• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag needs some upgrading

The_IRA

Background Info:
Last week I posted my bag for review and got good results based (minimalized newbie bag). However, I selected a DX teebird to be a straight/wind fighter but found out the DX plastic made it understable right out of the box. My local course always has at least 10mph wind out in the open, so I still need good overstable/wind fighters!

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 2 months
Throwing Style: RHBH (need practice in others)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) Buzzz: 220/250'; sidewinder: 300?

Optional:
Age -24yo male
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: too many understable discs for my windy local course; My discs fly all over in the wind!
Specific areas of desired feedback: Help with disc selection for my current situation and local course.

CURRENT Bag:
Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 DX Teebird - new, right out of the box slightly understable; huge dings in it already, disappointed
168 DX Sidewinder - new, works like it should, but only gets used when I'm not going into wind and need to anhyzer around a mando/trees

Mids:
175 Z Buzzz - new, does exactly what its supposed to (slight anhyzer when released flat, goes straight); a keeper

Putters:
175 KC Pro Aviar - main putter
??? Aviar PnA - beat up old "hand me down" (used to use it before got the KC).

WANT TO BUY to add to Bag:
Drivers:
170? Z Predator - my wind fighter as well as straight/hyzer driver (picking this over Firebird... but still possibility).
**(possible addition to predator for shorter dist) 170? Champ Teebird (so I can throw how a teebird was meant to fly and why I bought it in the first place) or Z-XS/XL (tried an old XS a friend had and I was throwing it straight with huge accuracy, but saw ratings that new ones are slightly understable?)
***Any opinions on an avenger to replace the predator?

Mids:
175-177 Vector (Proton plastic) - Heard good things about this being a good overstable mid that can fight wind and drive well.

Last edited:
if the teebird is understable out of the box for you and you're throwing it ~300' then it's a form issue not the disc. just sayin'. keep throwing it though, as it beats in more it will become a versatile disc. a pred is a good wind fighting disc, but you should learn how to throw a non-overstable disc in the wind. this article from discraft is also very good.

if you get a premium plastic teebird, go with star plastic. avenger is not beefy enough to fight the wind like a pred will. for an overstable mid, you can try a kc roc/wasp/pain for that slot as well. your drivers are a good weight but i would go a little lighter with the mids, like 171-172. and keep throwing the beat aviar, it's a great upshot disc.

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 DX Teebird - new, right out of the box slightly understable; huge dings in it already, disappointed
168 DX Sidewinder - new, works like it should, but only gets used when I'm not going into wind and need to anhyzer around a mando/trees

Mids:
175 Z Buzzz - new, does exactly what its supposed to (slight anhyzer when released flat, goes straight); a keeper

Putters:
175 KC Pro Aviar - main putter
??? Aviar PnA - beat up old "hand me down" (used to use it before got the KC).

WANT TO BUY to add to Bag:
Drivers:
170? Z Predator - my wind fighter as well as straight/hyzer driver (picking this over Firebird... but still possibility).
**(possible addition to predator for shorter dist) 170? Champ Teebird (so I can throw how a teebird was meant to fly and why I bought it in the first place) or Z-XS/XL (tried an old XS a friend had and I was throwing it straight with huge accuracy, but saw ratings that new ones are slightly understable?)
***Any opinions on an avenger to replace the predator?

Mids:
175-177 Vector (Proton plastic) - Heard good things about this being a good overstable mid that can fight wind and drive well.

I agree with GLong -pick up a Star Teebird and use it alongside the DX.

One thing that you should also consider - part of the issue with wind is the way you throw, not just the discs. Although a bit of stability is helpful, your throwing style will play a huge part in how well the disc responds. I don't really see the need for the vector in your bag at this point - the heavy buzzz should be workable in most wind

I would first defiantly like your thinking bout the predator as you dont have to beat it in just to fly really good, but for sidewinder you could change that into a champion plastic as that was my friends favorite discs in champion plastic.

It seems like you've done some research and looked into what you should get. The vector will be a nice addition to the mids, and the predator is a good overstable driver (I'll give a shout out to checking out the Firebird instead cause it's my personal preference :) ). Maybe an understable mid like a fuse or meteor would round out that mid section. Also, I would look into upgrading to a higher plastic drivers.

if the teebird is understable out of the box for you and you're throwing it ~300' then it's a form issue not the disc.

I regularly throw in 10-20 mph winds with 166-168 DX Teebirds (in all wear stages) with great success, and I rarely throw farther than 300'.

Try releasing with a little more hyzer, OP. I throw some beat DX TBs with almost a 30 degree down angle and have them pop up flat. With only 2 months under your belt, you have a lot of time to work on it.

I would suggest pairing a champ TB with the DX (instead of star) to gain more stability.

An XL or Eagle would be a good fairway driver addition to your bag, as would a Vector or KC Pro Roc for a mid.

