• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Over-think and Over-Analyze?

There's only two things that help me in actual play:
Follow through on drives and approaches
Lift back leg when putting

Anymore throws me off.

be as water..

Every day of disc is different. My game changes literally every round. I have a consistent routine (or idea according to the elements..) down for every throw, which is great, but when my game is evolving day to day, sometimes that just isn't enough. I know what it takes to put that damn piece of plastic in the basket b/c i've done it before, it is a matter of fine tuning my own game according to what's working and what is not on that day. Certain days my drives are getting me there, other days (most days) my putting cleans me up. It's all about figuring out your own game and running with confidence. No one is going to throw the disc for you, and your brain isn't gonna flex the disc into the basket, either. Hard focus, soft focus, figure it out b/c you've done it before! It doesn't hurt to play more than once a week also...

I say boy, disc in sky is beautiful thing to watch.

"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be. Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it."

"Too much horsing around with unrealistic stances and classic forms and rituals is just too artificial and mechanical, and doesn't really prepare the student for actual combat. A guy could get clobbered while getting into this classical mess. Classical methods like these, which I consider a form of paralysis, only solidify and constrain what was once fluid. Their practitioners are merely blindly rehearsing routines and stunts that will lead nowhere.
I believe that the only way to teach anyone proper self-defence is to approach each individual personally. Each one of us is different and each one of us should be taught the correct form. By correct form I mean the most useful techniques the person is inclined toward. Find his ability and then develop these techniques. I don't think it is important whether a side kick is performed with the heel higher than the toes, as long as the fundamental principle is not violated. Most classical martial arts training is a mere imitative repetition - a product - and individuality is lost.
When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form. It is like ice dissolving in water. When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style."
-Bruce Lee

^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhhh yeaa
vvvvvvvvvvv

Yeah, for me, it gets pretty bad. I step up to the tee and I look for the line I want and what the wind is doing. I grab the disc out of my bag I feel is appropriate (this part has become much simpler as I dont carry a lot of molds) then I stand on the tee, focus on where I want to aim then it goes something like this:

Wrist straight, keep nose down
grip check.
Wind? (might go back to the bag for a different disc)
wrist still straight
see target, taking eyes off target
reach back
little hyzer/anhyzer
keep wrist straight
keep it smooth
dont pull too hard too soon
eyese set back on target
ok now pull
follow through, follow through!

Yeah, for me I really need to get better at analyzing the wind, how it affects my shots and then trust my decision once I'm over the shot. As far as the technical aspect of the throw, I like the idea of having a 'swing thought,' to borrow a phrase from ball golf. I don't even mind having two or three as long as they actually keep me focused on the right things. Getting the right grip is a big one. Then, somewhat related, is to keep my wrist firm throughout the throw. And if I'm doing a run-up, I'm thinking 'strong first step' (with the right foot) and 'get those hips turned!'

Last year i started to somewhat get serious about disc golf and get my name out there to try and get in big tournys (i'm 17 by the way). I play intermediate/advanced depends upon which tourny and i have seen guys very concerned about their throws and form. I recall this one time this guy started off very good the first round of 4 rounds but by the last round he was either getting par or bogeying because he was blaming it on his form.

i am from south dakota and i know somewhat about form and what not, but i am not perfect or close to it in that manner for form. But what i do best is, don't think about the shots that i did bad, stay relax, and have fun with the big shots that i make. That gets all my bad shots out of the way and i have a positive vibe in my head. Thats basically what i think all the time.

Last edited:
Last year i started to somewhat get serious about disc golf and get my name out there to try and get in big tournys (i'm 17 by the way). I play intermediate/advanced depends upon which tourny and i have seen guys very concerned about their throws and form. I recall this one time this guy started off very good the first round of 4 rounds but by the last round he was either getting par or bogeying because he was blaming it on his form.

See. Frolf. ^

There's only two things that help me in actual play:
Follow through on drives and approaches
Lift back leg when putting

Anymore throws me off.

I couldn't agree more. People psyche themselves out too easily by over-analyzing every shot of the the day. Being confident in what your game does best will render good scores. Over time, you figure out what needs to be done to improve your game. Over thinking just makes you tense,nervous, and jittery, and when has that ever yielded positive results.

The ultimate goal in any kind of physical activity is to train yourself to react. If you have think about how to make a jump shot you're probably gonna miss, if you get the ball and swiftly go up and take the shot without thought your chances of success go way up. This method is crucial in MMA, you don't have time to think, you have to reach a level where your fist explodes out as soon as the opportunity is there. "I do not make it strike, it strikes all by itself" -Bruce Lee. So you gotta get to the point where the only thought before the shot is what disc you're gonna use. This is especially important in putting. Take just enough time to line it up, take your breath and shoot, don't sit there like Locastro for 45 seconds, too much time postering will make you over think the shot.

I distill my thoughts down to one simple task. This task is for the disc. Hit that window, in the basket, stop rolling. The disc usually follows orders.

