• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Approved?

jamesmcgowan

I notice on most discs it says PDGA Approved. I noticed I have one disc however that does not. For my birthday I asked for the Discraft ESP Buzzz SuperColor basically cause I thought it looked badass. Upon playing with it I noticed it is slightly bigger than most discs. Recently I noticed the lack of PDGA approved on the disc.

Is this a PDGA approved disc?

It should be. ESP plastic is recently new though, should be stamped. Have you compared it to a Zephyr? It is a plate compared to others and it's PDGA approved. Does it have any iside crust stamping?
F

They don't want ruin their pretty super-color stamps with some text about regulations, but it is most definitely approved. Generally speaking, mid-range discs are a slightly larger diameter than drivers.

I've heard a rumor that the stamping process actually changes the stability/flight of the disc....not sure if there's any truth to it though.

Last edited:
I've heard a rumor that the stamping process actually changes the stability/flight of the disc....not sure if there's any truth to it though.

It's true. I have an IOS stamped Destroyer that flies much differently than my other Destroyers. It's something with what they used or how they did it but it's VERY domey compared to my other Destroyers.

Supercolor Buzzzes tend to be way more understable than you'd think. If you like your Buzzzes for turnover shots you might give them a try, but otherwise... Nah.

Here's the wording for the Tech Standards regarding disc identification. Having "PDGA Approved" on the disc is recommended but not required:

"As of July 1, 2010, all newly-approved discs must carry the approved model name either engraved in the mold or as part of the disc art, permanent sticker label or by indelible ink marking. The full model name is recommended, but the use of unique abbreviations or codes is acceptable. Such codes must either be identified with the submission for approval, or supplied to the Technical Standards Committee for variants produced after the original approval.

It is also highly recommended that all approved discs carry the words "PDGA Approved" either engraved in the mold and/or as part of the disc art or a permanent sticker. Manufacturers are also encouraged to add the model and approval identification to all previously-approved discs when it is feasible to do so. All approved discs manufactured after January 1, 2012 must comply with these standards."

i guess this begs the question, for companies like Innova that dont mold the PDGA Approved or the Mold into the disc, but rather place it in the stamp, if you wipe the stamp could this raise some issues at tournaments?

Yes, dealing with custom hotstamps and dyed discs is an unresolved issue at the moment but in theory, manufacturers may need to use PDGA Approved stickers by January 2012 such that custom stamp and dyed discs are marked.

i guess I dont understand why they dont tool the molds with the proper information or bottom stamp that information. Stickers come off over time as well, and stamps will naturally rub off with enough use

We'll just have to see how the maunfacturers deal with it going forward. It hasn't been a pressing issue since it's rare to find a disc being used in competition that wasn't approved. It seems to help sales or manufacturers might not be getting some models approved. But it may become more of a problem as the sport booms and other manufacturers get a foothold with unapproved discs for the rec market even if their discs would meet the specs if they were submitted for approval.

Latest posts