• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Too soon oldt, und too late schmardt. (That was engraved on a piece of wood in my Sainted Mum's kitchen.)

But I just saw three words that reminded me of a lost disc..."Big Jerm Thunderbird."

And it made me want to cry. Lost it at Winthrop in the pond...when there was a dude already in the water 15 feet from where it went in. Frigin' hilarious, right?

Rules? OB? Always. In the casual-but-competitive group I play with on Wednesdays, it's always the same: as soon as someone goes out of bounds, it's "We playing OB?" And I always answer: "Yes. Because it's, you know, out of bounds. But if you don't wanna play by those rules, because you're too drunk or high to care, and you can still sleep at night, go ahead and do your thing."
Just don't tell me at the end of the round, with your chest all puffed out, that you shot 6-under.

Last edited:
Just don't tell me at the end of the round, with your chest all puffed out, that you shot 6-under.

What you said!!!! Until I moved, the main course I played has a 508' downhill par 3. Some players complain that it should be a par 4 and play it that way. It has two mandos on the left to keep discs from the road and the park's field. I've seen some people ignore the mandos because they want to take the easy route.

Okay.....don't tell me you shot less than par. You didn't.

Playing without OB is like playing baseball with no foul lines.
I mean, it's not. Tons of holes realistically have no O.B. A lot of courses have no O.B. that comes into the design. I can throw all day and never think about an O.B. stroke. It's not nearly as important to the flow of the game as foul lines are to baseball.

Back in my day there was no such thing as OB you just had to play it from where it was and if it was really stupid lie on top of a tree stump or in "standing water" for something you climbed your ass up there or got your feet wet and you threw from that . Now that I'm older I do ask for some relief behind those stupid ass rotten stumps or the edge of a cliff.... the first rule of disc golf is don't break your goddamn leg no matter what the PDGA book says

Last edited:
Since it's just us old guys and we were kinda sorta talking about OB, I wanna talk about this:

picture.php

IMO, that looks like crap and make disc golf seem like a joke.

Would it have been so bad to just make one of those trees a Mando and just let the hole rack up birdies?

Or used both trees as a double Mando? It would have been tough to call because the trees are small, but...

Would a hole with a crap-ton of birdies been worse than this?

Last edited:
It is unfortunate. My feeling it this is what you are going to see when you play disc golf in huge wide open ball golf courses. I think both are a bad look.

That's still how I operate. If you inked it, you get a text. No ink? Sorry, I'm not going on facebook and trying to track you down. Sharpies exist for a reason.

and how many of these people throwing unmarked discs are rule nazis in every other manner? :doh:

It was a hole they played at World's. Triple Mando; you had to throw between the poles and under the strap. Pin was set to the right.

I thought for a moment that might be the case but then thought better of it. It feels like we are migrating from the ball golf metaphor to a putt putt model a bit. I guess all the odd mandos you see—gates, whatever—kind of push things in that direction.

We'll soon see a corporate sponsored animatronic mascot on a course with a hole in it's head for a mando or something stupid.

Since it's just us old guys and we were kinda sorta talking about OB, I wanna talk about this:

picture.php

IMO, that looks like crap and make disc golf seem like a joke.

Would it have been so bad to just make one of those trees a Mando and just let the hole rack up birdies?

Or used both trees as a double Mando? It would have been tough to call because the trees are small, but...

Would a hole with a crap-ton of birdies been worse than this?

C Tier caliber mando. Using one of the easy to throw over trees without a well defined trunk would have been worse. I don't know if this hole was designed in a vacuum or with keeping players off other holes in mind. If the latter then some sort of structure closer to the tee would likely have been better. I tend to blame USDGC for legitimizing this stuff.

C Tier caliber mando. Using one of the easy to throw over trees without a well defined trunk would have been worse. I don't know if this hole was designed in a vacuum or with keeping players off other holes in mind. If the latter then some sort of structure closer to the tee would likely have been better. I tend to blame USDGC for legitimizing this stuff.

I agree but at least it would be under the benefit goes to the player rule, instead of literally missing the tripymandy and getting away with it, ala Paige @ Worlds. You have to assume this hole is a filler hole to eliminate an awkward or lengthy walk. It reminds me of hole 1 at Vista Del Camino, which is also an embarrassing looking hole, highlighted further by being hole 1 and on a lot of coverage.

I thought for a moment that might be the case but then thought better of it. It feels like we are migrating from the ball golf metaphor to a putt putt model a bit. I guess all the odd mandos you see—gates, whatever—kind of push things in that direction.

We'll soon see a corporate sponsored animatronic mascot on a course with a hole in it's head for a mando or something stupid.

The putt putt reference is great! It reminded me of doing Fieldwork and trying to throw between soccer goals (no net installed). Or maybe giant croquet got to get through the gates...

That mando looks like the finish line in some Atari racing game! Ugly

What's Atari? Kidding! I remember StarFox on the Super Nintendo as having something similar :p

Bamboo hole definitely comes to mind here.

Latest posts