• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Hero 235

Dr. Bogey

Birdie Member
The other day I rediscovered a Hero 235 in my stash of miscellaneous flying discs. It's basically a larger-diameter Sonic (aka the Hero 215). I threw it around the yard for a bit and played some catch with my kids, and WOW is it ever a fantastic frisbee! So glidey, so easy to throw and catch. Understable, but easily controllable. I'm gonna try bagging it in place of my Lightning Upshot for a while.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the 235, so I thought I'd start one. I did some digging for info, and 235s are available in some interesting variations. They're mainly marketed as dog discs. Most info was found at the Hero Discs website.

• Air 235. Looks like this is the basic model, about 103g.
  • Xtra 235 Freestyle. More durable plastic, about 105g.
  • Xtra 235 Distance. Grippier plastic, about 110g.
  • SuperClass. DX plastic, seems like it comes in heavier weights but I couldn't find any specific weight info.
  • SuperHero. Champion plastic. I saw one at 136g.
  • SuperStar. Star plastic. I saw weights from 125g to 143g.
  • SuperAero 235–K9 Candy. Looks like Blizzard plastic. Weights from 116g–136g.
  • SuperAero 235–Starlite. Starlite plastic, with a weight range of 117g–121g.
  • Innova SuperDog. GStar plastic, one listed at 148g.

The 235 is PDGA approved as "Hero Disc Type 235 from Innova Champion Discs." I saw conflicting opinions on old posts here about whether or not all the variations are included in that approval. I'd be interested in seeing something definitive on the matter.

The superclass branded ones are closer to star than Dx. When we thought superclass events were going to be a real thing we some new options hit the market. They did come in heavier weights. I have a 160s and one close to 180. Came quite warped and was flippier than the 160s one.
Fun Ds for sure.
May be able to find good chatter about them in the old superclass thead

The other day I rediscovered a Hero 235 in my stash of miscellaneous flying discs. It's basically a larger-diameter Sonic (aka the Hero 215). I threw it around the yard for a bit and played some catch with my kids, and WOW is it ever a fantastic frisbee! So glidey, so easy to throw and catch. Understable, but easily controllable. I'm gonna try bagging it in place of my Lightning Upshot for a while.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the 235, so I thought I'd start one. I did some digging for info, and 235s are available in some interesting variations. They're mainly marketed as dog discs. Most info was found at the Hero Discs website.

• Air 235. Looks like this is the basic model, about 103g.
  • Xtra 235 Freestyle. More durable plastic, about 105g.
  • Xtra 235 Distance. Grippier plastic, about 110g.
  • SuperClass. DX plastic, seems like it comes in heavier weights but I couldn't find any specific weight info.
  • SuperHero. Champion plastic. I saw one at 136g.
  • SuperStar. Star plastic. I saw weights from 125g to 143g.
  • SuperAero 235–K9 Candy. Looks like Blizzard plastic. Weights from 116g–136g.
  • SuperAero 235–Starlite. Starlite plastic, with a weight range of 117g–121g.
  • Innova SuperDog. GStar plastic, one listed at 148g.

The 235 is PDGA approved as "Hero Disc Type 235 from Innova Champion Discs." I saw conflicting opinions on old posts here about whether or not all the variations are included in that approval. I'd be interested in seeing something definitive on the matter.

I throw the Supersonic (215) for my dog all the time and was told by Sam at Hero Disc that they are PDGA legal under the Sonic approval. I don't see any reason any of the variants would not be legal. These discs are fantastic for learning to manipulate angles, etc.

The ones approved for competition follow the same weight guidelines as standard discs -- 8.3 g/cm of outside diameter. There were quite a few of the Superheros on the market 190+g when they first came out. Can't find any over 180 now and I doubt any more will get made as the dream of Superclass never got traction. Its a moose of an upshot disc and fabulous for playing catch on windy beaches.