• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

Asking you zone experts; How does the stability of regular ESP compare to the 2018 Tour Series Swirl? Is there much difference flight wise?

Pretty much the same for me. Tour series might be a tad bit stiffer and maybe a hair bit more os. But for the most part they are interchangeable.

I have a few Champ Gators, different runs, and I think this flat run of MD5 is much different and closer to a Zone. The bead is different and the Zone is larger diameter. From reading the MD5 thread, the runs vary substantially.

Have just been reading about the history of the Buzzz, when the first run came out, mods and updates to tooling, notable runs etc and wondered whether there was a similar record for the Zone?

I believe the first run was a 2008 super color from Worlds or such like? Then there's the limited editions, hybrids, ten years, get freakys etc. Does anyone have a timeliness of zone runs?

Have just been reading about the history of the Buzzz, when the first run came out, mods and updates to tooling, notable runs etc and wondered whether there was a similar record for the Zone?

I believe the first run was a 2008 super color from Worlds or such like? Then there's the limited editions, hybrids, ten years, get freakys etc. Does anyone have a timeliness of zone runs?

Paging FHowl!

I think he might have posted a pic of a first run Zone once, or maybe I dreamed it. Regardless, he's probably got Zone knowledge.

I don't know timelines, but I do remember Michael Johansen mentioning the origin of the Zone.

Well, I had no putter I liked when I switched to discraft in 08, since I came from being a rhyno putter before. The zone was their first attempt at making me a low profile, stable putter

Anyone want to save me a trip to the practice field?

Sticking a couple of Zones back in my bag and trying to decide which ones.

The jawbreaker is in for sure. I remember it is a pretty straight flyer by Zone standards and tends to not go too far once it hits the ground.

Probably going to stick one of my ZFLX ones in there. Likely the flat one and not the puddle topped one. I've thrown it a fair amount in the past and it always served me well.

Just to fill space, I need to stick another one in there. I have a puddle topped titanium that is very over stable and likes to skip a bit. I also have a new swirly ESP that is flat but I haven't thrown it yet so I don't know how it compares to the rest.

Anyone thro the newer ESP's? How are they?

Wasn't a choice, but if you want them to stop where they hit put a Soft Zone in your bag. [emoji41]

And if you'll hook me up with a mid 160's or less ESP Zone you may have my first born.... although she is a bit willful.... and her husband might object. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone want to save me a trip to the practice field?

Sticking a couple of Zones back in my bag and trying to decide which ones.

The jawbreaker is in for sure. I remember it is a pretty straight flyer by Zone standards and tends to not go too far once it hits the ground.

Probably going to stick one of my ZFLX ones in there. Likely the flat one and not the puddle topped one. I've thrown it a fair amount in the past and it always served me well.

Just to fill space, I need to stick another one in there. I have a puddle topped titanium that is very over stable and likes to skip a bit. I also have a new swirly ESP that is flat but I haven't thrown it yet so I don't know how it compares to the rest.

Anyone thro the newer ESP's? How are they?

Sorry bruh but I only carry one Zone and I bag it for the beef. I guess I can see the sense in bagging a straight one but I throw other discs for that.

In my experience, all premium plastic Zones are beefy enough with the flx varieties slightly less so. I also like them flat, not puddle and definitely no dome. I've had a couple soft X and they were both extremely puddle top.

Get Freaky FLX Zone

Got a chance to throw one of these recently on the course. Unknown weight, but it's definitely 170+.

For reference, I bag a regular Z Zone, McBeth 5X. It flies super overstable and doesn't glide really at all. Great for short tee shots and upshots with predictable fade.

Now, the FLX Z Zone is something a little different. Slightly mellower, less overstable flight. Not at all flippy, but I find I'm able to push the FLX Zone further than the regular Z. It also doesn't fade as hard or as soon.

I don't mind the FLX plastic, either. Usually I'm not a fan of this stuff, but with the Zone FLX plastic does really well.

The disc is a winner. I didn't have a learning curve with it, and I started getting it close to the basket on lots of short par 3s. I also found that it worked great for upshots.

FLX Z Zone is very much worth a look for anyone who likes the Zone. I loved it immediately. The disc itself is beautiful as well.

Paging FHowl!

I think he might have posted a pic of a first run Zone once, or maybe I dreamed it. Regardless, he's probably got Zone knowledge.

I only have a 2008 World's...tbird888 is the one with the goods:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2626759&postcount=23

Am I the only one who throws an overstable upshot disc (like a Zone) for EVERY upshot (distance permitting), unless their isn't room (out to the right for RHBH).

I picked up a McB Z Zone and took it out for the first time this weekend. Since everyone says this is the best thing since sliced bread I expected it to jump from my hand into every basket. That did not happen. In fact, the disc kept taking a nose dive well before it's intended target. It's nothing like I bag. The flat top is soooo flat it's a little weird. It's a beautiful disc, for sure. But what the heck? I primarily throw r backhand. It has to be me, right?

I picked up a McB Z Zone and took it out for the first time this weekend. Since everyone says this is the best thing since sliced bread I expected it to jump from my hand into every basket. That did not happen. In fact, the disc kept taking a nose dive well before it's intended target. It's nothing like I bag. The flat top is soooo flat it's a little weird. It's a beautiful disc, for sure. But what the heck? I primarily throw r backhand. It has to be me, right?

Were you putting with it or throwing it? If putting then it's going to fade early and hard, that's what it's designed to do.
Most people (my self included) love it for approaches and short range drives. Glide is low and it's very resistant to wind so you know what it's going to do every time. And you can throw it really hard and know you have a low likelihood of overshooting the target.

It is designed to be consistent, even on a windy day. Once you get used to the flight you won't be able to live without a TRULY overstable upshot disc in your bag. As I mentioned a few days ago, I use this type of disc (Zone, Pig, Rhyno, MD5) for every upshot if I have room to the right (rhbh). I wouldn't call it a beginners disc but once you grow into it, it will become one of the most important slots in your bag, certainly top 6 slots. Don't be scared to use the room out to the right and let it hook towards the basket...

Were you putting with it or throwing it? If putting then it's going to fade early and hard, that's what it's designed to do.
Most people (my self included) love it for approaches and short range drives. Glide is low and it's very resistant to wind so you know what it's going to do every time. And you can throw it really hard and know you have a low likelihood of overshooting the target.

Doubles as a wind putter too!

Thought I'd share some Zone love with the two in my bag!

I use a TourZ for short approaches, and the ESP for OS midrange workhorse duties.

0CZMlmC.jpg

Latest posts