• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio Meet Thread

ohio meet 2011

• Gordon Holton / Alum Creek / Brent Hambrick

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Deis Hill / Arboretum-Spiker Park / Lincoln Park

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Buck Creek / Handyman Ace Hardware DGC / Belmont Park

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Pickerington DGC / Flat Rock DGC / Hocking Peaks

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Brent Hambrick / Lobdell Reserve / Horns Hill

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
danhyzer
roadtripstuff
smoothsailor

for commitee! :hfive:

as for me, whenever there is an ohio meet, i will seriously try to make it (keeping in mind that i'm a family guy without much free time). and it wont matter if it's a bunch of casual play covering a few courses or a tournament set up, i'll still try to come.

so whatever the majority wants... i'm a cow, i'll follow the herd, and i look forward to much fun :popcorn:

I'll be on the committee. Sure. I want everyone to bring a friend too. I feel like even though its a dgcr meet up for us, we should promote it and get as language people to come as possible, members or not.

Will anyone be mad if I ask the mode to switch polls on may 10?

Also, no matter where this is held I think the committee should get together with the local club(s) about playing and camping/hotel arrangements.

If it ends up being number 1, I know there is camping, not far from the course, at Delaware State Park/Gordon Holton. Individual campsites are $28, but there are also group sites available that would end up being around $5.00 per person if there are at least 20 people, $1 or so more if there are less.

As for the local club, there are two for the courses in #1. Mood, for Gordon Holton and Columbus Flyers for Hoover/Brent Hambrick. The guys at Mood are all pretty cool, but some of the Flyers can be a little iffy, so I don't really want to deal with them, but that's up to you. I don't know that either can get us any kind of deal on lodging.

:doh: oh and the 10th sounds fine, maybe even a little earlier. Honestly we have plenty of time so just do it whenever you'd like.

I also say friends welcome, bring along whoever.

FWIW, if we do a 2 day, I vote #5 on the 2nd day, assuming #1 wins. If #2 ends up winning, maybe Roscoe +2 more, that course kicked my a$$ last time I was there, I need revenge.

from how I understand how this is going to work, we will be splitting up the 3 courses between the two days. If I'm wrong someone let me know.

FWIW, if we do a 2 day, I vote #5 on the 2nd day, assuming #1 wins. If #2 ends up winning, maybe Roscoe +2 more, that course kicked my a$$ last time I was there, I need revenge.

Roscoe is one of those courses that could use some more exposure IMO but its just not a very central location. But if someone got real ambitious and started early, you probably could hit Roscoe, then go to Wooster for that course, then Lincoln Park, on over to Arboretum then down to Deis; but I hate to see what you would feel like climbing that last huge hill at Deis. lol

Everyone should subscribe to this thread to keep updated. So far it looks like were going to cbus.

Good idea. :thmbup:

Roscoe is one of those courses that could use some more exposure IMO but its just not a very central location. But if someone got real ambitious and started early, you probably could hit Roscoe, then go to Wooster for that course, then Lincoln Park, on over to Arboretum then down to Deis; but I hate to see what you would feel like climbing that last huge hill at Deis. lol

Good idea. :thmbup:

agreed about Roscoe, I think Lincoln and Roscoe in one day would be better than Spike and Lincoln, but that's just bringing it more North.
There's no reason Roscoe shouldn't be rated 4+ imo. So I'll try to gain it more exposure by posting about it in an Ohio thread :)

I'm down for this, I skimmed the 11 pages previous to this... I agree with doing central Ohio first, making it as close as possible to everyone the first time, then making rounds to all the other metropolitan areas...

As for dates, I know June 4th that someone said will be out for me, as that's the BHMO weekend... beginning of September will be good for me, the end not so much as my wedding is on Oct.1st, so ill be super busy leading up to that...

I know at a later one I'd like to incorporate the Great Blue Heron course in Norwalk Ohio, its an amazing course that is largely overlooked, and also gets so.little traffic that it'll be available all the.time...

But that's for.later...

from how I understand how this is going to work, we will be splitting up the 3 courses between the two days. If I'm wrong someone let me know.

I don't think we really got in-depth as to how we are going to play them, but a couple did say they would only be able to make it one day. I think what some people were thinking is try to get all three of the main ones done the first day (Saturday), time permitting, then whoever is staying for the second day (Sunday) could head to the other courses.

Of course that could all change once we get things narrowed down, maybe some of those folks will be able to make both days and we could go from there.

I look forward to playing some new Ohio courses and meeting some new peeps. I voted for #4 because I enjoy the Hocking Hills. It's a geographically interesting area of Ohio. Hocking College DGC is not far from Hocking Peaks so there is another decent course in the area. I just hope the weather cooperates. Every DG course in Ohio could be underwater by September if this rains keeps coming.

The Hocking Hills area is beautiful. I haven't been down there since high school, but I plan on playing the courses there this summer whether the meet ends up there or not.

Yeah, I got a cabin for the family down in Hocking Hills summer before last. They didn't let me go disc golfing though. It was all horseback riding and hiking. But then there was always sitting in the hot tub. That was my favorite part as I think I strong armed my shoulder to hell then.

hocking is great fun. i go there every summer for family vacation. hardcore camping, you know, in an air conditioned cabin!

this summer when i go i'll hit up hocking peaks and anything else i can time permitting.

what's up with the wayfarer's roost? anyone play it? i don't remember seeing it listed last year. or maybe i forgot? :p

it was listed as Memorial Park.

i researched it, found the point of contact and the actual course name on PDGA and DGScene and looked into a few other things. i requested the course name be updated to the correct course name here at dgcr. there is incorrect info listed on dgcr about the course. i'll try to get to the course this summer and fully update the course (re-map, re-measure with tape for accuracy, new pics etc...)

hocking is great fun. i go there every summer for family vacation. hardcore camping, you know, in an air conditioned cabin!

this summer when i go i'll hit up hocking peaks and anything else i can time permitting.

right next to Lake Hope is Hocking College DGC, also, right next to Lake Hope, there is a camp ground for actual campers. it has a pond out front i believe. when you drive past the camp grounds, there are a few baskets visible. i don't see the course listed on this site.

anyone have any info about that course? not sure of the name of the camp grounds or the specific location (maybe at route 328/route 56 crossing???)

Hocking Hills, little bit of heaven in Ohio

Attended Rio Grande College many moons ago and roomed with a guy who was a summer camp counselor in Hocking Hills somewhere. Anyway, we would take occassional roadtrips to "The Hills". One time we took a hike to what he called " Devils Toilet". It was a creek bed that dropped into a hole in the Earth. He climbed into the hole and beckoned us to follow. It was amazing when you climbed to the bottom of the hole and you were standing in a decent sized cavern. Will always remember the experience. Wish I could remember where that place was.

I live in Pittsburgh but my family has a farm in Ohio. Does this qualify me for an Ohio meet? Depending on the weekend in Sept, I shouldn't have any problem making the trip. I will be at the Vibram Open the first weekend in Sept but I think the rest should be open.

I live in Pittsburgh but my family has a farm in Ohio. Does this qualify me for an Ohio meet? Depending on the weekend in Sept, I shouldn't have any problem making the trip. I will be at the Vibram Open the first weekend in Sept but I think the rest should be open.

The more the merrier. If you could make it, that would be awesome. I'm sure everyone else would agree, they'll probably chime in shortly.

Latest posts