Last edited:
Champ Eagle or Teebird

Kc Pro Roc or an Opto Pain for midrange.

you might want to consider an OS putter to pair with your Aviar as well.

High winds do make overstable discs a necessity, but I have to agree that you probably can do more with what you have now. It's surprising what decent form and some practice can add to your wind game, even with neutral or understable discs. A lot of it is minimizing oat/torque and incorporating clean hyzers/hyzer flips. I've never really seen a dud Teebird that was understable, but some are more beefy than others - getting a lighter champ is a great idea.

Vector is a nice slightly overstable mid and a good addition to the bag, but it's not a true wind fighter. If you want it for strong winds (15mph +) then look for a first run or choose another disc like the Gator, Drone, Trident, etc. 10mph is no problem so it might be exactly what you want. Vectors can flip in moderate winds, especially if you have some oat, and they often won't fight out of it. However, it's a great disc. Others just like it are the Pain, and SM Roc. I have come to prefer the Pain out of the three and if you're talking only 10mph then you might like it better than the Vector...bit more glide and a little better feel in the hand.

If you want to squeeze out some more distance in heavy wind than the mids might get you without going to a driver like the Teebird or Predator, then pick up a dx Viper...large diameter, but grossly overstable and you can really rip on those even with oat and they'll go a bit farther and always fight back. They'll keep that overstability until they get severely beaten in. Banshee or Eagle-X are also good alternatives here.

Really, though, the discs you have now should be workable, so don't give up on them yet or fall into the trap that a lot of people do, thinking that you need super overstable discs to deal with wind. Use them when needed, but see what you can squeeze out of what you have now with some form and technique.

Buy a 180g Vector. Wind is now not an issue. Predator is a great overstable driver. Make sure you get it in Z. Z offers some exclusives to the Pred. I have a Dx and champ teebird in my bag. Dx is much better. Star though? Never heard of that. Maybe ill give it a go.

Thanks everyone for the tips (I'll definitely learn to throw in the wind without an OS disc). One of the issues I had with the DX teebird I got was comparing it to a friends champion version. The champ went straight with some wind, whereas I threw the DX next and it went sailing right (expecting it not to turnover so much). It will definitely stay in my bag and I will learn to use it, but I Just need to fill the OS/stable driver gap at the moment.

I ended up buying the z-predator, the vector, and a champ 168 teebird (prob should of got the star as everyone was saying). The vector wont be as wind resistant from what you guys say, so maybe I will pick up an OS mid later on. I'll learn what I have, and Vectors look damn good too. Even if I find that I get good in the wind and don't necessarily need these additions, I think they will still be a good asset to the bag.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the tips (I'll definitely learn to throw in the wind without an OS disc). One of the issues I had with the DX teebird I got was comparing it to a friends champion version. The champ went straight with some wind, whereas I threw the DX next and it went sailing right (expecting it not to turnover so much). It will definitely stay in my bag and I will learn to use it, but I Just need to fill the OS/stable driver gap at the moment.

I ended up buying the z-predator, the vector, and a champ 168 teebird (prob should of got the star as everyone was saying). The vector wont be as wind resistant from what you guys say, so maybe I will pick up an OS mid later on. I'll learn what I have, and Vectors look damn good too. Even if I find that I get good in the wind and don't necessarily need these additions, I think they will still be a good asset to the bag.

Thanks again!

What weight was the Vector? My 175g and 180g fight the wind very well. Z-Pred is a great disc to have. I have a 170 or 171 champ teebird that I like. Very domey. Compliments the DX nicely. Enjoy!

Mold style and disc condition matter more than plastic, and of course dx gets beat up pretty fast - especially the new cheese dx plastic. I prefer champ for Teebirds, but the star does glide a bit better...not a huge deal. If that Vector turns or flips on you, it's most likely due to form...thrown clean it'll do very well. About 20mph is where I give up on the Vector and look to something really overstable. If I screw up a throw in a lighter 10-15mph wind, the Vector tells me so, but it is definitely capable of handling some decent winds.

What weight was the Vector? My 175g and 180g fight the wind very well. Z-Pred is a great disc to have. I have a 170 or 171 champ teebird that I like. Very domey. Compliments the DX nicely. Enjoy!

The vector is a 174 and the champ TBird is a 168, so just slightly under yours. I cant wait!

...If that Vector turns or flips on you, it's most likely due to form...thrown clean it'll do very well. About 20mph is where I give up on the Vector and look to something really overstable. If I screw up a throw in a lighter 10-15mph wind, the Vector tells me so, but it is definitely capable of handling some decent winds.

Thanks for the tip. I need something like that which will help me work on my form.

174 Vector will fight the wind a bit. Not a whole lot. It'll be an alright disc. The Teebird should work nicely. My go-to disc. A champ Valk is at 166g. You can use that Teebird for a lot of things. Champ + DX Teebird combo is fantastic.

Latest posts