• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB 10 feet from basket

houser

My local course has an OB marker like 10 feet or less from the basket. Does that contradict anything? I know there's special rules involving being within 33 feet, so can most of that area be ruled as OB?

There's nothing prohibiting this.

On shorter holes, this is an interesting way to force players to really think about shot selection off the tee. On longer holes, it can make that approach shot a head scratcher.

The only thing I don't like is when there is tight OB like this with no drop zone or re-tee penalty. Dropping a meter in from a 10 foot line gives you an easy drop in putt.

No rules against it, period.
Speaking personally, it defies common sense and does not enhance a hole the way the designer hoped. It's just stupid, my opinion.
I think for the for the designer's next trick, he should install a windmill in front of the basket.

No rules against it, period.
Speaking personally, it defies common sense and does not enhance a hole the way the designer hoped. It's just stupid, my opinion.
I think for the for the designer's next trick, he should install a windmill in front of the basket.

I've seen it used well when there are property lines, steep hills, parking areas, other fairways, etc near the basket.

I've seen other cases where it is just gimicky too though.

IMO it rarely works. On easy holes I think it is dumb since if you go OB on your drive you still get a drop-in for an easy 3.

The only place I think it works well is on holes where it is difficult to get a birdie.....one where the OB is past the basket where you will almost never reach OB on the drive (unfair punishment). In this scenario the OB creates a little knee knocking on the upshot which would usually otherwise be a boring/routine throw.

A good example of this is Sugaw Creek #3 - 0:39 in this flyby video:

I played a hole last week and saw it was OB behind the basket. I just hucked the hell out of it and ended up OB for the drop in. Since when is a 3 a bad thing? OB near a basket is kind of dumb.

So by extension of this "OB near baskets is bad" logic, baskets near water hazards are a bad idea? For most players, the equation changes a bit if it means losing a stroke and possibly their disc too.

Since when is a 3 a bad thing?

When you could have gotten a 2 for keeping your disc in bounds.

I do agree with Brad though, a drop zone outside of gimme range or stroke and distance penalty might make people think before they throw wildly on such a hole.

I played a hole last week and saw it was OB behind the basket. I just hucked the hell out of it and ended up OB for the drop in. Since when is a 3 a bad thing? OB near a basket is kind of dumb.

I guess. unless your playing with guys who can throw it controlled. there is a hole at my home course (Timmons) that has OB all around the basket. but most people are mad if they don't birdie it.

Not sure I agree with "it's dumb" all the time. There are several holes that play into this that I find really fun. Hole 3 in charlotte at the angry beaver is a good example. I like this hole cause if you missyour t shot short, then you better make your putt or you'll go ob most likely. If you go ob behind the basket, no only have you lost a disc, but now have a knee knocker 12 footer into a headwind. So here, a simple 2 hole can quickly turn into a back and forth 5 or more.

Another example is hole 15 buckhorn. not as easy a 2, but it has the same water OB right behind the basket with a slope in front of the basket. I like this hole. Makes for a good strategy on the t and around the pin.

A drop zone in these situations would make no sense, imo.

I am not sure I could have gotten a 2 as easy, I would have probably played it safe and tried to follow the fairway. instead I just heaved it over the trees and into the OB

I did not mean it was dumb all of the time, sometimes water or a drop off near the basket makes you think about risk vs. reward. It is dumb when you can easily throw it OB on the first shot for an easy 3 every time.

I can think of a number of holes I've played with OB near the basket, that were pretty cool on a risk/reward basis. When well done, it gives you interesting choices. (Of course, not all are well done).

I'll back off a little and say it's dumb 99% of the time.
I have a firm opinion that "gimmicks" like this are over-used and are a substitute for good design.
To a previous poster, I beleive that putting a basket 10' from water is also bad design 99% of the time.

To clarify my position, for permanent courses, OB should only be used for safety (pedestrians, sidewalks, shelters, etc), defining property lines, or when water (safety again) is involved.
It should not be used to define a fairway or as a gimmick to randomly penalize people for wind gusts.

I generally object to any design that introduces more chance than skill. Putting a basket inside a grove of trees with no clear line, or placing a basket 10' from water or OB or steep hill introduces more chance than skill.
Personally, I don't like to see any OB or obstruction within the 10m circle, although I realize that many disagree.
There are plenty of ways to introduce challenge to a DG course without resorting to gimmicks and luck. Think, plan and design.
If you can't think, plan and design, just put a giant rotating windmill in front of the basket. That should be about as random as putting OB or water 10' from the basket.

Last edited:
It works like this, you through over the log like 10 feet from the basket you have to back up to the red tee and take a penalty, according to the signs. So, what happens is your drive goes up to the pin, you putt for deuce, and if you miss you wind up taking a 5 unless you can hit it from the red tee. and I hate making people do that.

The first hole on my backyard course has OB 10 ft behind the hole and i made the drop zone about 60 feet from the basket. no ace runs for you.

The example that I can think of is hole 1 at Fountain Lake great use of ob near the basket. It's really a great risk/reward on the drive upshot and putt. Yeah it can be gimmicky, but to be honest, some courses need a few gimmicks to make them interesting because of the land they are on. An elevated basket or sand trap OB near the basket on an open 250 ft hole can add a little something in my opinion.

I'll back off a little and say it's dumb 99% of the time.
I have a firm opinion that "gimmicks" like this are over-used and are a substitute for good design.
To a previous poster, I beleive that putting a basket 10' from water is also bad design 99% of the time.

To clarify my position, for permanent courses, OB should only be used for safety (pedestrians, sidewalks, shelters, etc), defining property lines, or when water (safety again) is involved.
It should not be used to define a fairway or as a gimmick to randomly penalize people for wind gusts.

That broadens the question....and I'd have to respectfully disagree. Courses that incorporate O.B. for strategic reasons---whether placing fairways near O.B., or creating O.B. near fairways---are among my favorites. I don't see it as gimmicky at all.

Different tastes, I guess.

Hawk Hollow has a few holes with OB 10-15 feet from the basket. Holes 1, 4 and 14 namely. They are definately Risk vs Reward drives and/or approaches and are no way "dumb" or "stupid" in design or play.

Neither requires play from a drop zone.