• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Packaging of discs from a major retailer - Discussion

Is this shipping acceptable?

• totally, I am not at all surprised by this

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • eh, it's not the best but I've seen worse

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • I have no feelings on packaging

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • This is pretty bad...they could do better

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Tell me who this is so I never buy from them, offensive.

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters

tampabay

Double Eagle Member
I recently received a package from a major online retailer and I have included some pics below of how the package arrived. I personally was a little caught off guard but I wanted to get feedback - is this OK? It seems kinda silly that a major manufacturer would risk having to deal with discs getting warped etc. Am I just being a pretentious douche or would you agree that this is sub-par packaging? For the record, there were 6 discs in the package - I paid $7 in shipping and the total after shipping + tax was over $100.

lHrkGEM.png

gYM5Mrt.png

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain I know what retailer you're referring to. I've bought plenty of discs off of that site that came packaged in this way. I've never had any issue with damage.

They're going to see way more abuse on the course than they will in the mail anyway.

I wouldn't mind this type of shipping too much. But if I'm spending 100+ dollars including paying for shipping costs. They better ship the items appropriately. If it was a used disc or free shipping and they were trying to cut costs I could understand it a lot more.

Were your discs harmed in any way? If not, why do you care? I'm sure if they were damaged during shipping, they would replace them.

It's probably not a problem, but it also doesn't give you the warm & fuzzies.

Worst case scenario, discs were stored under/between other packages and show up slightly warped. Most premium plastics should recover pretty well from that. Possibly some more base blends could be permanently damaged.

If there was a problem caused by lack of protective packaging, any decent retailer should have a reasonable return/refund policy. Possibly you'd wind up eating some additional shipping charges (which is ironic) but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

However...it does look sketchy. I personally wouldn't buy from a retailer if I knew they shipped discs like that, unless they had a unique product or significantly lower prices. I guess I'm a packaging snob.

Last edited:
My answer to this poll:

I am not at all surprised by this, it's not the best but I've seen worse, and this is pretty bad...they could do better.

every disc I've bought online was packaged like that. never had any issues

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've had worse, including when a box was used (repurposed, oversized USPS box cut up and put back together in a manner that looked savage. And it was a well known large retailer, too).

The problem w that packaging is completely determined by the local post delivery person.
Without a doubt, our local person would try to jam that thing in the mailbox 2-3x before they gave up and tossed it on the floor.

I think this is a terrible way to ship discs. All it takes is it to get sandwiched between something for the discs to be harmed when they were never used. If i pay for new i want new not its never thrown but it is warped and mangledwithout being thrown. And for the size and price of the order i would expect a box at minimum with bubble wrap around the discs at maximum.

I understand if this was a simple golfer sending a single discs but not a business. I definitely would maybe send a courtesy email letting them know that you did not appreciate having your order being shiped in a tshirt bag so hopefully they may think of changing there ways.

I know I've received packages from a retailer like this, and I was initially put off. The disc(s) was/were fine so I forgot about it.

I've had one retailer cram (more like wedge) an extra disc than could fit in a priority box stacked like your pic. That disc never sat flat. That retailer went from being my first choice to my last.

Between the two scenarios, I'll take yours every day of the week. The question is how your retailer'll handle issues from the packaging when/if they arise with another customer/order.

Considering the number of discs in that package, I think the danger of warping is pretty much non-existent. One disc, even two discs might have enough give in them to bend if they're crammed in a mailbox or something...not a problem with 4-5+ discs as this appears to be.

Seems to me the only real danger in packing discs like that is stressing the envelope enough to tear it and have the discs fall out. Doesn't look like that was the case here, though.

Usually I'm ok with just about any shipping and packaging for a disc I'm going to eventually throw into TREES. (Collectibles are another story.)

But that way there can actually warp the disc. Not ok.

If it's free shipping I'm ok with it. If I pay $7 for shipping, I want to see cardboard or want to see my discs in two days.

Even if the discs arrive undamaged, sending them like that just looks chincy and greatly reduces the chance that someone will buy from them again. I think this is a really bad business decision on the part of that retailer.

agreed... while it's unlikely to get damaged, it just is poor business practice

I've ordered multiples from a couple retailers and have always received them in a box. ^ I agree with Noill, just poor practice.

Marshall Street packages their stuff really well, but they use Priority Mail materials for their interior packing which I'm pretty sure is considered illegal. Not sure how much the USPS cares about this since waste/fraud is rampant in gov't anyway, but it's one of those little things that irks me.

Latest posts