• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Driver Slots Recomendations

mjdepue

Birdie Member
I'm looking at getting two discs, preferable of the same mold. One to fill the very overstable/wind spot and and one to fill the slightly overstable driver spot (ideally, this would also be my main forehand driver).

Some info to help:
1. I mostly throw RHBH off the tee (90%-60% of the time, depending on the course), but I have a decent sidearm when I need it. I have a short, efficient stroke so I don't need anything too overstable for sidearm.
2. Main distance driver is a P-DD2 171g. I can throw it 400-425 on about 90% power (I virtually never throw full power). I can throw my TeeBird 350-375ft.

A couple of pairs I've thought of:

Very OS / Slightly OS
1. Champ Starfire / Star Starfire - When I used to play forehand dominant I had a Star Starfire that I liked. I'm worried the that the Champ won't be overstable enough for stronger headwinds. Also, I don't have much experience with the Champ, thrown a friends a couple times, it seemed more overstable than the star I had but maybe I'm wrong.

2. S-DD / P-DD - I've heard good things about these and I love the plastic on my DD2. Similar concerns as with the Starfire: will the S plastic be overstable enough?

3. C-PD2 / P-PD2 - Also heard a lot of good things about this, but I'm worried I don't quite have the arm to pull them off yet. For reference, I had a 175 Pro Boss that I could throw about as far as my DD2 but if I didn't throw it at least 95% power I would get no turn, and it would hyzer out too soon. Because the DD2 is slightly less HSS it's more forgiving. Because I had the throw the Boss so hard I had issues with control...

Thoughts from those with experience with these discs? Any other recommendations are welcome.

I don't think you have too little power for a C-PD2, should work well as a very overstable for you. Beat the P-PD2 in somewhat and I'm guessing it should work as a somewhat overstable to pair with the C-line one.

Can't recommend Boss for the disc you're looking for. Blitz doens't come in non-premium plastic so one would have to smack it against a wall for a long time to make it a slightly overstable compliment for a new blitz. Ape has the same problem I'm guessing.

I use Predator and OLF's for my OS / slightly OS setup and I'm extremely happy with the two. Didn't see those listed so I thought I'd toss them out there for you to consider.

I think you give the C/P PD2 a shot. sounds about right for you. The problem with PD2s is their skip so you gotta learn how to play it.

I love the Star/Champ Starfire but I didn't find them reliable once they beat in. I think the Avenger holds it's slightly-overstable characteristic longer.

Thanks for the responses.

I've decided on the C/P PD2 combo. Picked up a P version but have to wait on an online order for the C. Thrown it a couple of times and it's a bit more overstable than I'd like but it has a ton of flashing so once that goes I think it should work great.