• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes a lot of sense, and as a non-OG discmaniac, you articulated exactly one of the paths a lot of their fan base has undergone.

There's also the opposite path, which is people like me who stopped throwing Discmania years ago because of the lack of availability, and now bag and enjoy all of the new molds being produced.

That's a rough wait. What's the top 3 pulls you're hoping for, or are you intentionally in the dark on contents?

I tried to stay in the dark… ended up watching several vids... Of the molds that rotate, s-line MD1, Color Glow FD3, and Jackal stamp FD.

Also Glow Majesty, glow Magician, S-line PD or DD3. I'd take a soft Tactic. Any other molds in metal flake.

The only molds I don't want are Method and C-line DD3 (have some, don't throw them). I'm not interested in the Link or Logic.

For the DD1s, I kinda think horizon/halo/orbit is ugly, so I'd prefer them with a white middle to dye.

There's also the opposite path, which is people like me who stopped throwing Discmania years ago because of the lack of availability, and now bag and enjoy all of the new molds being produced.

This is me.

I liked the original Glow FDs and gave numerous more regular FDs a try. I still have several Night Strike IIs, but they cannot stay in the bag.

I really wanted to like the PD, and threw the C-PD moderately well, but I was totally burned by the S-PDs. I was expecting maybe a seasoned C, but all five I splurged on were all flippy to the point that I could not throw them because of the expectations I had for them. I really liked the G-PD, but they were chewed up too easily and then became impossible to replace.

I also really wanted to like the P1x, but I never gelled with that.

Same for the PDx for a forehand disc, but it always felt like I was throwing a razor blade. I hate how it felt in my hand, and more so how it came out of my hand.

I gave no further consideration to their mids after not liking the MD3.

Ultimately, I gave up on them because they only had limited molds I liked, and at the time, they were not producing them in white (my preferred color because it films the best).

I have since switched my preference to fun-dyed discs and bright yellow.

During Am Masters, I gave the Rainmaker a try because I was really disappointed with my putting performance. (Of note, I usually putt better after making a change) I made several big putts to close out the tournament, and I am still putting with Rainmakers today - this is the longest I have ever stuck with a putter.

I have been throwing the Tilt since Day 1 of its release.

During LSO, I finally conceded that I was leaning too heavily on Halo Leopard3s to throw straight. Mid-tournament, I picked up a Star TeeBird and Instinct. I finished the tournament with the TeeBird, but after giving the Instinct a fair shakedown, it now has that spot in the bag.

During a fun round at The Preserve, I found a Cloudbreaker3 and threw it against my Halo Destroyers. With a nearly identical flight, it routinely squeaked out 5-10 more feet of distance. I love my dyed discs, especially my Mario Mushroom Halo Destroyer, but I picked up a few dyed Cloudbreakers (the new run) and I have not looked back.

So, after converting to several Discmania molds, I picked up a dyed Mutant and Method. The Mutant has the same stability as my Justice but a little more glide, and the Method is essentially an EMac Truth.

The only disc to currently fail me is the Sky God IV. I drive really well with the Rainmakers, but they gouge too easily with too many throws and putts. The SG IV is more stable than the Rainmakers, but they are also deeper in the hand. I have some great drives, but not consistently. Right now I am using a Premium Marvel (Birdie), but I would jump on a premium plastic Rainmaker if they become available.

I am currently trying the Origin in place of an ESP Meteor, but it seems just a tad too finicky and will likely lose out to Meteor.

I am getting a Mystery Box. I am intrigued by the DD1 but I do not think I currently have a spot in the bag for it. Maybe the one Splice I tried was a freak, but it was not going to replace the Firebirds (not FAF) I throw for my backhand stable with solid fade shot - maybe the new PD?

This is me.

I liked the original Glow FDs and gave numerous more regular FDs a try. I still have several Night Strike IIs, but they cannot stay in the bag.

I really wanted to like the PD, and threw the C-PD moderately well, but I was totally burned by the S-PDs. I was expecting maybe a seasoned C, but all five I splurged on were all flippy to the point that I could not throw them because of the expectations I had for them. I really liked the G-PD, but they were chewed up too easily and then became impossible to replace.

I also really wanted to like the P1x, but I never gelled with that.

Same for the PDx for a forehand disc, but it always felt like I was throwing a razor blade. I hate how it felt in my hand, and more so how it came out of my hand.

I gave no further consideration to their mids after not liking the MD3.

Ultimately, I gave up on them because they only had limited molds I liked, and at the time, they were not producing them in white (my preferred color because it films the best).

I have since switched my preference to fun-dyed discs and bright yellow.

