• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Fast putters and slow mids

krooster

Birdie Member
I throw Pure/Luna for putter drives, and mostly Comets for mids. I'm pretty comfortable pushing those putters out to 220-230', or maybe a bit longer for the Luna. I'm usually only getting Comets out to 240-250' or so and that's with some height. Consequently, while I love the control of the Comet, they don't see that much action.

I think the issue is that Pure/Luna is fast for a putter, while Comet is slow for a mid.

Anyone ever ponder matching putter speed with mid speed and whether this is something that makes sense to think about? It seems like the gap between putters and mids is smaller than the gap between other disc classes.

I recently picked up one of the new MD3's and noticed it flies pretty far for a mid, and particularly
far for an overstable mid. I wonder if I should give some other faster mids a try. It would be hard to give up Comets but I'd like to throw mids more often.

Yes, I have, and played tug of war often either slowing down putters or speeding up mids.

Right now I move straight from fast putters to slow fairways with no mids at all. May not be the right solution for everyone. I am not seeing a gap in play. If anything my scores have dropped as I have simplified.

I find 4 speeds to go appreciably longer than 3 speeds. I wasn't really big on throwing mids until I could start pushing mids out to around 300 feet. Prior to that I was mostly putters then fairways. Now my bags always have at least 4-5 mids, because the majority of the fairways on my local courses benefit greatly from a straight 280-300 foot shot. If given the choice though, I'd definitely rock the more modern 5 speed mid as opposed to older school 4 speed stuff like the Comet, Roc/3, Mako/3 etc. Buzzz and Reactor are great. I'm finding a new fond love with the Lobster, which is also faster than the Fuse. I just like the how their slightly wider rims fill my hand better while fan gripping.

Right now I move straight from fast putters to slow fairways with no mids at all. May not be the right solution for everyone. I am not seeing a gap in play. If anything my scores have dropped as I have simplified.

Same here. Only seldom I use a mid to fill the small gap, but usually I don't feel it being worth carrying around. Probably this comes from:

- throwing putters well
- not throwing fairways very far
- having many throwing styles and angles available
- not being good enough that landing angles and skip potential between mids and fairways would make a relevant enough difference

I carry a pure and comets in my bag. The difference in shot type I use for each is different enough that I don't feel like there's overlap at all. Pures are really straight/hold angles well. Comets are for working finesse flip up lines in the woods. I get from 25-50 more feet out of comets on similar lines to a pure and it is much less work to push them that far.

Try out a Rift if you're interested in a sneaky long midrange.

Most of the disc selection process to me comes down to shot shape. I can throw many putters as far as mids, but they may not fade the same way or get the ground reaction I want.

At one point I tried going straight from putters to fairways and the results weren't bad, just got tired of powering down faster discs.

I noticed My Wizards and Rocs overlapped enough that I didn't need both. The Comet for me went further on low ceiling shots and goes straighter for longer so I think it's justified to bag both.

I would second the Rift suggestion if you're wanting to try a faster mid. Emac Truths are great too in that slot

Most of the disc selection process to me comes down to shot shape. I can throw many putters as far as mids, but they may not fade the same way or get the ground reaction I want.

This exactly. I find that when I push putters as far as they can go, they straighten out too much for some shots. Same goes for mids though. There are some shots I have to play regularly that the distance is fine for a mid, but the shape isn't.

Horseshixt, how many times did you throw a Comet before giving up on it?

Two (3?) months is all. I can throw the Bounty fine, which also isn't a comet. I tried hard to like the comet.

You've thrown the Origin? I have it in NEO and EXO soft. You didn't think it was considerably longer than a comet? Still get steep hyzer flips that glide right? Works on low power like a comet? I'm talking shot shapes, not feel, nostalgia, or who does it better.

I'm only a couple years into the game, so consider that too.

I really don't throw mids much. I throw mids about 235. I throw a putter about 220. There aren't that many shots where the extra 15 makes a difference and I'm able to float a putter up much more smooth than a mid. The only time I resort to a mid is if it's a headwind as I carry a mid with good stability and the lower profile catches wind less.

Anything under 200 the putter is just more accurate for me. I throw mostly fairway drivers off the tee and get out to 330 max with those and throwing full drivers doesn't seem to get me that much more distance.

But there's a difference between 3 and 4 speeds. I throw a Harpoon which is listed as a mid by Lone Star but it's a 4 speed putter profile disc. I can throw that 240 at times, it kinda flies like a mid-putter hybrid. You put power on it and it won't turn over. I also throw a Penny Putter that is a speed 3 with a little less stability but that goes about 220 for me. I also put with the Penny Putter. So the Harpoon is basically my midputter so to speak. I have a Texas Ranger that I use from time to time as a mid but I the Harpoon is basically my "throwing putter".

I think I'm a bit unusual in that I use a fast putter (4), slow mid (4), and a fast fairway (10). There's a ton of overlap in the distance and lines I can throw the putter and mid on (and the mid and fairway) but I use them very differently.

The mid is used off the tee: it's more reliable under power and I can throw it on a lower line while getting good distance, anywhere from 240-280 on a straight or held line (fairway gets everything needing actual fade). The putter is used on some tee shots, stuff where the mid will go too far/I'll have to back off too much for comfort, 200-260, downhills, fast/dangerous greens typically.

Main use for it is on second shots on par 4s and 5s or if I've hit early on a par 3: I'm trying to get close to the green/further up the fairway. I don't have to worry about awkward lies or bad footing preventing me from getting the disc up to speed, I can hit smaller gaps, and the softer finish keeps it where I want.

I do keep a slow (3) putter but it's just the most beat of my putting putters and is purely a chip shot/throw-in disc, under 75 feet if that much

Last edited:
You've thrown the Origin? I have it in NEO and EXO soft. You didn't think it was considerably longer than a comet?

Interesting...how much is "considerably longer" distance on the same shot shape? For example if you throw a Comet 300 feet on a certain line/shape, about how far will the Origin go?

I have been going back and forth on this the last 10y. . the last two years i have been on team "throw putters hard" and the next step up was my 7-speeds. .

But now i´m back to backing of my putters and throwing more mids. . and after the mids i go 9-speed.
So for now i only use putter up to 200ft, often standstill or with one step. . after that it´s all mids.

It doesn't matter - he's right
Prove it.
Two (3?) months is all. I can throw the Bounty fine, which also isn't a comet. I tried hard to like the comet.

You've thrown the Origin? I have it in NEO and EXO soft. You didn't think it was considerably longer than a comet? Still get steep hyzer flips that glide right? Works on low power like a comet? I'm talking shot shapes, not feel, nostalgia, or who does it better.

I'm only a couple years into the game, so consider that too.

I think you probably are talking feel. You wouldn't be the first to "try to like the Comet". Unless you have the power to throw a Buzzz 400+ feet like Gibson or Dickerson, the Comet goes as far as any neutral mid when thrown with solid form and not overpowered.