• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters

ThrowaEnvy

GyrO Activation Technician.
Premium Member
So some of us are still "young" in the spectrum and at heart. A fella I know played a 85th birthday round at our course on the "old farts" nine recently. I hope I'm still playing in 40 years.

Anyhow it struck me there's a lot of fellas that are a lot older than I assumed and that there might be some wisdom to be shared among us crafty older guys. Reducing body strain, the uses of Bengay etc. Saying you saw a mee mee on the Internet just to get in the head of that punk that just threw 450'. Complaints about how they don't make discs or DG Champions like they used to... Useful advice like that.

Welcome to the club!

During a day trip a month ago, I ran into a 70+ yr old local (named Chris) during a round at Findley State Park, in Wellington, OH.
Three weeks later, I ran into him again at one of my local courses (Kensington Green)… which is a decently long and hilly course. So we finished the round together, and played the 2nd course (Kensington Blue). Gotta give Chris credit for making it through both courses at 70 +. I know guys barely over half his age who run out of gas during a 2nd round.

My other complaint is this newfangled social technology, with annoying things like poorly constructed polls with 1-choice radio buttons instead of check boxes ("click all that apply").

I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!

I say to your OLD MAN "GET OF MY LAWN" LOGIC, "you get of MY LAWN". :p

I get this a ton because I'm left handed over 40yo and play with a great group of even older gentlemen. When they are throwing their old man 145g starlite terns with Right handed backhand hyzers 300ft and its my turn to throw I'll inevitably get the "you should throw a backhand turnover here" and I scoff and sidearm a left hand hyzer with a fairway driver just as well.

i started playing dg at 37yo and was lucky enough not to be so dependent on what i started throwing (left hand backhand) and slowly learned how sidearm to the point where I can sidearm pretty much as confidently as my backhand. it took a year and a half (to learn proper form) but it got there. turnover putter flick (i can do it!), hyzer putter flick (yup!), 350 distance driver flex (hells yeah), sidearm midrange hyzer approach from 200 (yeah baby).

don't be afraid to learn new things fellow older people! this year I'm learning how to do overhead shots (tomahawks and thumbers). maybe I'll learn how to do distance rollers too.

Damn man it took me the better part of 5 years to get my FH into reasonable shape.. I'm also LHBH and we make the best doubles partners!!

Be careful trying to learn OH shots I've seen that shot take down a few people with injuries... it's nice to have but meh, it doesn't go far for me.

Damn man it took me the better part of 5 years to get my FH into reasonable shape.. I'm also LHBH and we make the best doubles partners!!

Be careful trying to learn OH shots I've seen that shot take down a few people with injuries... it's nice to have but meh, it doesn't go far for me.

^lol yeah thats where I turn into an old fart.

i had to learn the side arm from scratch because being left handed I never had that sidearm infield flip that righties learn when playing baseball. i thought having a baseball and racket ball background would make learning a sidearm easy, but all i had was pretty clean backhand form and zero sidearm during my first years.

I'll see some guy (usually a young athletic dude) throw a thumber and just park normally difficult hole and be jealous and think to myself... "i'm going to learn how to do that" then think: "hell no, I'm not going to eff up my shoulder by learning that garbage cheating overhead shot. GET OFF MY LAWN WITH THAT NEW AGE THUMBER CRAP".

also I've usually cashed in doubles just because I'm the left handed guy who can make up all your right handed deficiency dude. but then again I've been paired with fellow left handed or RHFH dominate players and turned into an angry old man cursing the disc golf gods sick humor at doubles parter fate.

Last edited:
I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!

As many of you have heard Scott Stokely say, forehands weren't real prevalent 20 years ago and more. I was primarily a RHFH young man in the 1990's and it was fairly unusual. My closest friends used to call it "cheating."

It was easier for me to learn at the beginning of my DG career because I was fresh out of HS baseball. I couldn't throw a backhand farther than 250. It felt awkward.

I think in the backs of a lot of minds from that era, a backhand = proper Frisbee form and forehands were viewed with at least a little disdain by a lot of folks. It was considered amateurish. My guess is that it was also considered not as pretty to watch.

