• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Old School Aviar Question

These XDs have small beads, they date themselves.

picture.php
I posted word salad.

What I was trying to say is late 80's: The Aviar small bead comes out at about the same time as the XD adds a small bead. Mid 00's: The Avair small bead is converted to beadless and the XD also becomes beadless. It think that is because they share the wing mold piece.

The discs you posted are consistent in date to what I was poorly trying to say.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you threw Aviars in the 90's but quit disc golf in 1999 and decided to get back into the game today, you have to buy Millennium Omegas to get the discs you remember. Nothing that is sold as an Aviar today is actually the same as the discs we threw in the 90's.

I'm looking forward to trying out the DT Omega when it arrives. I will say I find the Jawbreaker challenger feels very much like my old Aviar as far as the plastic is concerned. Honestly, to my amateur eye the mold looks close as well. If anyone is looking for a replacement for the Aviar of the 90's they might want to give the Jawbreaker Challenger from Discraft a try.

I'm looking forward to trying out the DT Omega when it arrives. I will say I find the Jawbreaker challenger feels very much like my old Aviar as far as the plastic is concerned. Honestly, to my amateur eye the mold looks close as well. If anyone is looking for a replacement for the Aviar of the 90's they might want to give the Jawbreaker Challenger from Discraft a try.

do you find the chally has moar glide than the aviar

The prototype omega supersofts were actually stamped with the p&a stamp. They were usually dirty sock white. Possible that OP picked one up back in the day? Tho I think the protos came out a little later than 1994.

when/how did innova introduce the no bead aviar (what we know today as the pna aviar)

P&A had a small bead in 2000's like the older Aviar and Classic Grid was the no bead putter, since that time somehwere in later 2000's that changed not sure when I stopped caring when I found the putter mold I use now. However the Classic Grid feels closer to the old Grid Aviar in the plastic type. My mom uses the small/mini bead old Grid for main putter from 1999 and a Classic Grid basic unkonwn year I got her for a putter for part of Birthday gift. There was also a short run of Champion Grid Aviar P&A as a 25 year throwback to original discs that had the Micro bead/no bead so maybe then the mold changed? Not sure.

I filed that in the back of my mind and just ran across some JB Challengers; that's a good call. JB plastic is probably grittier and grippier than the old DX putter plastic (it reminds me of the old Millennium Omega AP plastic actually) but it's very much in the ballpark. The Challenger is very Aviar-ish and has the small bead. It's seems like a very good replacement for an old chains Aviar.

Was the DT Omega any good for you?

Latest posts