• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs and the quality issues...

Latitude 64 is attempting to address the QC issues with their Royal line, and I expect other manufacturers will as well. Particularly, if Lat64 proves that some players will pay a premium for a better product. Players have already proven that they are willing to play considerably higher prices for new discs. McBeth's Discraft lineup, and recent Discmania releases are evidence of that.

My local PIAS had a half dozen Lat64 Royal Grace discs. They all were as advertised, perfectly smooth with no flashing. I purchased two. The grip was very good, but I wouldn't have been able to distinguish it from Goldline. We'll not know whether they have achieved their goals regarding durability for a season or two. I didn't buy these discs because of the quality improvements. I bought them because I haven't been able to get my hands on a Tournament Sword for what seems like years, and this seems my best option. Fingers crossed, for my seasoned noodle arm those swords were magic.

This is comical; I see the same people that have been trolling dgcr for years saying the same thing over and over in countless threads. Anyone that has an idea related to change or something they are unhappy about will sooner than later be berated by the vets of this site. I've only played for 2.9 years so I can't voice my opinion; seems you have to wait until you have 10 years under your belt before you can do that. This has definitely shed some light on things for me though; thank you for being your true selves; the resistance to any type of change or improvement is strong in you. Make excuses for the manufacturer's and fight to not spend an extra dollar; it's paid off well for you; the industry was stagnant for many many years thanks to you.

I've provided 3 examples of very evident quality issues in the recent past; yet there are none according to the replies I've seen here. And the numerous others that have replied sharing issues; I guess those were fictitious as well. You haven't seen the issue so it must not exist, of course, what was I thinking. It's all or nothing in the manufacturing world; every single part has to be bad or they're all good, silly me. No one has ever purchased something, returned it because it was bad and the replacement was just fine. This never happens, I know, someone couldn't possibly have an issue with something that another doesn't.

This is quite amazing; I've been a member of a car forum for almost 10 years now and I have never once seen people getting slammed for voicing an issue/concern as I do here whereas I can pick almost any thread here and someone will be having a pissing match within it. Oh you're having an issue with a rear caliper too, yeah I had the same, here's what I did. On dgcr... oh you got a crappy teebird, not me, all mine are perfect, you must have done something wrong, learn to throw, or you're way too picky. I saw someone mention smaller baskets; the old heads on here must hate that; I know literally nothing about that thread but someone that replied here was and is still so butthurt they found a way to incorporate it into this thread as well. Such a strong and supportive community on dcgr.

I've made my list of the people that won't be able to resist replying to this; it was easy to create; don't disappoint...

Latitude 64 is attempting to address the QC issues with their Royal line, and I expect other manufacturers will as well. Particularly, if Lat64 proves that some players will pay a premium for a better product. Players have already proven that they are willing to play considerably higher prices for new discs. McBeth's Discraft lineup, and recent Discmania releases are evidence of that.

My local PIAS had a half dozen Lat64 Royal Grace discs. They all were as advertised, perfectly smooth with no flashing. I purchased two. The grip was very good, but I wouldn't have been able to distinguish it from Goldline. We'll not know whether they have achieved their goals regarding durability for a season or two. I didn't buy these discs because of the quality improvements. I bought them because I haven't been able to get my hands on a Tournament Sword for what seems like years, and this seems my best option. Fingers crossed, for my seasoned noodle arm those swords were magic.

Thank you for posting and not being turned away by those that continue to try to convince the community that there are no issues with manufacturer quality. Hopefully the trilogy brands see less defects and increased profits from their attempts at improvements and hopefully it will push other manufacturer's to follow suit and improve as well. :thmbup:

This is comical; I see the same people that have been trolling dgcr for years saying the same thing over and over in countless threads. Anyone that has an idea related to change or something they are unhappy about will sooner than later be berated by the vets of this site. I've only played for 2.9 years so I can't voice my opinion; seems you have to wait until you have 10 years under your belt before you can do that. This has definitely shed some light on things for me though; thank you for being your true selves; the resistance to any type of change or improvement is strong in you. Make excuses for the manufacturer's and fight to not spend an extra dollar; it's paid off well for you; the industry was stagnant for many many years thanks to you.

I've provided 3 examples of very evident quality issues in the recent past; yet there are none according to the replies I've seen here. And the numerous others that have replied sharing issues; I guess those were fictitious as well. You haven't seen the issue so it must not exist, of course, what was I thinking. It's all or nothing in the manufacturing world; every single part has to be bad or they're all good, silly me. No one has ever purchased something, returned it because it was bad and the replacement was just fine. This never happens, I know, someone couldn't possibly have an issue with something that another doesn't.

