• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay to play disc golf

for any public park to avoid the problems most have is to have a very active club. we up keep the park. we are all self policing(w/o acting like entitled a**holes) so the city loves us and gives us really nice perks. so being broke i'd rather donate some time to help up-keep the park and be able to just run by for a quick round 'cause i got an hour or two to spare w/o shelling out ten bucks.

I will not introduce someone on a Pay to play.

Most P2P out here is on DOBG courses, and they are actually the better option for showing off the sport. I am specifically referring to DeBell and Verdugo Hills. Both are beginner friendly, it's hard to lose a disc, there is a pretty wide variety of shots, and the frequency of running into a-holes or large groups is much smaller. Gives a better impression of the sport. Would I introduce somebody at Goat Hill? Of course not.

I have probably mention in this thread before that I think DOBG is the future of urban disc golf. Here in Los Angeles there just aren't that many places to put courses in. Municipal courses are struggling and they seem to be getting an income from these...so I say bring em on!

Even disc golf's most elite pay to play courses don't cost hardly anything compared to ball golf. Pay to play in terms of disc golf is just fine. I also agree with sloppydisc that supporting private courses is a must. One of the main draws of disc golf is free courses, but even the pay to play courses are really inexpensive. The only part that may hit your wallet is the ski slope courses and lift tickets.

You do know how much money is put on a golf course daily right? My local golf course (considered a nice one but still) pay its surintendent in the 6 digits. We pay for ball golf because there is a lot of money invested on the course on a daily baisis. At least half a dozen full time employee on maintenance, a dozen in the club house and the list goes on. Comparing the two is ridiculous to me.
I will gladly pay 10$ to play a course in which a lot of money has been invested. But I hope we will never have to pay 60$ to play a casual round of disc golf.

Some courses deserve the donations. Some courses are good only because they are free and they arent maintained well enough to receive any money from me.

A few courses on the other hand, are quite nice and only charge $5 when I think most people would be more than willing to pay even $10

I see no problem in pay to play. mainly because those courses are pretty far from me. I couldn't see paying everyday to play disc golf. that would add up really quick. I've paid to play a public course before and it was not worth it at all. the money was obviously not going back into the park, as the grass was almost all dirt and tees signs were missing the sign. What's a post suppose to tell me?

Free courses are vital to the sport. People do not often get started on pay to play. The free/low cost to play is a large draw of the sport. However. Pay to play courses are great for providing a disc golf only atmosphere with less players.
As long as it is appropriately priced I have no problem paying for my round, but I will not introduce someone on a Pay to play.

complete agreement. I never mind paying if the course is a quality round. I have also noticed that on these rare occasions, the course is more well kept and there is less foot traffic which makes for a more enjoyable round.

free courses are an absolute necessity its what this sport is founded on. pay to play has its place but every area should have a free local course. new players arnt going to want to pay every time the play.

Bingo. Like many have said before, I am willing to pay to play, but it has to be better than the free options(if there are any free options). I think there should be free options and pay to play. WHen I started playing real basket disc golf, the only one nearby was pay to play. I would have liked options for both.

I am your REC average player can only throw about 350, on a good day. Most of my play is on the weekend with maybe 1 or 2 games during the week. For the most part, I only pay to play anymore.
Reasons:
1. Running into groups of 6 to 8 around hole 4 "seems to happen" dragging 30 gallon cooler of beer and will not let any one play through.
2. Having a disc come crashing down near me, without a word said, as I'm pulling my putter out of the basket. WTF let me finish the hole before you tee off!
3. I have to get up and out of the house by 7:00am if I want to get two good rounds on a free course before it turns to ****. If it's my day off, I would like to sleep in.
4. I've had more call back on lost discs from pay courses.
5. Pay to play courses are generally nicer and more challenging. Thx, for the great hospitality at Phantom falls Paul.

All in all, disc golf is like the rest of everything in the world. It just needs some common curtesy and manners. They say nothing is free anymore, I will be more than happy to pay for curtesy.

I really wish this was not true. I know that it is generalizing, but the same holds true for southeast michigan courses as well. I really want everyone to have fun, unfortunatly many only know how to do this at others expense.