the feel and flight, but it was just too fast and long for the shots I wanted to make. I started using my Bullfrog for those shots since the glide is pretty low, but still dead straight flight.

If the Dart doesn't work out for you, and you aren't hooked on Innova, X-line Comets have really opened up my dead straight game lately. They are everything I was hoping the Mako3 would be when I bought it.

The Dart was designed for R-Pro plastic and that was the first plastic it was released in. I loved the Dart when it came out, but when they made it in DX it was way too domey and flew different.

The Dart is basically the modern XD. The XD+ is not quite the same as well, but the old XD mold is now the Infinite Cohort for another disc option that will fit what you want.

I will however second that if you aren't throwing clean, the Nova will show you how poorly you are throwing.

The Dart was designed for R-Pro plastic and that was the first plastic it was released in. I loved the Dart when it came out, but when they made it in DX it was way too domey and flew different.

The Dart is basically the modern XD. The XD+ is not quite the same as well, but the old XD mold is now the Infinite Cohort for another disc option that will fit what you want.

I will however second that if you aren't throwing clean, the Nova will show you how poorly you are throwing.

Dart is actually the modern 175 gram Diameter Areo, look at both discs side by side. The molds are really similar to each other just the Dart was made to reduce the glide of the Areo, the one flaw of the mold.

XD+ and Cohort are the XD molds.

Last edited:
You have to be clean to get good results with a Nova, it won't hide any flaws. Learning to throw it will improve your technique though, even if you don't bag it.

That said, A Dart can cover the shot, but so can an Aviar P&A or a classic aviar.
Dx is best for me in the Dart, R-Pro is a bit too gummy.

The Aero the, mold Dart was based on was only in DX, so if the R-Pro Feels gummy then that is why if you used Aero before the mold went oop again for the second time. I would use the R-Pro if you do not end up with floppy run/disc of R-Pro plastic for the mold. Though for me the more Aero/DX Stingray height to the Dome on the Dart is what I have to look for as well, the nearly flat top R-Pro Dart discs end up feeling like a small Diameter almost flat top Stingray.

Surfing DGCR on a rotary phone must be tough.

Typing with one must be even harder.

Latest posts