During Am Masters, I gave the Rainmaker a try because I was really disappointed with my putting performance. (Of note, I usually putt better after making a change) I made several big putts to close out the tournament, and I am still putting with Rainmakers today - this is the longest I have ever stuck with a putter.

I have been throwing the Tilt since Day 1 of its release.

During LSO, I finally conceded that I was leaning too heavily on Halo Leopard3s to throw straight. Mid-tournament, I picked up a Star TeeBird and Instinct. I finished the tournament with the TeeBird, but after giving the Instinct a fair shakedown, it now has that spot in the bag.

During a fun round at The Preserve, I found a Cloudbreaker3 and threw it against my Halo Destroyers. With a nearly identical flight, it routinely squeaked out 5-10 more feet of distance. I love my dyed discs, especially my Mario Mushroom Halo Destroyer, but I picked up a few dyed Cloudbreakers (the new run) and I have not looked back.

So, after converting to several Discmania molds, I picked up a dyed Mutant and Method. The Mutant has the same stability as my Justice but a little more glide, and the Method is essentially an EMac Truth.

The only disc to currently fail me is the Sky God IV. I drive really well with the Rainmakers, but they gouge too easily with too many throws and putts. The SG IV is more stable than the Rainmakers, but they are also deeper in the hand. I have some great drives, but not consistently. Right now I am using a Premium Marvel (Birdie), but I would jump on a premium plastic Rainmaker if they become available.

I am currently trying the Origin in place of an ESP Meteor, but it seems just a tad too finicky and will likely lose out to Meteor.

I am getting a Mystery Box. I am intrigued by the DD1 but I do not think I currently have a spot in the bag for it. Maybe the one Splice I tried was a freak, but it was not going to replace the Firebirds (not FAF) I throw for my backhand stable with solid fade shot - maybe the new PD?

I also found the Sky God IV to be too deep and overstable. I recommend trying a Neo Link; they are easy to find and feel much better in my sensitive baby hand. Mine has a relatively straight flight, but can still handle power well.

Was the Splice too overstable for the slot you're looking to fill? If so, I recommend a Metal Flake FD3 or a C Line PD. Again, both are readily available and roughly equivalent for my arm. Good luck!

I also found the Sky God IV to be too deep and overstable. I recommend trying a Neo Link; they are easy to find and feel much better in my sensitive baby hand. Mine has a relatively straight flight, but can still handle power well.

Was the Splice too overstable for the slot you're looking to fill? If so, I recommend a Metal Flake FD3 or a C Line PD. Again, both are readily available and roughly equivalent for my arm. Good luck!

In my original post, I forgot to mention that I am also now throwing the Hard Tactic. This is replacing my Jawbreaker Zones and Medium Harps. In this plastic, they are dead-straight at power and when thrown line-drive low. I am talking 200-250 putter drives that I try not to get more than a few feet off the ground. This usually means I put them into the ground before they fade. Again, I am throwing a Premium Marvel for the more finesse putter drives and the Rainmakers for putting and upshots.

As for Splice. I tried a friend's and it was incredibly beefy to the point that I would not throw it backhand. It was too aggressive in the fade and then subsequent skip or flare. Right now I am using seasoned Star, Champion Glow, and Sexton Firebirds. They are straight for about 70-75% of the flight before they even think about fading. I have had super beefy Firebirds, so I would say the ones I am throwing now are the least overstable Firebirds I can come across, and they have been near perfect. So, I am no rush to replace them. Of course, I am curious to see what the Discmania equivalent would be. The Splice does not appear to be it. From prior experience, the closest I can think of would be old C-PDs. I have a small stack of Thunderbirds, but those have developed a mild turn, especially when powered. My Firebirds barely move to the right unless I give them anhyzer. That is what I want - I mainly throw flat and like the disc to do the work - these Firebirds, when powered, will fly nearly flat and straight their whole flight before dumping out on me at the 320-330 mark, finishing about 340-360.

In my original post, I forgot to mention that I am also now throwing the Hard Tactic. This is replacing my Jawbreaker Zones and Medium Harps. In this plastic, they are dead-straight at power and when thrown line-drive low. I am talking 200-250 putter drives that I try not to get more than a few feet off the ground. This usually means I put them into the ground before they fade. Again, I am throwing a Premium Marvel for the more finesse putter drives and the Rainmakers for putting and upshots.

