• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Patriot vs. Inspire vs. Switch

sjberry2017

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm looking to add an understable complement to my TL, and I don't necessarily just want to go back to the Leopard. I was initially wanting a Switch, but I've been told the Inspire doesn't fade as hard at the end. Also, I like the Legacy business model and the Patriot looks like a good disc as well. So if it were up to you, which disc would you choose to complement a TL and why?

leopard, because none of those discs are as slow as the leopard and the TL is already a bit understable once it seasons. the leopard is easier to manipulate than those discs because they require a higher power threshold before they start to do their thing, especially when you consider pro leopards.

Last edited:
I would go Patriot for sure. I recommend Icon plastic, its going to be less stable out of the box than the pinnacle or legend plastic and its going to break in a little faster to the flight you want.

The patriot will probably overlap with the TL out of the box though. why not just get leopard if thats what your looking for.

i have a white icon 169g i think it is and it has some perfect turn right out of the box and very gummy.

I also recommend a Leo. Patriot and TL will have a lot of overlap.

Prodigy F7 is what i use for that spot. Very versatile and underrated disc

Or you could try a Underworld, it's more US than all those other discs.

If only those 3 discs are considered...

Short term reward: Patriot in Icon

Long term reward: Inspire in Neutron

Priceless: OOP 7/10 Barstamp Pro Leopards

I just bought a Patriot based on the -2/1 turn and fade numbers but I'm finding I don't get the -2 turn (don't have a big arm though). I expect you'll find this one very close to your TL. The Inspire and Switch both have more turn for me but the switch fades back more. If you want some turn without having to put to much juice on it I'd say either Inspire or Leo (which turns with the least effort).

Hey! I'll let you try one of my Patriots next time we catch a round buddy.

I've thrown the Inspire and didn't like it. It requires too much effort to get the magical gyro going.

My Icon Patriots kicked my beat Star TLs out of the bag but aren't the same understable as a Leopard. They aren't turnover discs like Pro Leopards, RoadRunners, Sidewinders, etc.

I think you want pro leopard or some sort of eagle L. I have thrown the Inspire and Patriot and they are more HHS than a Leo, much harder to turn over.

Leopards are domier than I like so I sometimes throw DX Eagle L's for turnovers. More fade than a Leo fresh but the turn is still there. They get enough turn as they season to hold turnovers unless thrown really high.

Champ Eagle L would work after you break it in, but I suppose a patriot or Inspire would as well at that point.

I just got a 161 N Inspire yesterday and only had the chance to throw it 6-7 times. I threw it right beside my 159 Star Leopard. Both have some wear on them.

On straight throws they had similar flight but the Inspire was more understable. Finished about 15 feet to the right of all the straight throws.

I then threw a few on a slight anny and the Inspire again finished to the right of the Leopard but by about 25 feet. Seemed to have more glide which surprised me.

Granted I'm an MVP junkie so I'm biased and it's a very small sample size but that Leopard has my only ace. The Leopard is going on the wall and the Inspire is going in the bag.

My Legend Patriots are less stable than my Icon Patriots. I liken Legend Patriots to a JLS and Icon Pats to QJLS.

The JLS hits similar lines as Leos, has comparable HSS, same speed, base plastic is Innova's pro plastic, but tends to have a bit more fade than a Leo where a seasoned Leo will lock onto a line and ride that line to the ground like a well seasoned roc.

For the record, if you throw Mids over 250' the Underworld is out of the box roller flippy. Eagle-Ls will develop some turn but they fade at the end unless you have enough power to hyzer-flip straighten them out. I bag an EL and it sets one stability slot greater than my g*teebird. Also, Patriots are 5% longer than Leos mainly due to a slightly wider rim.

Short answer: Legend Patriot:thmbup:

Hey! I'll let you try one of my Patriots next time we catch a round buddy.

I've thrown the Inspire and didn't like it. It requires too much effort to get the magical gyro going.

Sweet man, thanks.

Overall, after reading this thread though, I'm feeling like going with a Leo will probably be the answer (thanks for your thoughts everyone!). I have a beat one that I just added to my bag for a round Sunday. The reason I had it out of the bag so long is that the writing on the bottom seems to say it is 178 grams, which is overweight for a Leopard. However, I think it may just be that whoever wrote the weight on the bottom carried the circle of the 5 all the way around through the 5 to make it look like an 8. Regardless, since it's a DX disc, I'll probably look to replace it with a Pro or Star plastic disc (I don't really dig champion unless it's a midrange disc, I just don't like the lack of grip).

or a super beat star :D no better innova plastic than stampless scuffed up star which gets a little g* flex to it and lots of glide like baseline runs.

Yeah, I really dig the grip (G)Star offers; Pro is pretty good as well though, plus it's less expensive than Star...

used star prices should be the same as new pro and longer life really. If the courses you play are mostly grassy without any rocks/gravel etc its not a big issue though.

Latest posts