• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OKTHROWBERFEST 2014 -- FINALS VOTING POLL

Vote for your THREE favorites for Okthrowberfest 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The top 3 at the moment are all deserving front runners. Exceptional work! Have to give a shout out to Day Well Spent and Fall Night Terror, both of which I very much enjoy for different reasons. To the maker of Lycanus, I have so many questions, including, "Is it for sale?"

Thanks again Bennett for your effort in organizing this unique contest.

Very surprised at how the voting is turning out. Some of the more simplistic 1-2 color dyes are climbing the ranks, even ones that don't seem to go along with the theme of October or Halloween. And some of the more complex ones are falling below those? Looks like I'm gonna enter a one color plotter cut dye next year and see how it goes.

It's open voting, not just dyers, so people vote what they like :)

Next year we will have a more direct theme, and we may go to a dyer judging panel. I thought today of the idea to let the entrants vote next year, and can't vote for your own. Lots of time to iron out some great new details for next year's contest!

Sorry, I just re-read my previous post and I'm afraid I came off as a troll. I didn't mean to discredit anyone's dyes because they were all magnificent. I just thought a few of the dyes should have placed a little higher than they did. I like the idea of dyers voting and not for their own but that is just my opinion.

That's a wrap!

15456097407_b6491b1af4_z.jpg

I'm truly humbled by the win, I just hope that people voted on what they liked, and didn't vote for Murder of Crows because they guessed it was mine. I promise you there was no rigging of any kind, before anyone tries to throw that out there. Not my style, nor would I want that to happen with this contest in which I put so much work into.

I'm out of town for a few days but I have my laptop and will compile the full payout as soon as I get the time to put it all together. This is going to take a LOT of work! Thank you again to all who voted, all who entered, and all who gawked at the INCREDIBLE art on display in this year's contest!

I would like to know any input on anyone willing to provide it on which entries you voted for and why.

What criteria did you use, which ones really jumped out at you and for what reasons, etc

What changes would you recommend for next year as well?

Just want to know as much as possible, thanks in advance!

Congrats Bennett! Awesome Okthrowberfest, as always!
Personally, I've never dyed a disc, but really admire the artistry in the work you all do. I suppose it's the art that really gets my attention, so painted dyes get a leg up on the competition. Of course, bold colors (and multiplicity of colors must be harder) just grabs my eye. After that, it's bold, crisp work that I admire. It's kind of like music: a great hook draws me in, then the talent on display keeps me mesmerized. Hope that helps.

btw, your "Crows" is stunning, in natural light as well as in glow (and has a cool, dual title, of course); while Brian's "Hand" grabs the attention, keeps you mesmerized, AND creeps you out! I voted for these, and another, but wanted to vote for about ten of 'em!

The hand that feeds is too disturbing for my personal taste so didn't get one of my votes. But I have to admit the dye work is incredible. DTP what did you use for the green in the shirt? Fantastic color. I did vote for murder of crows. So well executed and such a perfect disc choice. Pie or peril is another one that just truly amazes me. As does lycanus oktoberus. Such fine details. :clap: truly amazing work from everyone. Thanks again Bennett for taking the time to put this together each year. And thanthanks to all the sponsors who make it possible.

I also could not vote for the Hand that Feeds because of the content. I am surprised that you entered a disc into the contest, Bennett. Your dye is sick (I voted for it in my top three on that other website).

I guess there could be two schools of thought...that you deserve the first place prize because of all your hard work, or that you should forfeit any winnings as the event organizer. I tend to go with more of the latter.

I also could not vote for the Hand that Feeds because of the content. I am surprised that you entered a disc into the contest, Bennett. Your dye is sick (I voted for it in my top three on that other website).

I guess there could be two schools of thought...that you deserve the first place prize because of all your hard work, or that you should forfeit any winnings as the event organizer. I tend to go with more of the latter.

Why should he be excluded? He did all the work to procure the donations before the event started, the polls are blind, and he did a killer job. I see no reason for him to step aside. Either you're just trolling here or haven't paid any attention to the process.

I voted for his and it was my #1 pick. I also voted for the pie, as it was incredibly creative and the 100 Acres of Halloween because it was very well done and a great theme.

I would like to know any input on anyone willing to provide it on which entries you voted for and why.
Did Someone Call For an Exorcism?
Murder of Crows,
The Hand That Feeds:
What criteria did you use, which ones really jumped out at you and for what reasons, etc

Just took a quick look and picked the ones that stood out to me.

What changes would you recommend for next year as well?

I saw a post about painting, discs that are painted shouldn't be allowed in a dye contest. Or it should be mentioned, because I wouldn't vote for a disc if I knew it was painted.

Yea, this is a bit of a bold statement. We wouldn't have this contest if it wasn't for him and he earned it fair and square. He deserves the winnings if not only for his amazing dye job, but for keeping up with this event and organizing it from the ground up and seeing all of it through to finish.

He deserves 1st place and the prize that goes with it.

I LOVED so many of these dyes this year, for many different reasons.
100 Acres if Halloween was such a great design --- Pooh and Tigger dressed up as EACH OTHER! -- and the different shades of orange and the background, really a great disc and a great choice for the contest.

"Pie, or Peril"? was an early entry, and when I first saw it, I thought it was going to be the winner. Excellent design and incredible execution.

I have heard a number of people say that "The Hand That Feeds" was "just too creepy," which of course is subjective, but the dye itself, I mean, WOW. The shading, the eyes, the greens and background and the subtle blending, I mean, it's a PAINTING, done in DYE, which as we all know means you can't go backwards and paint over any mistakes.

Lycantus Okthrowberus was another where I literally stopped breathing on first sight. The hair, the wolf's expression, the detail, truly impressive. I can only guess that this didn't get enough votes because the picture was down the list, but again, no matter how this contest would be posted, even if it were on an external site, they can't all be posted at the top, and I did use a random list generator to determine the order the entries were presented, so I have no regrets and can't think of a more fair way to post such a deep list of entries.

Peekaboo was another early entry that I thought would be close to winning on first sight. Great design, and the details of the bleeding text are amazing!

Moonlight Madness has such a great Halloween vibe. Clean and clear design, excellent use on a circular canvas, and great shading on the background. Hard to get more votes by comparison to others who used more color and detail, but the dye itself is such a great choice and so well done.

Full Moon Feast was one that got one of my three votes ---- I love when artists dye the contest and the year in their design. The color pallette was covered from top to bottom, the execution is flawless and clean, and the design is AMAZING! The bones in the basket, the rot on her legs, the clean, crisp outlines, truly remarkable!

I was also FLOORED by Rob Edwards' entries, and thought he might be able to repeat as Ok. champion. The colors, the designs, and Rob's clear style and clean work are nothing short of impressive.

A Day Well Spent may be one of the best dyes of the year. I can only suspect that it didn't get enough votes for it not being scary or something, I don't know, that one is just beautiful and unforgettable.

I could seriously write a novel on almost all the entries, so don't take it as a knock if I didn't mention your dye above. Thanks again to all the artists for giving this contest their all!

Why should he be excluded? He did all the work to procure the donations before the event started, the polls are blind, and he did a killer job. I see no reason for him to step aside. Either you're just trolling here or haven't paid any attention to the process.:clap:

I voted for his and it was my #1 pick. I also voted for the pie, as it was incredibly creative and the 100 Acres of Halloween because it was very well done and a great theme

samezies!! :hfive:

So many siiiiiick entries and hard work into this contest.

Latest posts