However, if I think of anything more complex, ex. a body/foot/elbow position, I mess it all up.

Tecnohic, I'll be brutal here: you're not over-analyzing, you're just cluttering.
If you go through a litany of all that stuff before each throw that's not analyzing. Analyzing is putting one aspect of your throw at a time under scrutiny, so that you can figure out wich things to work on. These few things you decide to work on, you should preferably work at a field with plenty time, or at least in a dedicated practice round. When the time comes to perform, the only thing to think about is performing. (Now, if you're having problems performing there are techniques for that as well, thye involve doing one thing at a time etc. :))
It's impossible to work on everything at once. That doesn't mean that there's no point in working at it.
So IMO the premise of your question is a false dichotomy. The fact that someone can throw 500 ft without regimented practice says nothing about what you need!
As to the Bruce Lee references - he advocated studying and using whatever technique worked for you - it's not like he didn't think about technique, or practice. ;-)

Last edited:
Yes, I over think stuff a lot. It's easier to play well when you're going on muscle memory, expirience, and just throwing the shot.

Tecnohic, I'll be brutal here: you're not over-analyzing, you're just cluttering.
If you go through a litany of all that stuff before each throw that's not analyzing. Analyzing is putting one aspect of your throw at a time under scrutiny, so that you can figure out wich things to work on. These few things you decide to work on, you should preferably work at a field with plenty time, or at least in a dedicated practice round. When the time comes to perform, the only thing to think about is performing. (Now, if you're having problems performing there are techniques for that as well, thye involve doing one thing at a time etc. :))
It's impossible to work on everything at once. That doesn't mean that there's no point in working at it.
So IMO the premise of your question is a false dichotomy. The fact that someone can throw 500 ft without regimented practice says nothing about what you need!
As to the Bruce Lee references - he advocated studying and using whatever technique worked for you - it's not like he didn't think about technique, or practice. ;-)

Beleive it or not, thats whats going through my head when trying to particularly focus on nose down. Thats where the rechecks of the wrist being straight come back a couple of times.

It goes like this...analyze, practice, re-evaluate, practice, practice, practice.

Then, when it's time to play, forget all that **** and trust your instincts.

I see it all the time. Guys can't get out of their own way. I can literally see the tension/fear building before a throw.

When I'm playing well, I really wonder how the hell I just did that. It's almost out of body, or automatic. Very little mental chatter. Just get up there, see the line and trust that I'll hit it. Once I've made the calculations, I'm locked and loaded, ready to throw.

It goes like this...analyze, practice, re-evaluate, practice, practice, practice.

Then, when it's time to play, forget all that **** and trust your instincts.

I see it all the time. Guys can't get out of their own way. I can literally see the tension/fear building before a throw.

When I'm playing well, I really wonder how the hell I just did that. It's almost out of body, or automatic. Very little mental chatter. Just get up there, see the line and trust that I'll hit it. Once I've made the calculations, I'm locked and loaded, ready to throw.

^ Boy knows what he talks about. Being in the zone, can be like out of body experience. Sometimes the best thing you say to yourself just before you throw or compete in anything is "F*** it". If you don't care, you don't have to think, or have worries, and the results can be amazing once you let go of fear.

I had a couple of partial rounds like that last year. Everything seemed efortless. But by the end of the round, I'd be thinking of what I could do better and wind up doing worse.

The only time my mind gets in the way is the putt - and that's not all the time, but definitely some of the time. I can't tell you how many times I've missed one only to chuck a second in frustration and nail it with little thought! So I try to think less and simply do what I know I can do.

I have done a lot this lately. Especially for my drives as I am trying to get my technique down. I think about foot placement, wrist angle, arm height and everything else when I am driving. Really that is toom uch stuff to be going through your head all at once when the actual drive motion is just a second. If you "think" about one such variable when throwing in a field, then I think I am able to control it. Once I think that I have that certain aspect down, then I try not to think about it any more. Then at that point it is just repetition until you can do it without thinking about.

This is very good thread. I learned about conscious and subconscious minds from a very good book called "Inner Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley. Also a book called "The Inner Game of Golf" by W. Timothy Gallwey is another good one. There is delicate balance between conscious and subconscious minds and we need to get them work together well to achieve great results. Subconscious mind focus on details and programming (the mechanics) and we use conscious mind to communicate with subconscious mind to tweak some details, make some adjustments in the programs and file them away for later use.

I notice in tournament play where (I play in Intermediate level) I seen players getting too emotional (emotional stability is key in getting minds to work well and consistently), thinking too much, thinking about past (basically thinking too much) and their game suffers as a result and it is like they don't not know that. Well some might know but not able to deal with it very well. I seen that all the time.

Like other said in this thread, it is easier to focus on the target/line and just throw it away. When my throw is off, I just tell my subconscious mind that I need to do this and that, then it files inside my brain and I just forget it completely and focus on next shot/throw. One throw a time.

Latest posts