• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old age setting in!

A low carb ketogenic diet and a micro dose of mushrooms every other day keeps me feeling young at 67. Without them I would be fat, anxious and depressed.

I don't get too picky or crazy with watching the carbs but I'm a big, big believer in eating animal fat, protein, saturated fat and cholesterol for long term health. I'll spare everyone the conspiracy theories about the corrupt sugar lobby and their fake news studies from the 80's and 90s but suffice to say everything most normies think about diet with grain and vegetable based diets being best and animal fats being bad is completely a$$ backwards and there is a growing body of scientific literature pointing that way.

Have you done hot yoga before? If you like standard yoga, hot yoga is next level. Prior to covid I had been doing it quite a bit and IMO I think it's the best way to exercise not just for disc golf but for any sport really. Being a guy I wasn't naturally flexible and would get my butt kicked in the floor series by most of the all female class, but surprisingly (or not so surprisingly) from all the years of disc golf and sports prior to that, most of the standing series which rely on leg strength and stamina I was actually pretty advanced level right out of the gate it came really easy for me.

I have also found a good strong dose of THC prior to yoga class takes it to next level :thmbup:
I've got no interest in doing hot yoga. I try to stay hydrated but that seems to be just asking for a disaster. I'd rather push myself by doing really strong yoga work. Enough dolphin-chataranga-updog-plank flow variations and my body temp works its way up. And frankly I don't think I'm anywhere near the toughest flows I can find at normal temps. It'll be a while before normal yoga runs out of things to push me.

Over 70 here. I suggest a brisk morning walk of a mile or more. Does wonders for me and can be done rain or shine, and mostly snow. I also would normally go to the gym also, but that has been taken away.

I don't get too picky or crazy with watching the carbs but I'm a big, big believer in eating animal fat, protein, saturated fat and cholesterol for long term health. I'll spare everyone the conspiracy theories about the corrupt sugar lobby and their fake news studies from the 80's and 90s but suffice to say everything most normies think about diet with grain and vegetable based diets being best and animal fats being bad is completely a$$ backwards and there is a growing body of scientific literature pointing that way.

You just refuse to share any of it though, right? ;)

Over 70 here. I suggest a brisk morning walk of a mile or more. Does wonders for me and can be done rain or shine, and mostly snow. I also would normally go to the gym also, but that has been taken away.

this. walking is very underrated. I've become a big walker the last few years and It's helped me in many ways.

I'm also in that 60 plus age group and a fan of the Opto Air River. The thing will glide forever. I used to throw a lot of Star Lite discs but there are getting impossible to find and the light weight Star discs just doesn't fly the same.

68 here, play twice every week with a core group of 4-6 others in the same age group. None of us are gym rats, but we've all lead active lives and actively stretch/low impact aero/recreational woods work. Most of us use 150 class stuff for distance with mids in 160s and standard 170ish putters. Many 150 fairway molds I've thrown for years - Leopards, Cheetah's, TeeBirds - but distance molds have evolved. Various Starlite/Blizzard iterations - Katana, Boss, Destroyer, etc. currently using various weights of Gold and Opto Diamonds and Sapphires, both very consistent and predictable for me. Oddly I am finding myself getting greater distance with the upper 150 low 160 molds in these distance drivers. My most used mids are mid 160s Wombats and Claymores. I'll bang this drum again, Wombats in all plastics and weights are amazing. They glide straight as a string for freaking ever. If you are unintentionally turning them over check your form or go up in weight. They do seem to be more release sensitive, but even GG throws them effectively! Biggest thing, there is no magic disc out there.... or maybe there is... ahh hell, I'm gonna keep looking anyway. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 66 and never could throw very far... I find playing the short tees and also looking for interesting short courses keeps me having fun.

I'm 66 and never could throw very far... I find playing the short tees and also looking for interesting short courses keeps me having fun.
Learn how to create shorter layouts in UDisc on long courses where you like the terrain. That's what I've done a few times for a group of six 60+ year old women who actively play 2-3 times per week. Yes, they would be natural tee locations, but you can find nice level spots that have good footing for your layouts.

Learn how to create shorter layouts in UDisc on long courses where you like the terrain. That's what I've done a few times for a group of six 60+ year old women who actively play 2-3 times per week. Yes, they would be natural tee locations, but you can find nice level spots that have good footing for your layouts.

I do this all the time too, and I have found dirt pads, especially if they aren't all worn to hell, have a lot of advantages over standard cement pads. Your shoe tread will never wear down on them so bonus that they'll save your shoes and they're a lot easier on your feet/joints/body.

Half of my regular group (including myself) are in the 50+ age group. The other half are in their mid 20's. Playing against the youngsters really pushes me to stay on top of my game.

I have come to accept that at my age and with some physical conditions that limit my mobility that I am pretty much not going to throw further than 350 no matter how much I work on refining my form.

While I get that there is no magic disc, I do have to say that I have recently discovered the Sapphire from Latitude 64 and it really is an easy disc to get distance with. If you get the chance to try one it might surprise you.

63 here too.

You didn't say which brand(s) you throw, I, and others, have said a 150 star Teebird is great. A friend is almost 70 went thru 350+ hours of chemo a few years back and is out playing again. Another friend turned him onto a Stratus and he loves it.

Those are two molds I'd suggest.

Can confirm 150g champ teebirds are awesome. Sometime tough to find, but worth the hassle of tracking down imho.

My question is ... As the disc becomes less effective should I try to replace them with other models or just try lighter weights same models.

Interested in thoughts.

If you like the way your discs fly now, I'd start with lighter versions of what you currently throw. A 10g drop in weight can make a pretty significant change in the flights you get.

If that isn't enough, try a less stable plastic.

I have come to accept that at my age and with some physical conditions that limit my mobility that I am pretty much not going to throw further than 350 no matter how much I work on refining my form.

350ft off the tee is considered pro distance for age 50+.

350ft off the tee is considered pro distance for age 50+.

I think that is somewhat regional. Playing AM Grandmasters here will often see a group of 4 or 5 900+ rated players....some well into the 900's. It is a tough division when more that a half dozen show up and play. Many of them can reach out to 350.

Latest posts