There weren't a lot of molds back then that lent themselves to forehands either. I had to throw X-Clones (and later Banshees), and once they hit their third or fourth tree, they got flippy and were useless. The same was true for the other overstable molds like Whippets, Vipers and even the mighty Ram. I never threw Vipers after I lost the one I had in Grand Woods' infamous pond on hole #6 before I knew what I was doing, but my Rams and Whippets would get flippy after four or five tree hits as well.

I loved lighter weight Whippets for overhand shots. It reminded me a lot of throwing a baseball from the outfield to home plate. First ace was with one.

At any rate, I wasn't using good form because it tore up my elbow by 2000. I've only now learned to lead with the elbow and cock the wrist and want to re-integrate the FH back into my arsenal. I've had some limited success in the practice field...with my old man Starlite Sidewinder, of course!

I have plenty to do just trying to get my RHBH to an acceptable level, been at it since 2017, but damn I thought I'd be better then I am by now.

My sidearm is even worse which is hard to believe, the discs flutters and goes into some kind of weird type of roller, it's ridiculous.

I wonder what the flight numbers are on a whamo frisbee perhaps I'll just empty my bag and use those.

As many of you have heard Scott Stokely say, forehands weren't real prevalent 20 years ago and more. I was primarily a RHFH young man in the 1990's and it was fairly unusual. My closest friends used to call it "cheating."

There weren't a lot of molds back then that lent themselves to forehands either. I had to throw X-Clones (and later Banshees), and once they hit their third or fourth tree, they got flippy and were useless. The same was true for the other overstable molds like Whippets, Vipers and even the mighty Ram. I never threw Vipers after I lost the one I had in Grand Woods' infamous pond on hole #6 before I knew what I was doing, but my Rams and Whippets would get flippy after four or five tree hits as well.

At any rate, I wasn't using good form because it tore up my elbow by 2000. I've only now learned to lead with the elbow and cock the wrist and want to re-integrate the FH back into my arsenal. I've had some limited success in the practice field...with my old man Starlite Sidewinder, of course!

Starlite sidewinder for the win!

I kind of hate the argument that us fellow old farts use saying "there were less overstable sidearm friendly molds back in my day" as a reason for not learning the sidearm.

because ultimate players have been flicking super duper flippy deep frisbee lids 200-300ft on frozen ropes to pinpoint moving targets with hyzer/anhyzer since the Nixon administration. it surprises me that its only now that you'll see modern players flick not overstable baseline plastic discs like ricky with his harp/pig 250ft as a consistent upshot or kevin jones flicking putters too.

also its totally possible to sidearm dx/pro pigs far: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3417922&postcount=54

i totally agree with you though that a properly thrown backhand just looks beautiful compared to a sidearm. a good shot is a good shot regardless, but sidearm has the odd look like a left handed ball golfer.

Last edited:
My lovely lady got me a shirt "how can I offend you today" .. Back when I was living in Calgary I used to hang out with a "cool" coffee crowd.. My mouth has no filter sometimes, what I'm thinking comes out, anyhow after some things which were generally funny this Peter dude would say "and Captain Inappropriate strikes again!".

Last week, snuggling I accidentally used the phrase "that's nice I KINDA like it".. I corrected as soon as it came out, we had a giggle but I've been hearing the word " kinda" a lot for over a week.

I FH an Envy and a Tangent.. If needed I can do a Comet too.... For a while there it was "Princess sissy flick" is in the teebox.. I'm glad I can throw it with confidence, now that I think about it, it's probably been over 8 years to get some basic mechanics down.

Yeah I'm useless with a RHFH player as a partner or the other lefty in our group.. We get to the same holes and it's "did you learn a Flick yet?" No... "did you?" . Hmmm OH or roller then?

Its funny I got an electron Spin (understable) six months ago and it really helped for BH on those holes.. Release flat and it turns on its own... got a 172 N Halloween Envy last week and it's ideal for my short and weak FH. It's like all of a sudden in the last month enough pieces dribbled into place and now I've got that shot. I'd like to thank the "swim move" that I may or may not be performing correctly haha.