• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce and Devan Owens,Will Schusterick

I've also played a few rounds with Connor Jones. That equals about a billion times more talent than most of you fools will ever see.

Dude has great hair, too.

I've had the pleasure of watching Climo and Feldberg play a few holes before teaching a clinic in my area. They made the shots look almost effortless, and watching them putting is like watching industrial machinery: amazing consistency of motion, as if their body parts are moving on rails. Climo, especially, gives that impression when he's putting.

I played a round with a VERY talented local guy in a small tournament recently, and though he was somewhat out of practice, he happened to have a hot round, and quietly deuced most of the course. As effortless as his round seemed that day, even he didn't have that "je ne sais quoi" aura that's almost palpable when you witness a multiple world champ throw a disc. It really is like they're a different animal altogether.

I had a chance to walk idlewild with Will Schusterick and Dave Feldberg last year. It truly is an eye opening and jaw dropping experience. It is unbelievable how easy they make it look and then generate so much power. The team they played against were in the 1000 rated area and were good in their own right but it is unbelievable the talent difference between 1000 rated players and the 1020 and higher players.

Back on topic! it was good to have them come out and put on the clinic. I wasnt expecting to get much from it, but a few tweeks to my throw from Will and I immediately picked up an extra 50-75ft.

MANGO OPEN RANT>>>

I thought it was disgraceful how the Mango open's TD handled the final nine!

No "big" names make the final nine so he decides (after the fact) to include half the field! 7000+ft in nine holes.... really! Is this a true disc golf tournament or a long drive contest?

Also there was a playoff for Int division. They have a playoff, walk to the TD and give him the results.. and he says "Oh I didn't see it so you'll have to do it again!" No problem my son won the playoff a second time!

Hey Mr TD! Get your act together and don't change the rules at the end of the tournament when you don't like the results! And post accurate results on the PDGA web site!

END Rant! thanks you...

Make no mistake about it, it was great to play with a top pro, but I only consider top 5-10% of a group to be elite. And he's barely on the outside of that group when compared to the top 100 disc golfers in the US.

But he's still in the top 25, which says enough about how good he is. I don't care how you interpret elite, he's a great player regardless of that and it was a pleasure to play with him.

Ok whatever. A quick google search says otherwhise http://www.pdga.com/world-rankings

Will and Mcbeth are on their own level. It's been tough for Feldberg and Nikko to keep up let alone the rest of the great players. I'd say Anthon has it but just hasn't been able to win the big one.

pretty incredible playing with Mcbeth at the DM Challenge. Just doesn't even seem like he's doing anything special until you add up the scorecards.

Guess its a Charlotte thing, but I've played several casual rounds with MJ (as a twosome) and many other groupings with Big Jerm, Barry Schultz, Cam Todd, Stan McDaniel, and too many others to recall. All throw so effortlessly, you wonder why? Experiences still haven't improved my senior grand master play!

Last edited:
Guess its a Charlotte thing, but I've played several casual rounds with MJ (as a twosome) and many other groupings with Big Jerm, Barry Schultz, Cam Todd, Stan McDaniel, and too many others to recall. All throw so effortlessly, you wonder why? Experiences still haven't improved my senior grand master play!

Its just like any other athletic activity. Some people just get it. Some of them may not be able to put it into words even, they just...do. Not to say they dont practice or have things they could learn, just that for some it comes easier. I believe that to be the case with some of these more athletic, Climo-esque in build players. Cam, Will, Wysocki, etc. there seems to be a prototypical body type that lends itself to disc golf, and i think we'll see more and more of these kids popping up every year that are tall and skinny, and throw a mile.

Its just like any other athletic activity. Some people just get it. Some of them may not be able to put it into words even, they just...do. Not to say they dont practice or have things they could learn, just that for some it comes easier. I believe that to be the case with some of these more athletic, Climo-esque in build players. Cam, Will, Wysocki, etc. there seems to be a prototypical body type that lends itself to disc golf, and i think we'll see more and more of these kids popping up every year that are tall and skinny, and throw a mile.

GG is one of the farthest throwers...

GG is one of the farthest throwers...

Cool story. Obviously you are focusing on the least important part of what I said.
Ya he throws really really far. So does lil wiggins. So does big jerm. How many majors have they won?

Make no mistake about it, it was great to play with a top pro, but I only consider top 5-10% of a group to be elite. And he's barely on the outside of that group when compared to the top 100 disc golfers in the US.

But he's still in the top 25, which says enough about how good he is. I don't care how you interpret elite, he's a great player regardless of that and it was a pleasure to play with him.

So by your numbers elite means you have to be in the top 5-10 in the US. I would go a little beyond that myself. Steve Rico is an elite player IMO.

I've played with a couple of 1015+ rated players in tournaments and the difference I've seen really seems to be mid range shots. They are dead on with mid range approach shots from 100-250' Their putting hasn't ever blown me away, and i have a large fairly accurate arm, so drives and distance haven't shocked me either....but their mid range play has always been amazing to me. (which is forcing me to practice my mids A LOT more)

I've played with a couple of 1015+ rated players in tournaments and the difference I've seen really seems to be mid range shots. They are dead on with mid range approach shots from 100-250' Their putting hasn't ever blown me away, and i have a large fairly accurate arm, so drives and distance haven't shocked me either....but their mid range play has always been amazing to me. (which is forcing me to practice my mids A LOT more)

I think what youre seeing is a lot of people with well rounded games. So when youre playing with them and watching them, your instinct is to put more emphasis on the part of your game that is the weakest (midrange in this case), does that make sense?

Either way, youre doing it right. Play with better players and pay attention to what they do lol