• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Octothorpe 2017 vs other comparable bags

Gmtata01

Eagle Member
I have some research for my next disc golf bag upgrade. I currently have a Grip C15. I am looking for the following:

1. Carry 20 or so discs
2. Provide more storage for water, towels, gear,etc
3. Great customer service and bag durability.
4. Something that dose not weigh a lot or will "carry" great on my back.

I love the look and bag design of the Octo and the life time warranty, similar to Grip

Not looking for a cart.

Please let me know if the OCTO is the next best thing or if anything else is out there. Thanks

I tell ya what, those pound bags (octothorpe) are pretty gnarly looking, and how can you go wrong with a lifetime warranty. But, since you are asking, I really dig my UPD Rebel v3 bag. I know they just released the new rebel, so I do not know too much about it, but my bag is stellar, and the customer service is pretty spot on. I had an issue w/the stitching on one of the shoulder straps, and when I called to inquire about it, the service person was completely understanding. I sent the bag back, and got a brand new bag, not even 5 days later.

The bag itself is super light when empty, and the side pockets are deep and hold a ton of stuff. I take my kids discing, and it carries all their snacks, as well as my two 32 oz Nalgene water bottles. The back padding is top notch, and though the disc compartment goes side to side, the weight distribution is not overly noticeable. Basically, I attribute the back padding to taking the strain off my lower back.

Good luck on your decision. Again, those octothorpe bags look pretty sweet.

I've heard good things about the Voodoo Spinal Tap 3. I would pick one up but I carry too many discs so I plan to get an Octo. I hate my ranger bag.

I gotthe octo for all the reasons you are looking for a new bag. I have had mine over a year now. Best bag i have ever had and i used to be clowned for getting a new bag every 3-4 months.

Octo is great. If you only carry 20 discs, it will be a little big. Mine fits 14 drivers + 5 midranges in the main compartment plus you get 4-5 putters in the putter pouch.

Octothrope definitely hits all the items on your list.

Only direct comparison I can offer to another brand is:
One of my friends recently switched from the Lat Luxury backpack to a new Octo. He says the features are about equivalent, but the fit/feel of the Octo is much better.

I will go against the grain and recommend the spinal tap 3. It has everything you are asking for at a significantly lower price.

I've owned and used:
DD Ranger, Grip A14, Grip B15, Grip AX15, Voodoo ST3 and Pound Octothorpe. The Octothorpe carries more and feels very noticeably lighter and smaller than all of the other bags I just listed.

Just pull the trigger, there is no better option unless you need a smaller bag.

The octo is at a different level than the other bags mentioned.

The quality is such that when you open the box and first put hands your bag, you'll understand the price and be happy with the choice.

Unless you can test drive others with your exact setup, and you can afford it, I reccomend taking the octo plunge.

I sometimes carrry 12-15 in my Octo. No biggy, I load the empty disc space with towels and a Gatorade. 20 will not be an issue

how many discs can fit in the main compartment? Would 5 mids and 10 drivers fit? 4 in putter pocket up top?

I have 2 putter in my Grip C 15 and 2 putters, 2 mids, 8 drivers in it.

Yes. That would fit. That is just about exactly what I carry, with spare room for a couple more drivers.

I have a Voodoo ST3 and love it. I carry 23 discs, and could probably carry about 4 or 5 more depending on what accessories I am carrying. For $170 and free shipping it is hard to beat. The bag is an absolute tank, and is super comfortable.

I am for sure getting a pound bag. But I am torn as to which one to get. I know that the only difference is the bigger haul pockets on the side. I am also wanting an all red setup like the KJ Octohaul for 350. But I don't know if that's too big for what I am wanting. I guess I could do the custom colors program once it comes out but it would still be 350. So my question is should I get the bigger bag for the same price as it is the color I am wanting. Thanks for the input.

I have a Voodoo ST3 and love it. I carry 23 discs, and could probably carry about 4 or 5 more depending on what accessories I am carrying. For $170 and free shipping it is hard to beat. The bag is an absolute tank, and is super comfortable.

Are they not doing free shipping anymore? I'm still gonna get this bag, but I only see free shipping if I buy an accessory.