• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OWWW! My shoulder hurts!

johnnyfoodstamp

Birdie Member
Yesterday I was feeling good and playing an awesome round. I get to Hole 15, which is 360ft over a big valley, with a little elevation. My first 2 throws with the Teebird and Leopard sailed a good 310ft, right on the money. Both felt nice so I took out a Pro Beast, prepared to chunk the holy hell out of it. I tried to throw it so hard that I popped my left shoulder (I am RHBH) out of socket for a second. Really hurt. The worst part is the Beast hyzered out and went about 220ft. :wall: Now I know I don't need to crush it to throw 300+.

My question is: What should my left arm be doing? I have been concentrating on release point, reach back, etc. with my right arm so I never gave much thought to what my left arm could do for me. I am beginning to think that the limp left arm is why I can't break 330ft or so.

Also, what can I do for a sore shoulder?

stretch it out.. as for the other arm... good question, i see people using the left hand to hold the disc during their reachback, ive tried that but it feels awkward to me..

My question is: What should my left arm be doing?
Keep your left arm pinned to your side. This will allow you to rotate faster (think of a spinning ice skater - the closer they pull their limbs to the axis of rotation, the faster they spin).

Also, what can I do for a sore shoulder?
Rest, ice. Long-term, rotator cuff exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold the joint together.

I say boy, Im a bit miffed how you popped your non-throwing shoulder. In your case I would just keep the arm pinned to your body at least until it heals. PRICE method is best for healing. Some people use the off shoulder/arm to gain more reach back and to bring more momentum into the throw, but its typically close to the body at the hit, for max body rotation speed like a figure skater, or arial skier.

I say boy, Im a bit miffed how you popped your non-throwing shoulder.

Woah, I totally missed that! haha.. I thought you were talking about your throwing shoulder, mainly because I messed mine up over the weekend grip locking a surgess on my final hole of the tourney.. ha . awesome

Yeah, I got lucky it wasn't my throwing shoulder. I think my left arm was flailing like a noodle and that's why it popped out of socket. I am going to remember to tuck it in and hopefully that will help. I always get the strange injuries. One time I dislocated my knee just sitting down too hard. :)

Keep your left arm pinned to your side. This will allow you to rotate faster (think of a spinning ice skater - the closer they pull their limbs to the axis of rotation, the faster they spin).

I am trying this in front of the mirror and it just feels right. I was holding the left arm low and and out almost like how you would hold your arms if you were about to draw in an old west shoot-out. Now I am going to try tucking it in there and up a little, kinda like t-rex.

I have never given any thought to what I am supposed to do with my left arm, other than keep it out of the way. I personally wouldn't give too much attention to what that arm is doing. Instead focus on what the rest of your body is doing.

Probably the worst habit I had to break in DG was pinning my non-throwing arm to my body instead of being an "underarm thrower". The aforementioned increase in rotation was well worth it but it was a month worth of feeling very awkward while driving. But when it clicks and you add big D to your drive with the same effort it's worth it!

The non throwing arm can def. get in the way of a decent throw causing you to release too high, early, bad rotation, etc. There is a discraft video that talks about getting your arm out of the way. I think the mo is natural for you to bring your left arm (RHBH) forward and do the over under. Hard habit to break or even realize you are doing it until it's pointed out or in this case you hurt yourself.

My knowledge on shoulder injuries is limited to my own experiences, but I hope I can help. I am a weightlifter as well as disc golfer. I tore my labrum working out, I never felt an pain from it because I tore it over a long period of time. If your shoulder actually dislocated, then I would suggest going to a doctor, a dislocation is common with a labrum tear and is more apt to happening again. The labrum is what holds your shoulder in the socket. On the other hand, if it is just a pop, then it may just be the mechanics of your shoulder. Mine pop and there is nothing I can do about it. If you're feeling pain from it while lifting anything, then I suggest getting it checked out, but if it doesn't bother you, then it's not very serious. I lived with it for a year before I had surgery to repair it. Definitely a surgery you want to have over the winter months, cause even though I am two weeks out of surgery, my shoulder feels great and I have very minimal pain, I cannot lift for 6 months. Thank god it's my left arm and I throw with my right hand!!!

My knowledge on shoulder injuries is limited to my own experiences, but I hope I can help. I am a weightlifter as well as disc golfer. I tore my labrum working out, I never felt an pain from it because I tore it over a long period of time. If your shoulder actually dislocated, then I would suggest going to a doctor, a dislocation is common with a labrum tear and is more apt to happening again. The labrum is what holds your shoulder in the socket. On the other hand, if it is just a pop, then it may just be the mechanics of your shoulder. Mine pop and there is nothing I can do about it. If you're feeling pain from it while lifting anything, then I suggest getting it checked out, but if it doesn't bother you, then it's not very serious. I lived with it for a year before I had surgery to repair it. Definitely a surgery you want to have over the winter months, cause even though I am two weeks out of surgery, my shoulder feels great and I have very minimal pain, I cannot lift for 6 months. Thank god it's my left arm and I throw with my right hand!!!

Yeah, definitely happy it was the left. No, I am not experiencing a lot of pain from it. The day after I laid out on the couch all day with ice on it. Seems to be a lot better now, though it is still sore if I move it just right. I think it was just a pop.

my non throwing arm hangs dead for all i know, i don't pay attention to it during drives. while i'm putting, i can't even have my non throwing arm in the field of vision, it throws me off that much

I have tried to leave mine dangling next to my body and it throws my balance off. I tend to swing my off-arm back and up. I asked a couple of pros to critique it and basically their response was....as long as it's out of the way.

Ive got a left shoulder problem too! Dont waste money going to docters and therapists, they all tell you the same thing, nothing, and tell you that you need to come back for more sessions. No thanks. Try to get a mesage. There is a nerve below your shoulder blade that when rubbed can be extremely helpfull in letting up pain in your neck, back, shoulder, and chest. u would be surprised. get a tennis ball and put it between a wall and your back, its free and it works pretty good

I can say for a fact, ever since I have been thinking about my left arm, it has been an issue. I used to just throw with no mind to the left arm, but it matters, BIG TIME! Now that I am tucking the left arm in and not letting it flop around like it used to, I am enjoying about 10-40 more ft. on my drives. In some cases, that's the difference between par and birdie. I am glad that my form flaw brought out this obvious error. It feels weird tucking in the left arm and I am still getting used to it but I know it will help in the long run.

Yup. :) I was hoping you would read all of this and know it is your fault for sending me that Beast.

sidenote: That Beast is now my max D RHBH when I am in the zooone. And never any other time.

I'm hoping there's some more knowledge out there about off-arm injuries now. I'm not 100% sure that it's dg that's messing with my off shoulder, but it seems likely. I keep throwing my shoulder out (chiropractor said my AC joint was low (or something like that)). I'm wondering if it's a form flaw, or something more permanent. I'm also putting a couple of ribs out of place, I believe (also non-throwing side).

Latest posts