This is quite amazing; I've been a member of a car forum for almost 10 years now and I have never once seen people getting slammed for voicing an issue/concern as I do here whereas I can pick almost any thread here and someone will be having a pissing match within it. Oh you're having an issue with a rear caliper too, yeah I had the same, here's what I did. On dgcr... oh you got a crappy teebird, not me, all mine are perfect, you must have done something wrong, learn to throw, or you're way too picky. I saw someone mention smaller baskets; the old heads on here must hate that; I know literally nothing about that thread but someone that replied here was and is still so butthurt they found a way to incorporate it into this thread as well. Such a strong and supportive community on dcgr.

I've made my list of the people that won't be able to resist replying to this; it was easy to create; don't disappoint...

I don't get it - are you mad because people are brushing off your complaints? The only consistent thing about discs across different runs is the inconsistency. Slightly different flights, plastic feel, etc. It's expected enough that companies have started to identify run numbers - Millennium was first, Discmania started to eventually but not with markings on the disc. I've had issues with this across basically every company that I've found a disc that I carried in my bag for a while, and that list of companies is much longer than I care to admit.

You don't have to be a 10 year vet posting here to get people to listen - you just have to be reasonable and not make mountains out of what other people say, don't be so combative. I'm sure I'm not on your "list", because I don't think I've read anything notable that you've posted outside of this thread (don't take offense - I'm not nearly as active reading everything new that pops up - there's so much redundancy when you've been on the forums for long enough) I did reply to this because your post was incredibly whiny, about a topic that has been beaten to death so many times around here that there's literally nothing new to talk about - with maybe the exception of the L64 Royal line.

Anyone who says there aren't quality issues with discs is either ignorant, trolling, or hasn't bought that many discs. If you've only played 2.9 years as you say, you haven't seen the wild discrepancies that a lot of us have (ThreePutt mentioned the Destrulcans, but there are other examples: The 2nd run FD > FD2 problem is one that springs to mind) What's going to change that in the long run? Discs will have to sell for more money. Which is difficult because most disc golfers don't want to pay premium prices.

Last edited:
Crabapillar:

Feel free to start your own DG company, complete with better quality control and greatly improved consistency. You obviously think that's a segment of that market that's underserved, if not completely untapped.

Be the Mercedes to their GM, Ford, Toyota, and Chrysler. Take the high road, with premium designs, premium material, and above all else, premium consistency, catering to the discriminating player, while the others fight it out amongst themselves selling cheap plastic to the masses.

Raise your venture capital and good luck to you. I hope you're back here in five years telling us how you owe your success to all of us for not demanding more from the industry back in the day.

Otherwise, give it a rest.

Or you could just resist chiming in when you have nothing to add; but looking at your number of posts it's very evident that isn't in the realm of possibility. If you don't think anything needs to change or you don't want it to change, or you've never experienced an issue, cool, keep adjusting that carburetor on your pontiac.

I don't get it - are you mad because people are brushing off your complaints? The only consistent thing about discs across different runs is the inconsistency. Slightly different flights, plastic feel, etc. It's expected enough that companies have started to identify run numbers - Millennium was first, Discmania started to eventually but not with markings on the disc. I've had issues with this across basically every company that I've found a disc that I carried in my bag for a while, and that list of companies is much longer than I care to admit.

You don't have to be a 10 year vet posting here to get people to listen - you just have to be reasonable and not make mountains out of what other people say, don't be so combative. I'm sure I'm not on your "list", because I don't think I've read anything notable that you've posted outside of this thread (don't take offense - I'm not nearly as active reading everything new that pops up - there's so much redundancy when you've been on the forums for long enough) I did reply to this because your post was incredibly whiny, about a topic that has been beaten to death so many times around here that there's literally nothing new to talk about - with maybe the exception of the L64 Royal line.

Anyone who says there aren't quality issues with discs is either ignorant, trolling, or hasn't bought that many discs. If you've only played 2.9 years as you say, you haven't seen the wild discrepancies that a lot of us have (ThreePutt mentioned the Destrulcans, but there are other examples: The 2nd run FD > FD2 problem is one that springs to mind)

Thank you for shedding some light on the people in this community; yourself included. You're apologizing for not actively reading all the threads but calling me whiny because just like you I haven't read every post on here and what I posted may be redundant.

Thank you for shedding some light on the people in this community; yourself included. You're apologizing for not actively reading all the threads but calling me whiny because just like you I haven't read every post on here and what I posted may be redundant.

Yikes, bud

I read this whole thread. Most responses in this thread were reiterating information that's been talked about before so you already got the quick summary without having to dig through everything in the archives.

You're directly attacking me instead of discussing any of the relevant on topic information that I actually did provide. You brought up a good topic, which does need to be discussed again due to the L64 Royal line and Tour series discs going up in price even more. But, your responses have a disregard for the experience of the community here, even though there are many that are rough around the edges. People will take you more seriously if you appear more willing to have an actual discussion instead of appearing so combative.

