• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-season Tweak Bag

Fritz

* Ace Member *
Decided to start a new thread. We'll call this one, what are you going to try in your bag during the off season?

Here is my bag set up for the off season:

Drivers:

170g Champ Monster (Gummy) Thumber/Headwind
172g Star Monster - Thumber/Headwind
170g EXP-1 (1.7 plastic) - Mid-range head wind distances/Hyzer shots
169g Sirius Orion LF - Super Beat up/Distance/Medium Headwind
168g Sirius Orion LF - Fairly New/Distance/Medium Headwind Driver
170g Sirius Orion LS - Main Distance Driver/Tailwind
168g Sirius Orion LS - Turnover/Tailwind/Anhyzer
168g Champion Roadrunner - Rollers/Extreme Anhyzers

Midrange:

177g+ SMS - Overstable
177g+ QMS (Stiff) Slightly Overstable
177g+ QMS (Gummy) Super straight to Understable
180g Star Stingray - Understable extreme turnover/anhyzer

Putters:

175 5x JK Aviar-X - Gummy for cold and jump putts
175 11x KC Pro Aviar - Stiffer for drives/hot temp putting

Stuff that has been removed or is being considered for removal:

170g Star Firebird
170g Millennium Orion LF
170g Star Sidewinder
175g Ontario Roc
180g KC Pro Roc
177g+ Q-Sentinel
175g Star CRO
175g DX CRO
169g Star TL
162g Star TL

Fritz said:

175g Ontario Roc
Oh fine.:roll:
I guess I should have sent a SMS instead... :p

I'm going to put all the FLX back in the bag, really looking forward to the FLX Avenger SS. And switch my putters to softies.

Not going to play as much this winter though, cold weather is hard on the nerves. I'm going to spend the winter doing extreme workouts and putting sessions. I'm going to torture the hell out of my body, so I can pwn in the spring. :twisted:

latitude said:
what you mean with "off season"? It's now the season begins!

Countries cut by the polar circle unite! :) Another through the year player here. Knee deep or deeper in the snow. Really been there and done that for hours on end. And doesn't the season start on January 1st? :)

I'm always shuffling out discs because form changes and I need to keep track of what works with which discs to try to find reasons and confirmation fo suspected causes of changes. And trying to formulate next training goals and methods.

I just received 6 new discs today that are partly meant for off season work. But it wasn't the only nor the highest priority criterion for selecting these discs. I got a Z Storm to hopefully fly more overstable and resisting flipping over and handling wind better than my X Storm. Same weight because I couldn't get heavier ones. Long Roc duty. Maybe not as reliable and forgiving on full power throws but I fully intend to use this mainly with less than full power for added reliability and accuracy.

X Pred needs a lot of breaking in quickly because I wanna see how long it'll become once broken in and how much HSS it loses compared to my Z. If it'll fly far with nearly as much confidence than my Z I might drop many long drivers from my bag. I just love the Z and with more D and less fade It'd be perfect for most drives.

X Crush for low line drives based on recommendations from here. J-Man IIRC. Here in tunnel country low and long without too much s-curving is the difference between under and over par. Hmm... pro par it seems to be around here. Wind resistance for long drives hoped for. Z Crush is too short for me based on throwing it without recent improvements in snap.

Champ Wraith 170 was the lightest I could get locally. I read that it fades marginally less than star of which I have a 166 and normally it's my longest disc. A bit flippy in 166 star so more weight can be handy especially for low lines in restricted holes. Max D disc.

Sirius Sentinel MF for windy mid range work when the Storm ain't robust enough. And headwinds on shorter distances than Preds where the disc can't move as much to the left..

DX Gazelle to see what the fuzz is about in hope of a longer lasting dx disc than Teebird alone. I plan to extend the life of both by using them both. I've had great results with the understable little brother of this disc, the Leopard in champ when I manage to prevent flipping over it. More reliability and wind tackling ability is sought after. And more diverse shots than from the Teebird. No fade is great but there's a need for a control driver that can fade or anny well too. I've read that the Gazelle is more forgiving than the Teebird which is exactly what I need because the winds without leaves is murder around here.

Wind, cold and wet discs is what I'm up against. That means grippy discs on top of wind resistance. My injuries force me to use thin discs or suffer the consequences so I use a QMS as a stop gap putter. The gummy QMS is great in slip prevention. It's very grippy. For heavy winds and headwinds I change to dx Roc.

Without throwing in winds and calm I won't know which or if any discs get bumped out of the bag. And for which weather conditions I'll use which disc. Or if I carry several plastics of some molds all the time. Field practice and rounds a plenty are necessary to see what's what.

