• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

O'Hauser

The course is great!!!! I hope all the people that don't like it stay away so I get all to myself since they say "everybody hates it".

Bunch of cry babies just because you had a bad round or can't get a two on every hole doesn't mean the course is bad..... :)

yeah, I recently read one of the comments in the comment box and it made me laugh. Why anybody would give a negative comment for course improvements is beyond me..? I really enjoyed O'hauser's new layout! It's a quality course that has the ability to be a VERY tough course in the long pin positions. If the locals don't like it, they should go play a local "pitch & putt".

On a side note, Thank you Tallpaul for the guided tour!!:clap::thmbup::hfive:

After playing the course a few days ago, I understand some of the whining going on, but I don't really agree with it. I only played from the red and blue tees, but I could see the gold tees being not as much fun. There was about two holes I didn't like because they seemed to be poke and hope, but otherwise all the fairways were FAIR. There are a couple trees that could be removed. I really enjoyed both my rounds from the blue and red, from the blues par isn't a bad score and a really good score would be several (like -5) under. From the reds I shot -2 and didn't even do very well, a really good score could be as much as -10.

This is definatley the hardest course in the fox valley, it really forces accuracy unlike some other courses (cough plamann).

If there was one thing I could change, I would add a couple more longer open type holes and a few less wooded holes, but it doesn't look like the park space would allow for this.

I birdied four of the last five from reds today....:)

*Discovering the blues are more scoreable than originally thought as well.*

To re address this issue of "whining" that everyone keeps bringing up, it isn't whining, it's making educated evaluations of the course based on what we know about disc golf courses. Rusch_bag and myself are both reasonably good players (both 950+) and we have both played a plethora of courses around the country. We dislike O'hauser because it isn't challenging, it's, in our opinions, poorly layed out. Holes that force you to get bad scores aren't hard when you're only getting bad scores because the course is making you throw multiple short shots (a par three that requires two 200 foot shots in very different directions and then a putt). The current layout from the gold pads makes everyone throw essentially an upshot for each throw, not really allowing for any birdies. This is annoying because you don't have any opportunities to really open up and have a great round and it also makes everyone cluster scores closer together. Good shots aren't rewarded properly because on almost every hole a "good shot" is a 100-300 foot upshot without allowing any opportunities for a further throw.

Par three holes should be birdie-able, meaning that you should be able to get a two on it. That doesn't mean having a good drive and then a 200 foot throw in, but having a good drive and then a twenty foot putt. I feel as though even though the hole lengths at O'hauser make it them birdie-able they actually aren't because of the strange angles that make up the fairways (a disc simply won't fly straight for 200 feet and then at a 90 degree angle right for another 250 feet). This of course doesn't apply to all of the holes but to many of them it does.

I understand that a lot of people are enjoying the course and the revenue that it is producing is very helpful but I would really appreciate it if our reviews were not referred to as "whines". Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the course and I just want to be sure that everyone understands where some of the people that dislike it are coming from with their reviews. Never forget that negative reviews inspire improvements, so try to remember to acknowledge other people's inputs.

Off the top of my head, I can only recall 2 holes out there from the long tees (not long pin positions) that are impossible to birdie. Other than that, it's just a challenging course!?...

This is the kind of course that Dave242 will not like; because, as Mickas above has pointed out; there is not much scoring opportunity here (shooting gold tees) and scores will be based more on one losing strokes due to off the fairway shots than gaining strokes with deuces. I don't think there is going to be the continual -10 under par; even from top level players; that 95% of all courses offer.

But, I personally, don't see anything wrong with a course that makes top level players shoot a par to win. Courses used for majors in bolf are designed just that way and require extrememly small landing areas to be hit (even after negociating often quite narrow "air tubes" as Dave242 likes to call them); and even the best players in the game (of bolf); simply can't get large amounts of birdies on those style courses.

I think the version of O'hauser prior to this one; was somewhat in that category; especially on the back nine; and the current version; from the gold tees (which are only present on half the course); most certainly is. Yes, many of the shots (from the golds) are quirky, and discs, for many of those, can not negociate the fairway in one shot.

The top level bolf courses force even Tiger and his like to often take the driver out of the line up on many holes and use something with more control. Those style courses also offer up two or three par 5's, where length is still the key. At O'hauser; 5, 7, and 12, still offer opportunities for distance to be a major advantage.

Also, keep in mind that all of the pins are currently in the short positions. As those go to longer positions, it will become paramount to have that first great placement shot; followed up by a very tight approach; with some distance requirement as well.

This is certainly going to be a par is a very good score; especailly when longer pins are in; and a couple of par rounds (or even above par) may very well win tourneys; even with top level fields. I just don't see anything wrong with this philosophy at some courses.

And, I will add again, that having played a number of rounds out there now, that blue tees are much more scoreable than I originally thought. Though, that is not to say that most of the course, also offers up opportuities to take a four with just one mistake (and it won't need to be a big mistake...even small miscalculations will hurt you...).

Last edited:
The course is "breaking in" some already, and will not be "as punishing" just off the fairways in a year or two. Hole #6 (original #2) is an example of what the course will look like, as a whole, once it's properly "broken in." That long tee has been in play for more than a year; and shows how things will beat down once the course is played for a while.

The work crew out there; had been at it; just about every Sunday for more than a year (with a few of the real hard core members out there much more often than that). So, just lately, there has been a bit of a "catch a breather" period; but fairway widening will commence again shortly, which will also help; to at least give a little better "out" options; when off the fairway.

If you give me a time on Sundays I might be able to come out sometimes, despite my criticism I am interested in improving the course, I just wanted to offer a review from my perspective.

Noon is the usual time; though Rich is usually out there before that. Ryan will more than likely have the shop open prior to that as well; so, if you want to come earlier, you could play a round and then join the crew for a few hours; and then, play is usually in order, again, once work is done.

Also, Sunday is league day at Rollin' Ridge; 10 a.m., so, you could go out there first, and if the enchanment of that place doesn't keep you there all day; you could come to O'hauser afterward...

I'm so stoked to get back and play both rolling ridge and the new o'hauser. PAUL we have to scheadule some rounds when I am back, should be home the 1st of august.

I don't understand the poke and hope concept that some people are bringing up about this course. All I see is that hole 3 is kinda stupid, almost a 180 turn in the fairway. And 13 is quite a bit of luck. I find every other hole fair. Hole 17 all you have to do is hit your line and you have a more than easy 3, at times an easy 2. If you miss your line you either bounce into the fairway with an easy 4, tough 3, or into the woods, which is still a fairly easy 5. Hole 11 is a REAL par 4. I've gotten out of the woods (from the blues) on my first shot, just hit your line and you will get there. I had a 4, and only because I shanked the upshot and left my self a 40 footer, I could have easily gotten a 3 here if i didn't thow my up to the wrong place. Everything else I find fair. Personally I see hole 6 from blues as a stupid hole, but I've seen someone (Bill Dickens) get in dueceable range off the tee.

^^^See all the rants about Nevin and world courses in general. This is going to be a hot topic for quite some time. Most top level players want distance to be a major factor on at least some of the course. I think the real point being made, in general, is that level players dislikes wasteing a shot to get out of trouble, while thinking that their original shot was only a few feet off the mark. The other valid point, is that courses like this are "beat downs" that test you hole after hole, round after round, and if you begin your round in a bit of a bad mood, it's easy for said mood to go south. There is not much room for relaxation at courses of this nature. And, if it starts to go bad, it can continue in that direction in a hurry.