5dmaxd.jpg

Thank you for posting and not being turned away by those that continue to try to convince the community that there are no issues with manufacturer quality. Hopefully the trilogy brands see less defects and increased profits from their attempts at improvements and hopefully it will push other manufacturer's to follow suit and improve as well. :thmbup:

We are not trying to convince the community of anything. Those of us that like the inconsistency, like to talk about why we like the inconsistencies. We do not claim that it is the correct or incorrect way to look at it or that manufacturers are correct or incorrect in the way that they produce their discs. We make the manufacturers inconsistences work for us and some of us like it. If Innova started to make ever destroyer the exact same, it would not deter me from the destroyer what so ever. We work with what we have and for some of us, it works well.

You lost me by grossly misrepresenting quality and supply issues outside of disc golf. What you present isn't a disc golf issue, it is a modern society issue.

I've provided 3 examples of very evident quality issues in the recent past; yet there are none according to the replies I've seen here. And the numerous others that have replied sharing issues; I guess those were fictitious as well. You haven't seen the issue so it must not exist, of course, what was I thinking. .

Yes....you've provided examples. No, people are not saying they are fictitious. People are saying:

It's not important enough to them.
They don't care.

It's a 'return on investment' issue. If manufacturers improved their processes to make perfect, matching discs the price would increase. Then people would care more. Paying $20 for a disc - I don't really care is two similar discs bought at different times are exactly the same. I don't care if there is a small flaw - heck, the disc is going to hit objects and get damaged anyways. Now, if the disc costs me $40 - that's different...I'm going to want them to fly the same and be more 'perfect'.

Now...if you are a collector... then you might be wanting perfect discs. But the manufacturers aren't creating collector discs - the market is turning discs into collector items. If the manufacturers were creating collector discs, they would be charging collector prices for them. You would see Discmania selling Tilts for $100 instead of $20 (when they are available). Innova would sell Sexton Firebirds for $400 instead of $20. But they are not creating collector discs....just discs for play - and discs for play don't need to be perfect.

TLDR: The manufactures aren't creating perfect discs because they create discs for play and those discs are going to hit hard objects and get dinged/damaged anyways....so why perfect a process that will cause the price of discs to go up?

Lol.....this is the same oldmanballcon nonsense. If you are not happy with something and have no solution, there is very little discussion outside of "it sucks".

I get this with sports chats, all the time. The Wings suck.....well, thanks for the input. How about those prospects....the Wings suck. You see how this always goes. Usually with the "it sucks" OP, getting all butthurt and the discussion turns to posting about other posters.

So....with the absence of any proposed, viable, near term solution, thanks for bringing your qualm to this forum. Any other feedback, information or solutions on the topic, OP?

Here is where I am struggling with the premise of the OP argument.

I have this hobby/sport that I do for ENJOYMENT. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Good enough that I keep doing it. I simply like to go to the park and throw discs at a target and I am good with just doing that.

Now you come and tell me that I am the problem.

Because I have played it a few years and enjoy it as it is, I am the problem the game is not as good as you want it to be. I should be unhappy and complaining that it is not good enough?

Why beat up those who are playing and enjoy it?

Why not be thankful for the game you were given and put your effort into making it a little better?

I have no problem with you wanting more perfect discs, that's your choice. I have a problem with you being mad that I don't demand a more perfect disc.

The OP makes a lot of good points, I kinda disagreed at first but the more I think about it, the more I agree. Just because I've only got a few bad discs over the years doesn't mean you got three bad discs in one order.

So you've convinced me, crabapillar, for whatever that's worth. I won't hold my breath that Innova or Discraft are going to spend a lot of time worrying about it, but maybe in the long term the quality will improve.

Lol.....this is the same oldmanballcon nonsense. If you are not happy with something and have no solution, there is very little discussion outside of "it sucks".

I get this with sports chats, all the time. The Wings suck.....well, thanks for the input. How about those prospects....the Wings suck. You see how this always goes. Usually with the "it sucks" OP, getting all butthurt and the discussion turns to posting about other posters.

So....with the absence of any proposed, viable, near term solution, thanks for bringing your qualm to this forum. Any other feedback, information or solutions on the topic, OP?

but, umm...the Wings do suck. :wall:

I think an important distinction to make here is the difference between "quality" and "consistency".

Quality issues are things like flashing, sink, and otherwise blemished discs.

Consistency is not being able to make the same exact disc repeatedly.

I give a slight pass to minor consistency issues. They can't really be avoided. Discs are inherently a tough geometry to mold consistently for starters, and keeping up with all the variables that affect consistency all the time would push discs wayyyy out of our comfortable price range. So that I can live with, to a certain point.

Quality on the other hand. I'm a BIG stickler for that. Discs with excessive flashing (or flashing period) or other blemishes should be caught and remedied. Not sold as a normal disc. These things are far easier to control. All it takes is for someone to A) care and B) pay attention.

but, umm...the Wings do suck. :wall:

So bad, In fact, that my sports brain had to ponder for a half hour as to what sport you were even talking about! Granted, I'm not a hockey (they are a hockey team, right??) person at all, but, I'd recognize most of the team names.

Latest posts