• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Over Buying Anonymous

Docxen

Par Member
Anyone else knew to the sport and WAY over buying? Got over 40 some discs that i need to take time to throw and learn but i just love to shop for more.

God, at the end of 2017 and beginning of 2018 I purchased so many plastics..... Got a handle on it in order to get serious about my game though. Now I trade and buy used or new from other people not always retail.

IN 2008 when I started, I was flush with cash (not huge amounts, but enough to buy plastic) and began to buy discs by the lot off eBay. Ended up with over 100 used discs in 6 months.
I have slowed down a lot in the 10 years since, buying only what I throw and collectibles that I fancy.

My biggest lesson?
Learn how to throw. Put your efforts into form and consistency.
If you buy a disc because you can't throw, and you want a better result, the results are minor.
If you learn to throw properly, discs become somewhat less important.

To that end, I recommend the Technique and Strategy Forum and especially the Form Analisys and Critique Forum

My very favorite thread is the How to Build a Bag thread. I'm working through that now and wished I'd done it a long time ago.

Hope that helps!!

IN 2008 when I started, I was flush with cash (not huge amounts, but enough to buy plastic) and began to buy discs by the lot off eBay. Ended up with over 100 used discs in 6 months.
I have slowed down a lot in the 10 years since, buying only what I throw and collectibles that I fancy.

My biggest lesson?
Learn how to throw. Put your efforts into form and consistency.
If you buy a disc because you can't throw, and you want a better result, the results are minor.
If you learn to throw properly, discs become somewhat less important.

To that end, I recommend the Technique and Strategy Forum and especially the Form Analisys and Critique Forum

My very favorite thread is the How to Build a Bag thread. I'm working through that now and wished I'd done it a long time ago.

Hope that helps!!
I get ya but man oh man those used disc tubs at the local disc golf shop are SWEEEEETTT

I don't buy like 100 every year like I used to but still snag stuff that I think looks cool and backups sometimes more than I should responsibly.

Wait until you figure out your bag and starting wanting backups.

That's when stuff gets serious.

True that. I lost one today, and immediately went home and ordered two replacements. Got a call a few hours later from someone who found my disc...so now I have three for a slot in my bag that I probably don't even really need.

Yep, it'll be a while before you slow down on the purchases. I've had my lineup for some time and fortunately haven't lost any for a bit, but I still like to go to the disc shop and buy a couple discs from time to time. Oddly, I very rarely buy the molds I throw.

Ever looked at the cost of playing ball golf? Ever known anyone who owned a boat? Ever looked at the cost of most other hobbies? Ever looked at the price of those coffees people buy on a daily basis? I wouldn't worry about the cost of a few discs, even 40.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of a few discs, even 40.

That's $400.00 if you're buying used, around $700.00+ if you're buying new. Nice that you don't have to worry about it, nothing wrong with that.

I'm looking at my cart that is holding around 20 discs. Total revolving investment (cart + discs) near $700.00. Add in misc costs for shoes, minis, tournaments, etc, etc.

Disc golf is far from being a cheap sport. The only point it is cheap is when we all first started and a friend gave us a few free discs.

Disc golf is cheap recreational activity. When you start treating it like a sport, is when its starts getting expensive... But lots of things are like that. Golf doesn't have to be overly expensive. You can buy pretty cheap clubs at Walmart and there are plenty of Muni courses that are pretty cheap to play. Fishing is pretty cheap until you buy a boat or spend a night or two a week at a paylake...

Last edited:
That's $400.00 if you're buying used, around $700.00+ if you're buying new. Nice that you don't have to worry about it, nothing wrong with that.

I'm looking at my cart that is holding around 20 discs. Total revolving investment (cart + discs) near $700.00. Add in misc costs for shoes, minis, tournaments, etc, etc.

Disc golf is far from being a cheap sport. The only point it is cheap is when we all first started and a friend gave us a few free discs.

I'm certainly not suggesting dropping $700 on discs in one go. I'm saying that cart of discs spread out over the months or years it took you to acquire them all is relatively inexpensive.

Pretty common thing to over buy early on... Best IMO, is when you learn to throw a small set of discs in different ways which achieves the same thing as having a disc for every shot, but it results in better throws. Using a disc three ways means you know how to use that disc in three situations. Three times the confidence for that mold.

Ever looked at the cost of playing ball golf? Ever known anyone who owned a boat? Ever looked at the cost of most other hobbies? Ever looked at the price of those coffees people buy on a daily basis? I wouldn't worry about the cost of a few discs, even 40.

That is true, the amount people spend on golf clubs and then greens fees and everything. Plus it take like 3x as long to play a round.

Two of the best days in a man's life - the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.

Emac just bought a boat. But onto the subject at hand. At one point I had spent 12 grand on my last "hobby". When starting, I had the ways and means. After that changed, it was nothing but years of waiting for the right moment to step back into the hobby. I ended up here instead. Reason being that the initial outlay to get back into it was far too much as getting into this. This has turned my world around, and allows me the ability to do what I want to with gear for it, as well as take care of all the other things in life that were needed. I'll never have to feel guilty for buying other things, cause I'm "saving up" for something, and I don't have to feel guilty for buying discs and disc accessories instead of buying groceries....

Latest posts