• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old age setting in!

Most older players come to prefer light weight drivers. I carry a handful myself. However, very understable molds in the 170's shouldn't be dismissed as an option. I have a Legacy Icon Nemesis that I'm throwing a smidgeon farther than my new Lat 64 Sapphire, both are great discs.

I'm 60 and I play with an amazing old guy pushing 80 who regularly outdrives me. He prefers Shrykes around 130g, and regularly throws 330. It is both inspiring and humiliating.😁

Light discs are good for creaky joints. And light discs are not inherently inconsistent, although switching back and forth between light and heavy discs can be tricky.

I keep all of my drivers in the 150s, mids in the 160s, and putters low 170s. Inconsistencies are on me, not on the discs. ;)

I never thought about mixing weights among the types of discs and may have to give that a try. I've been avoiding anything above 9 speed because I don't throw them well enough...but it might not be my throws, just need a lighter disc.

Hmmmm....something to try out. Now to pull out my lightweight 10's and 11's.

There's nothing wrong with speed 9s for distance, which is also good news for us as we age. I throw fairly far but I play regularly with a fellow 50-something who still bombs and was one of the world's longest throwers when he was younger. He's been discing down to Valkyries again and finding that with attention to proper form he can get them to go about as far as his wide-rims, with greater accuracy. I suspect that there will be more of those in my own future.

(Also, for the purposes of this broader discussion, I'm 55 and feel quite happy with low and mid 160s for all of my drivers.)

I love my Valkyries. I have 150s and 175s. One of my 150s went wrong though it flies like a Thunderbird. So I use it as a 150 Thunderbird and it's great!

Latest posts