• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid

Try the wasp. The KC ROC is my understable mid range, the Buzz is my straight flyer, and my wasp is my head wind mid. For 30+ winds i use a z drone

if the kc roc is your understable mid range then you are either throwing it very wrong or it's too beat to be compared to a newer kc roc.

THIS

If you are looking to try out Lat64 plastic I'd suggest an Opto or Goldline Pain.

Getting another Roc makes sense, but if you want a disc like a Roc, but in better plastic get a Pain. Over stable without being so over stable so as to be less versatile. Great glide and consistent fade. Will retain its original flight for a long time also.

Why would he want a dx or KC pro Roc in his overstable slot? These will become straightish with a couple of good whacks and you will need something else that still fades. I recommend the Vector. They got reputation for being very overstable after the first run, but the newer runs are mellowed and are just slightly overstable. They stay that way a long time though...

Why would he want a dx or KC pro Roc in his overstable slot? These will become straightish with a couple of good whacks and you will need something else that still fades. I recommend the Vector. They got reputation for being very overstable after the first run, but the newer runs are mellowed and are just slightly overstable. They stay that way a long time though...

A heavy DX or KC Roc is going to be a good overstable mid for a good while. And of course, as every roc thrower knows, it becomes even more valuable when it gets beat in. Then he can buy another roc. Now, whether or not this is what he is looking to do it up to him.

Definitely try a Z Wasp, beats trying to determine which tree hit will knock your slightly OS Roc into your straight Roc or your straight Roc into your slightly US Roc, or your slightly US Roc into a rather flippy Roc, etc. etc.

it takes awhile to beat in a KC roc, you of all people should know that.

I kind of disagree. Maybe some of it is my form, but I have a 12x KC Roc and it went from being nice and OS as compared to a Comet, to about as flippy and straight as a heavy Z Comet in not much time at all. I didn't abuse it either. I still sort of like the way a Roc flies better than a Wasp, seems like it has more glide.

I kind of disagree. Maybe some of it is my form, but I have a 12x KC Roc and it went from being nice and OS as compared to a Comet, to about as flippy and straight as a heavy Z Comet in not much time at all. I didn't abuse it either. I still sort of like the way a Roc flies better than a Wasp, seems like it has more glide.

some of the 12x KC is REALLY bad plastic. Like worse then DX.

still, you musta just thrown it into a wall or something. I have a DX roc that is about 10 months old that I would still consider slightly overstable, and that is DX.

maybe my experience is not the norm

Any idea on how to know the bad 12x KC from the good? Is the newer ones good or bad?

nope. I've only gotten one recently that is bad, and it got a 1/4 inch gash in the bead from just hitting a little bush. I guess you just gotta try your luck. I think im going to stick to DX rocs

It takes a long time to beat it to flippy, but it does not take that long to beat most the fade out of it from a near flat throw. In my experience they want to be straight as that is the nature of the mold, so they get there quick and stay there a long time. This is true of the Vector as well, but the plastic takes much more of a beating before giving up any stability.

For example...My original Vector is still in my bag. This one I have not beat in on purpose at all, I've just played with it since it came out a few months ago. It started out quite overstable, requiring an anhyzer release to work lines under 300'. Now it is very mildly overstable. If thrown flat it will fly straight for 90% of it's flight and fade on shots around 300'. It will still hold a hyzer release, but it will not accelerate into the fade like it once did. It also does not skip when fading now.

This is the same transition you will see with your KC Roc, however it will be accelerated 2 or 3 times as fast. What I've seen with my Vector of a period of months would be a period of weeks with the Roc. Now if you don't throw mids hard (I use mine to 350' regularly) or you don't play in the trees perhaps a KC Roc can stay overstable for months. If you throw hard and hit trees though, don't let people tell you that baseline plastic will retain OVERstability for long (it does stay useably stable for a lot longer than most people give it credit for).

I would say get an ESP Wasp if you can find one. not a meaty as the Z wasp but will not turn over and has a nice fade at the end.

^^agree to disagree. there is no turning my star cro over unless im really trying to. ive thrown many rocs and my roc+ was brand new and was straighter than even my dx cros.

** i was throwing the roc with oober snap from the tee mostly, where im using the cro for more mid and fairway shots. but still, more stable for me thus it replaced my roc since i already throw a buzzz anyway.

Yea I thinnk ur discs are funny cuz a roc+ in star is straight to overstable and a dx cro is decently under stable, even a star cro will slightly turn over, but it might just be innova being innova and all of the discs not being the same