• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

overstable putter for driving

hyperspike

Par Member
I am really lacking a good overstable putter for driving shorter holes... I used to use a mid range but i am blowing past all holes less then 200ft with my middys... so i am searching for a good overstable putter.

I use an flx challenger for straight and turn over approaches, but i am looking for a good hook

I was considering a rhyno or a pig, but i am looking for some advice.

Rhynos are great. They can handle a lot of torque.
Unless you're a forehander, I'd recommend the Zone over a Pig. Zones are better in the hand (IMO), have good speed, and throw like a shorter midrange. Pigs are...pigs. But I have a FHer buddy that makes Pigs fly like Rocs.

I am really lacking a good overstable putter for driving shorter holes... I used to use a mid range but i am blowing past all holes less then 200ft with my middys... so i am searching for a good overstable putter.

I use an flx challenger for straight and turn over approaches, but i am looking for a good hook

I was considering a rhyno or a pig, but i am looking for some advice.

I always use my old ss omega with a fan type grip (thumb and middle finger locked an inch or so in on the flight plate). I'd use the pig though if I were you.

Last edited:
I got a great deal on a champion gator, its the bomb. I had a drone for a while, but the gator is much better imo.
Biz

Rhyno's are great, but they have almost zero glide. They fly as much like a true projectile as any disc on the market (minus the 10M Brick, which doesn't really count). It can handle a lot of speed without turning over, but it doesn't have a lot of hook unless you get it up in the air. The Pig has quite a bit more stability, but also more glide and a touch more speed.

Personally, I use the Pig, but I like a meathook putter for FH and BH. For a stable, straight-line driving putter, I am currently falling in love with the Yeti Aviar.

A Kc pro aviar should be fine for what you are looking for. I use a glo kc aviar for stable drives and it works great in the Oklahoma wind. It's plenty stable if you throw it on a slight.hyper and stay away from OAT.

FLX Challengers are already pretty overstable inside 200'. A bunch of alternatives have already been thrown out there but I'd just get a new Challenger if yours is breaking in and you like that mold. I carry a Zone for something that skips a little more, rolls a little better, and handles forehands in the 175-225' range better for someone with crappy FH skills like me.

A list:

BB Aviar (KC, JK, Yeti Pro, etc.)
Wizard
VooDoo
Ion
Jokeri
Focus
whatever putter you already throw

All of these will work, I would be inclined to think.

bikinjack's list is good (though add P2 and Ridge to the list), but if you're dead set on getting an overstable putter (and I do mean OVERstable) for driving, the Sinus is a very good choice. In the same vein I'd also add the VP. I won't recommend the Zone because it sounds way too fast for what you want (it's almost like a mid IMHO).

Just an option, learn to throw on a true hyzer. Enough hyzer, or enough height with hyzer and you'll get the hole you want. I could go through all the options of how to hit all the lines with a Challenger, but I'm sure you can figure that out on your own. If you want everyone's opinion on which disc you should purchase to satisfy your consumer role and your need to experiment, then buy all those disc they mentioned.

But, if after this you're not convinced. I do it with a Dart and it works. Of course a new disc will reduce the chance of turning it over, unless you're a true powerhouse. Out in the open with lots of winds it's a bit different. But, that wasn't a specification. Even then it can work, unless the winds are 40-50mph.

I like to use my pig for driver especially in headwind. It can hold lines with ease. If you wan t something with more longevity you could try the jokeri like what el kabong said.

Just an option, learn to throw on a true hyzer. Enough hyzer, or enough height with hyzer and you'll get the hole you want. I could go through all the options of how to hit all the lines with a Challenger, but I'm sure you can figure that out on your own. If you want everyone's opinion on which disc you should purchase to satisfy your consumer role and your need to experiment, then buy all those disc they mentioned.

But, if after this you're not convinced. I do it with a Dart and it works. Of course a new disc will reduce the chance of turning it over, unless you're a true powerhouse. Out in the open with lots of winds it's a bit different. But, that wasn't a specification. Even then it can work, unless the winds are 40-50mph.
Very true, but there are lines which are easiest (always shoot the percentages) to hit with an overstable disc. The main example in this case would be a shorter hole that requires a straight line with a harsh fade around a corner at the end. In the first post he did mention he needs a good hook, and it's hard to accomplish this with a neutral disc (still doable of course, and rewarding when it works, but significantly more likely to succeed with an overstable disc).

I throw a vibram VP (Firm), but that disc took so long to get used to. After it beats in, it's pretty nice, but it's expensive to try and not as easy to borrow as a challenger or aviar to try out. Thanks for the help with this throw and great post. I often struggled with this shot and sounds like I just need to go out and practice shaping lines. I guess it's always easy to buy your way out of OAT. Guilty.

Very true, but there are lines which are easiest (always shoot the percentages) to hit with an overstable disc. The main example in this case would be a shorter hole that requires a straight line with a harsh fade around a corner at the end. In the first post he did mention he needs a good hook, and it's hard to accomplish this with a neutral disc (still doable of course, and rewarding when it works, but significantly more likely to succeed with an overstable disc).
I think that pretty much every shot in this range can be accomplished with either a new, stable putter, like the Challenger, a very overstable driver or a stable mid. The very overstable driver thrown from a standstill can take care of overstable shots in the putter driving range and the mid can take care of overstable approach shots like the one described above. I find those types of shots are a rarity, but that might just be the courses I play on.

Short rollers are probably worth messing with for shots like this, too. It's a trick shot, bu I've been saved by little, 50' rollers thrown from in the woods several times.

If you can do all of that stuff with those three discs, but want something different then just pick one of the overstable putters. In a thread like this you'll get recommendations for most all of them so it might just come down to looking at the ratings and throwing them until you find what you're looking for.