• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy **** stop looking at the measurements on the pdga site and making conclusions. They are always inaccurate.
iT's NoT aN fD tHe MeAsUrEmEnTs ArE dIfFeRrEnT. hAiLeY mUsT bE wRoNg

"It's possible that Hailey is not correct." =/= "hAiLeY mUsT bE wRoNg"

They are literally making it her tour series disc. The PDGA measurements are notoriously innacurate.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3784918&postcount=165

They are making it her tour series disc, according to Hailey right? or has somebody else come out and confirmed that?

I know PDGA measurements are notoriously inaccurate. I should have added that to my original post. I'm just pointing out possibilities. It is also entirely possible, and more likely than not, that it is a halo FD. but as far as I know so far the only confirmation we have is from Hailey

The PDGA measurements are notoriously innacurate.

I refuse to believe that the actual measurements are inaccurate to a notorious extent as it is not rocket science to operate a caliper. I am way more inclined to believe that the discs sent to reapproval, or the discs you measure at home, are indeed very different from the discs sent to PDGA. It is not that uncommon to find visibly different discs within the same run, let alone across different runs.

I'm not entirely sure if your comment implied (unjustly) PDGA's incompetence in measuring things or if you referred to run-to-run variation in disc dimensions but if it was the latter, then feel free to ignore this reply :eek:

Last edited:
First of all DM - I'm stoked for the Iron Samurai 3, so thanks for brightening up my week.

It looks like Innova is putting out what I assume is another DM originals mold in the "Hawkeye" that recently got PDGA approval. So that is now 3 molds - the FD, PD, and what might be an FD2 from Innova in a matter of 6-8 weeks. What is the general thought on this from Discmania throwers? I cannot help but feel slightly perturbed at the childish behavior as in - first undercutting DMs supply knowing full well that Innova owned the molds and then turning around to re-sell the molds on their own. I get that they are good molds and I am half tempted to try them out, but honestly don't really feel like giving my money to Innova based not only on their treatment of their players (based on reports from Kona, Ricky, etc) but also how they totally screwed DM over.

How many people are going to pick up these new re-branded DM originals from Innova?

I agree. We don't know the details of how all of this went down, but Innova's move seems morally bogus but business brilliant. They are The Godfather company in this game, and it sucks that it's so hard to compete with them.

Because of this, I wish DM could move 3X faster to be more competitive. Stating the obvious, they could sell a lot more if they had a lot more available. Hopefully 2022 can see exponential growth for them so they can reclaim their place in the market, but they can't do that with standard color (i.e. no swirl/non-aesthetic) plastics, subpar stamps, minimal and sporadic restocks, disappointing mystery boxes, dissatisfied releases, high prices, and low durability (mainly d-line flex 2). They're reinventing, we all get that, but my hope for this company is not just to crawl back to their old place but to claim a newer, higher position in the pecking order. DM has what it takes and deserves to look and operate like Discraft, so my hope is they/we can get there. 5 year plan?

Last edited:
Discmania Support Reply

This got me wondering…DM is low on a LOT of things (again), but we know they're machines are not up and running at 100% capacity. Do you think they're saving/shipping discs for the biggest restock in the history of disc golf or do you think this ebb and flow will be how they have to restock since they have to split and ship their inventory overseas?

Leading to my ultimate question: do you think we will see a stateside manufacturing site for DM in the future (likely in Colorado), and do you think that would help with the problem?

The entirety of 2021 we took things via air, a decision that many companies weren't willing to take because it's outrageously expensive. 2022 will bring somewhat regular container shipments and higher volume restocks in turn. First one should arrive in a couple weeks. More urgent disc releases such as signature ones will likely still be taken via air since they are more time sensitive. Lots of improvements to build on this year for sure :) Q1 is going to be a banger

Would be cool if there comes a day when you could buy swirly s-line cloud breaker online without having either anxiety about the 10x retail price or smashing the computer buttons to get through checkout.....

Hopefully it is the bottom now and the future will be better

Would be cool if there comes a day when you could buy swirly s-line cloud breaker online without having either anxiety about the 10x retail price or smashing the computer buttons to get through checkout.....

Hopefully it is the bottom now and the future will be better

Latitude 64 next door has it figured out pretty well. Discmania will catch up.

BTW, is that P2 machine still pumping out P2s until demand is met, or is it put to different work?

I refuse to believe that the actual measurements are inaccurate to a notorious extent as it is not rocket science to operate a caliper. I am way more inclined to believe that the discs sent to reapproval, or the discs you measure at home, are indeed very different from the discs sent to PDGA. It is not that uncommon to find visibly different discs within the same run, let alone across different runs.

I'm not entirely sure if your comment implied (unjustly) PDGA's incompetence in measuring things or if you referred to run-to-run variation in disc dimensions but if it was the latter, then feel free to ignore this reply :eek:

My comment was more to say that the PDGA measurements are not a good source of proof for a mold. It could easily be that the measurements are 100% accurate, but if I give you 5 destroyers from 5 different runs you are not going to see the same measurements. There is enough variablity disc to disc to explain the differences in measurements between the original FD, the fairway disc and the hawkeye. It was not meant to be an attack on the PDGA, although I see how it came off that way.

Discmania Support Reply

Hmmmmm? :/

Get your Cloudbreaker 3 on Feb 3rd!
Free bump/promo for discmania

Yep both are still true :). What you'll see restocked on the 3rd is still part of the batch that should have been sold for release but was delayed for a long time. There will still be a 2022 release to come later in the year

Discmania Support Reply

Not only that, but how about that production update??? Tournament season is starting soon, I'd be awesome to know when to expect the MD1 and FD out in production.

We'll have some more news for you quite soon. It's possible that there won't be a full on update right now but you'll have an answer to at least one of those :).

Discmania 2022 Wish List Top 3

While we wait for the DM production update, I started thinking about what would my top three wish list items for 2022 be. I thought it might make for an interesting conversation, so what the top three wish list items you want to see from DM this year? (The Sky is the limit - new molds, plastics, stamps, special editions, etc)

My Top 3:
1. Premium plastic availability for the evolution line putt and approach discs (Tactic and Logic specifically)
2. S-Line Original runs and not just special editions
3. Higher speed understable driver - Like an Essance in a 10 or 11 speed (10/6/-2/2)?

While we wait for the DM production update, I started thinking about what would my top three wish list items for 2022 be. I thought it might make for an interesting conversation, so what the top three wish list items you want to see from DM this year? (The Sky is the limit - new molds, plastics, stamps, special editions, etc)

My Top 3:
1. Premium plastic availability for the evolution line putt and approach discs (Tactic and Logic specifically)
2. S-Line Original runs and not just special editions
3. Higher speed understable driver - Like an Essance in a 10 or 11 speed (10/6/-2/2)?

3. for this slot a particular Astronaut should work. I cant remember the color coding but one of the more understable ones might work

Yes, stock S-line runs please.

The Astronaut 100% fits this slot.

I feel like a lot of people are not a fan of the Active line plastics (myself included). A 10 speed Essence-type driver in Swedish/Italian plastic would be a huge hit.

3. for this slot a particular Astronaut should work. I cant remember the color coding but one of the more understable ones might work

Yes, stock S-line runs please.

The Astronaut has a 23mm rim which is a huge jump up from the Essence. It's rated as 12 6 -4 1. Having said that the high turn does make it a little forgiving for less powerful throwers but it flies in a huge S curve as opposed to the Essence's very straight flight. I love the Essence for that. The biggest problem with the new plastics is the inability to make discs that weigh much less than 170g. Also the Active line is transparent which makes it difficult to find your discs.

I agree, please bring back S-Line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts