• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One disc for "party situations"

First off don't use a roc unless it's nice and beat and preferably light weight, it's simply too overstable, second I wouldn't recommend the aero because it's a putter and I think they're actually harder to drive far for new players. Look into getting some good lightweight plastic if you can, my favorite loaner disc for a long time was a seasoned 150 champion eagle, it went far and wasn't so understable that they could get a way with super hyzer flipping the disc. I would probable cast my vote for the discraft stratus, but a 150 valk or eagle might not be a bad choice either.

One other disc you may want to look into is the innova Kite. It is fairly straight, has pretty good lift, and is beginner friendly as well. We have a club at our local course that is at a recreation park, and there are a group of mentally challenged individuals that have "work days" about 2-3 times a year and they come and help us with course maint. Afterwards, we provide lunch for them, and then go and play some holes. We got with Harold Duvall <From Innova East coast div>, and asked him a good disc to provide for them, and he suggested the Kite, we even got them in a VERY light weight 130-150g.
I think we had as much fun watching them play as we did for anything else.
Another mid range suggestion may be a skeeter.

RESULT! (As they say in Super Monkey Ball's Billiards mini-game...)

I wound up buying five Aeros of differing weights and different colors. That should be enough for a party situation here.

Also wound up buying six mini discs, all of different colors, in case we have the notion to play mini-disc golf.

i hand one of my buzzzes to the new players i bring along. (usually a flx if i want it to stay in good condition). but i've also handed out a classic roc or two. both fly straight and tend to be very beginner friendly

When I bring new players with me, I let them use a two disc set
1) a beat-in dragon
2) One of my putters, usually an omega supersoft

The great thing about hte Dragon is that my friends can play with no fear, since it will float. Overwise, they would be too worried about losing my discs, and not have as much fun. Also, its beat in, so it flies too understable for me, but alot better for newbies.

However, I think you all are right about drivers, even fairway, requiring alot more control to get a good throw with for newbies. For that reason, I think a Hydra would be the way to go, since its smooth, rounded sides are easy to grip, and not horribly different from a frisbee, plus the floating thing.

Several of the players I taught to play have since gone out and gotten their own discs. I had them try i bunch of different midranges & drivers, and they all ended up buying dragons as their first driver.

Thats my four cents, anyways. Lets all give ourselves a pat on the back for trying to grow our sport.

+1 For the Hydra. It's a nice midrange / putter with the feel of a non disc-golf Frisbee that floats in water - so you can't go wrong there.

When I first started I couldn't properly throw a driver. I still can't throw anything overstable, except with the forehand. So I agree with most here that light, understable and midrange is the way to go. The Shark and the Wolf come to mind only because the big chain sporting goods stores around here tend to stock them. But if you're going to order in bulk online, just look for the cheapest deals. Some places have X-outs for 5 bucks, just find some of them that seem suitable and you're good to go.

I'd say the Discraft Comet or Meteor are good discs for inexperienced players. The Comet is a straight-shooter approach disc, and the Meteor has a slight right fade. I think the right fades help overcompensate for the way most people throw - which is to say their throws will usually fade hard left, even with a straight disc.

The Discraft Z-Glide also has a nice slight right fade, and newbie friends have had good time throwing that disc as well. The rims of all of these are also more similar to a standard freestyle disc, which probably helps as well for the grip.

I have never loaned my Stratus as I use that as on of my main drivers, but I think it too would have a nice feel for someone just starting out.

gottagogottathrow.com is a good place to get X-outs. Went to the actual store friday, its like a huge warehouse jammed full of every disc imaginable. Got an X-out Star Wraith for $11.

I had a Coyote that I lent to my bro when we went and he threw it very well for a newbie.