Edit: I forgot to write that I lust after FLX Preds for more stability in killer gusts and not fearing shattering frozen to stone Z or X is an added bonus. Grippyness and more normal feel without the disc being totally solid might be a good thing. I've also thought of trying out a Surge to see what that does vs Wraith. Some say it's more predictable some say they are equal. Maybe a FLX for winter might bring predicatability with the overstable plastic and still have a better grip and feel than star and champ Wraiths. Does this sound right?

I'm thinking about taking out all my KC and sanny rocs and KC putters so they don't crack when its cold. Good ol Ranchos Ontarios and Big Beads

Fritz said:
Decided to start a new thread. We'll call this one, what are you going to try in your bag during the off season?

Here is my bag set up for the off season:

Drivers:

170g Champ Monster (Gummy) Thumber/Headwind
172g Star Monster - Thumber/Headwind
170g EXP-1 (1.7 plastic) - Mid-range head wind distances/Hyzer shots
169g Sirius Orion LF - Super Beat up/Distance/Medium Headwind
168g Sirius Orion LF - Fairly New/Distance/Medium Headwind Driver
170g Sirius Orion LS - Main Distance Driver/Tailwind
168g Sirius Orion LS - Turnover/Tailwind/Anhyzer
168g Champion Roadrunner - Rollers/Extreme Anhyzers

Midrange:

177g+ SMS - Overstable
177g+ QMS (Stiff) Slightly Overstable
177g+ QMS (Gummy) Super straight to Understable
180g Star Stingray - Understable extreme turnover/anhyzer

Putters:

175 5x JK Aviar-X - Gummy for cold and jump putts
175 11x KC Pro Aviar - Stiffer for drives/hot temp putting

170g Star Firebird
170g Millennium Orion LF
170g Star Sidewinder
175g Ontario Roc
180g KC Pro Roc
177g+ Q-Sentinel
175g Star CRO
175g DX CRO
169g Star TL
162g Star TL

What's this off season shit. You Colorado boys are soft. Time to put on the duck boots and wade in!

dgdave said:
I'm thinking about taking out all my KC and sanny rocs and KC putters so they don't crack when its cold. Good ol Ranchos Ontarios and Big Beads

KC putters can crack? I live in Wisconsin, so it gets cold.

By Off season, I mean there are no tournaments. Doesn't mean, I'll stop playing :lol:
Just like to tweak my bag for next years season of tournaments.

Roy said:
dgdave said:

KC putters can crack? I live in Wisconsin, so it gets cold.

I've heard they can. And especially since I use 10x aviars I think I'll make the switch. I pressed my luck last winter. I throw them a lot too.

I cracked a KC Pro Roc into the flightplate after a week of throwing it in cold weather.

over the summer i was throwing wizards, rancho rocs, gazelles, valks, and z- and x-preds. for the winter i'm replacing the x-pred with dx teebirds, adding a couple ontario rocs, and adding a rattler. overall i'm also moving to the upper 160s from the lower 170s.

It's probably a good idea to put the old beat dx plastics up for the cold weather. We are lucky to hit the 50's down here, so there really isn't a need for a winter bag. I have seen a few pictures and found a few dx discs that shatter hitting the chains during the winter so I see why you do it. I would be heartbroken if one of my favorite discs got damaged like that.

Donkeypuncher said:
It's probably a good idea to put the old beat dx plastics up for the cold weather. We are lucky to hit the 50's down here, so there really isn't a need for a winter bag. I have seen a few pictures and found a few dx discs that shatter hitting the chains during the winter so I see why you do it. I would be heartbroken if one of my favorite discs got damaged like that.

Not to mention that the air density has increased. Which means your favorite "beat to straight" disc might flip over in the cold air.

I take a bunch of discs out of my bag for the winter, simply because they're white :lol:

I'll lose my best ESP Comet, one of my newer Proline Squalls, and all my glo discs.

Mostly they'll get replaced by the same mold/plastic, but none of those are as nicely seasoned or fly quite the same (or they'd be in my bag! :lol:)

The only change I see myself making is adding a FLX Surge to the bag mainly to help with grip. It gets cold and dry here so I need all the grip I can get. I'm also going to start using destroyers more on the course now that I've practiced with them enough.

I'm not super crazy with how it flies, but the grip kinda makes up for it.

The only change I see myself making is adding a FLX Surge to the bag mainly to help with grip. It gets cold and dry here so I need all the grip I can get. I'm also going to start using destroyers more on the course now that I've practiced with them enough.

I'm not super crazy with how it flies, but the grip kinda makes up for it.

Well played my new bag set up today, and I got an Ace with my Star Stingray on the 6th hole :) I've been trying for a long time to Ace that damn hole too.

Fritz said:
Well played my new bag set up today, and I got an Ace with my Star Stingray on the 6th hole :) I've been trying for a long time to Ace that damn hole too.
Congrats, "new" Star Stingray or "old" Star Stingray? :p

No, I'm not talking about broken in...