• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB Rule change?

gcr_russell

* Ace Member *
Is there any truth to the rumors Ive heard about a change in the OB rule? Ive heard from several people recently that the ruling is changing, where currently if any part of your disc in in bounds the shot is considered in bounds. They say its changing to where if any part of your disc is OB the throw itself is OB. Are they making it up?

If you can see OB from your lie, you're OB.

Although it sucks I like the idea of this. Keeps those crappy luck shots from staying in bounds when a blade of grass is under it.

I approve.

Although it sucks I like the idea of this. Keeps those crappy luck shots from staying in bounds when a blade of grass is under it.

I approve.

I tried to claim this once but got caugh by the rule of verticality. The OB line was the edge of the cement so even the grass that was hanging over the edge of that was considered OB.

Is there any truth to the rumors Ive heard about a change in the OB rule? Ive heard from several people recently that the ruling is changing, where currently if any part of your disc in in bounds the shot is considered in bounds. They say its changing to where if any part of your disc is OB the throw itself is OB. Are they making it up?

I have not heard anything about what you describe to be true though this is probably something that a TD could call in effect if he so desired. I am not sure why a TD would do that, but I suppose it could happen.

The potential change that might happen is what we saw at the USDGC's this year. Rather than throwing from where you disc was last considered in bounds by the group you would get the stroke plus then have to throw again from your previous lie. This is called Stroke and Distance. It was fun to watch at the USDGC's but I sure hope they don't make it the rule.

Weather or not the line is OB is generally determined by the TD. I have never not see the line actually be in bounds.

Actually, the line itself is OB. At least that's how it was played at the USDGC this year. Anything inside the line is in bounds.

If any part of the disc is inbounds, the disc is ruled inbounds even if it's touching the OB line, even at the USDGC. That is not changing.

If any part of the disc is inbounds, the disc is ruled inbounds even if it's touching the OB line, even at the USDGC. That is not changing.

Yes, but the line itself is out of bounds. So, if the closest the disc comes to being in bounds is touching the line, but nothing inside the line, the disc is OB.

I have not heard anything about what you describe to be true though this is probably something that a TD could call in effect if he so desired. I am not sure why a TD would do that, but I suppose it could happen.

The potential change that might happen is what we saw at the USDGC's this year. Rather than throwing from where you disc was last considered in bounds by the group you would get the stroke plus then have to throw again from your previous lie. This is called Stroke and Distance. It was fun to watch at the USDGC's but I sure hope they don't make it the rule.

Meh, it's been like that in golf forever and nobody has complained. Would make the OB more scary, but I'm fine with that. The only bad thing about it are those times when you're not sure if it skipped to OB or not, you'd have to throw another disc anyway before you go check where the first one stopped.

I played in a tourney in September where the OB rule was; If any of your disc is touching, or over the OB line the disc is considered OB - the TD was pretty convinced that was now the official ruling in regards to the OB rule, so that's how the tourney was played.

If you are talking about the Flying Disc Open.... the TD announced that, but because he was wrong ( and from the uproar) it was corrected to if any part of the disc is in bounds it is ruled in bounds.

I think people are confused. We need to talk about width of line. If you spray paint a line and it is 1" wide. Your disc is all OB except 1/2" is on the OB line but not crossed into In Bounds your are OUT. If your disc is touching in bounds and .0000000000000000000000000000001" of your disc is touching the OB line (no mater how wide that line is) you are in bounds. As long as you are in bounds the current rule played at the PDGA and US Doubles is that you are in bounds. I don't know how that rumor got started in Rochester and elsewhere but it is incorrect until you see it in a new rule book update.

Stroke and Distance is a good version of the OB rule except that you need spotters. Without spotters the rounds in a tournament would be 5+ hours long on some courses.