• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid or Power Down on Overstable Driver?

I use Firebird and EXP1 (Banshee) instead of an overstable mid. The EXP1 doesn't skip much and works great powered down. The Shark3 and Tank are also decently overstable, so between those discs I don't really see the need for a meathook midrange.

I hate powering down discs too much. They don't fly the same as intended (glide and fade-wise for me), and I don't trust it...so then I throw it badly.

That being said, my faster OS discs are an Xcal and Firebird. I will use the Xcal for 300-350' OS shots (Destroyer past that...the Xcal is too beefy for me to push far), and Firebird for 250-310' OS shots. I then go to a Verdict, which at Firebird range is pretty straight with a finish, but at 200-250 it will get pretty OS. That being said...I feel like this is almost too powered down for me.

If I were to try throwing an Xcal 250' it would cut through the air way too fast and fade a bit more. A Firebird is so OS, that if I tried to power it down to 200' it would just start fading out of my hand and I miss my intended line 90% of the time.

The more I've seen some guys I play with throw Gators on 150-250' shots and they do it consistently every time, the more I think that it's a useful thing to have. If I lived somewhere that was windier, I'm quite certain I would have a Gator or something in that class that is true OS.

So really, it depends on how your bag is set up (what speeds are your current OS molds), and how far you throw/how you feel about throwing discs at under 60% power. Personally I hate throwing discs that softly unless I have to for a putter upshot, and then it's a different form usually.

Drone ftw. I don't like powering down too much as bad things can happen when I try to throw soft. Much rather throw ~90% with my drone than try 60% with my firebird.

Oh and as far as learning different molds...I try to have discs that fly the same in different speeds.

For example, going from Verdict to SPD to Xcal is like going from speed 5 to 10 to 12 of the same disc. I throw it the same, just power it a bit harder and the distance is further. Firebird is then in there but super beefy/less glide and utility as well. If you have discs that feel like they have the same relative distance to fade and glide to speed ratios for how you throw, things will still be consistent. At least that's the way my bag is currently set up.

I dropped my Gator and started using my Monster for as many OS duties as possible and my game has been better for it. I rely heavily on my Monsters for forehand, overhand, backhand and forehand roller shots. The only OS shots I've decided it's not suited for are really short approaches and shots that I don't want to skip. For those shots, I've found the Scale is a much better complement than an OS mid.

learning to throw an OS midrange isn't a hard thing to do but I find the mold somewhat pointless. A straight to light fade midrange is useful just not one which is super OS. IMO yes you can learn to power down a driver for the same truly OS shots you need and actually get better results from the driver.

Its safe to say you don't NEED an OS midrange.

Are overstable mids pointless?

I've found that I don't need an OS fairway driver. I have a Drone and a Nuke OS that fills all of my OS duties. I couldn't pull off Drone lines with a Nuke OS, and I couldn't pull off Nuke OS lines with a Drone. If I put a Firebird in, I think I'd need a Scale or something.

I don't feel that drivers come very close to filling midrange anhyzer flights. They're far more nose-angle sensitive, and fight out of the anhyzer very quickly. They also skip. So I feel that I lose a lot if I don't have an OS driver and mid/putter, but I agree with the sentiment of "OS mids are pointless" in that you don't need an OS disc for every speed group you have neutral discs in.

I'd agree with a Trident; I think tweeners work very well in the OS spot.

Drone ftw. I don't like powering down too much as bad things can happen when I try to throw soft. Much rather throw ~90% with my drone than try 60% with my __________.

This.

Drone ftw. I don't like powering down too much as bad things can happen when I try to throw soft. Much rather throw ~90% with my drone than try 60% with my firebird.

The opposite of this for me. I use a Predator for all OS duties, don't carry an OS mid. I would rather be comfortable with one disc and power down, instead of using 2 different molds.

Personal preference I guess.

I carry a Zone, Q Sentinel and a FB. I like having the distances covered AND the ability to do shorter flex shots. A FB won't do tricky flexes at Zone ranges.
heck, If it is a windy day, I'll usually carry a gator too, for the distance between the zone and the Sentinel.

I think really OS mids are niche discs. Great for flexes through the woods and the less skip is useful but I like to cover it with a OS putter and a slow FW driver. All I need an OS mid to do is have great HSS, I can hyzer it to do most of what I need.

I love over stable mids but have no trouble powering down my resistors like Was said earlier. They still cover every need I filled with my over stable mids, and I can also bump up with my semi-over stable Envys as well as the Envy really flies like a tweeter mid/putter off the tee.

I haven't found a need for an OS mid. Between my champ Fire bird and gator, I haven't found any shot I haven't been able to accomplish with these discs. Either I power up the gator or power down the fire bird. But the consistency is wonderful with these two.

Latest posts