As for Splice. I tried a friend's and it was incredibly beefy to the point that I would not throw it backhand. It was too aggressive in the fade and then subsequent skip or flare. Right now I am using seasoned Star, Champion Glow, and Sexton Firebirds. They are straight for about 70-75% of the flight before they even think about fading. I have had super beefy Firebirds, so I would say the ones I am throwing now are the least overstable Firebirds I can come across, and they have been near perfect. So, I am no rush to replace them. Of course, I am curious to see what the Discmania equivalent would be. The Splice does not appear to be it. From prior experience, the closest I can think of would be old C-PDs. I have a small stack of Thunderbirds, but those have developed a mild turn, especially when powered. My Firebirds barely move to the right unless I give them anhyzer. That is what I want - I mainly throw flat and like the disc to do the work - these Firebirds, when powered, will fly nearly flat and straight their whole flight before dumping out on me at the 320-330 mark, finishing about 340-360.

The Discmania equivalent to a sexton Firebird is the Nordic Phenom. Not c-line and idk about the new Midnight Prowl, but the Nordic Phenom is all that- very straight until reliable fade comes very late. Maybe needs a few tree hits to get there.

The Tactic is what got me back into Discmania! I love that it's slower and less overstable than the Zone, but still very reliable. I currently bag a Razor Claw 3 and a soft.

The Tactic is what got me back into Discmania! I love that it's slower and less overstable than the Zone, but still very reliable. I currently bag a Razor Claw 3 and a soft.

I was considering the Razor Claw - would it be the difference you would see between a Jawbreaker Zone (Hard Tactic) and a Z Zone - whereas JB Zone/ H Tactic would fly straight and the Z Zone/ VIP Harp/ etc would be noticeable more stable/overstable?

Right now, I also bag an ESP Zone, but it gets lost between my Tactic and A2. I cannot remember the last time I threw my ESP Zone. If the Razor Claw would be noticeably but not grossly more stable than the Hard Tactic but longer than the Z/ESP Zone, I might be able to put the RC in and take two discs out. I am always looking to simplify without sacrificing shots (that was what got me in trouble with the Halo Leopard3s).

Just on the numbers. I'm kinda surprised and excited about this one.

I totally agree. Imagining a glidier, longer enigma. It's pretty exciting.

In your opinion, did discmania "make it right" with this move? Anyone have thoughts on this as a response to their discount code issue?

To be clear I'm NOT nitpicking. I just love posing questions in this forum with fellow discmaniacs!

I totally agree. Imagining a glidier, longer enigma. It's pretty exciting.

In your opinion, did discmania "make it right" with this move? Anyone have thoughts on this as a response to their discount code issue?

To be clear I'm NOT nitpicking. I just love posing questions in this forum with fellow discmaniacs!

Oh- hey! I didn't see that email! I clicked on your link and since I wasn't logged in, I didn't get to order. Appreciate your additional post here, otherwise I would have missed it. I ordered three.

Had they included free shipping, I would have been 100% satisfied for the mistake. Having to pay $10 in shipping… I'm 87% satisfied. If I were actually as vindictive as my contemplative self is, I would have returned the $99 boxes and re-bought them for $89. (And then also bought these Paradigms.)

I have so many drivers now…

Oh- hey! I didn't see that email! I clicked on your link and since I wasn't logged in, I didn't get to order. Appreciate your additional post here, otherwise I would have missed it. I ordered three.

Had they included free shipping, I would have been 100% satisfied for the mistake. Having to pay $10 in shipping… I'm 87% satisfied. If I were actually as vindictive as my contemplative self is, I would have returned the $99 boxes and re-bought them for $89. (And then also bought these Paradigms.)

I have so many drivers now…

Are you sure you got free shipping? I did not so I thought I should ask before I started to investigate or email customer service.

I was considering the Razor Claw - would it be the difference you would see between a Jawbreaker Zone (Hard Tactic) and a Z Zone - whereas JB Zone/ H Tactic would fly straight and the Z Zone/ VIP Harp/ etc would be noticeable more stable/overstable?

Right now, I also bag an ESP Zone, but it gets lost between my Tactic and A2. I cannot remember the last time I threw my ESP Zone. If the Razor Claw would be noticeably but not grossly more stable than the Hard Tactic but longer than the Z/ESP Zone, I might be able to put the RC in and take two discs out. I am always looking to simplify without sacrificing shots (that was what got me in trouble with the Halo Leopard3s).

The Tactic mold was tweaked for the Razor Claw 2 and 3 to be more overstable, and the Razor Claw 3 is the more overstable of the two. There is a noticeable difference when compared to a baseline Tactic, and they compliment each other well.

Two-apart Question

Do you think DM will still do a black Mystery Box, Creator Series? Or no since the Reds aren't selling out?

If you do think they're coming, what will be the new disc? Paradigm? Fd1? P1X?

Status
Not open for further replies.