• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Board

TexasOutlaw said:
It says alot about many in the game. As it is when ppl find out I play disc golf, it is normally accompanied by , "got any weed?" The people on those forums are very mal-hearted individuals that give disc golfers a bad image.

The worst you will find here is spirited sarcasm, not malicious comments. I've even received private appologies from people on here that felt maybe I would misinterpret their comments as flaming.

I'm glad the good-natured have found their way here.

A lady kept us from getting a course or two put in in west denver because she convinced the city that disc golfers would bring more drugs to the park...
Now theyre putting a course in (which Im quite excited for) in a fairly bad part of town. Im more convinced that regular park traffic (which dg definatly premotes) is good for neighborhoods... which doesnt keep some "stereotypes" from keeping the sport from advancing.

I love to fight stereotypes and refine perceptions, it is one of the high horses I ride.

But... in my experience, as someone who is still fairly new to DG culture, there is a ton of doobage out in the open, and also a butt load of drinking. There is still a legit reason why that perception persists.

I used to go to Dead shows back in the day, so it's not a big deal. But DG is about the only place outside of concerts where people will light up in front of strangers (i.e. golfers they've never met before) in a public place.

<as an aside, even though the substance taking appears to be a real factor in DG (at least in my area), these same people are very good about picking up all litter, and really trying to be friendly , donating to the course, and in general being good citizens-- just that weed does often come with this package>

jiwaburst said:
<as an aside, even though the substance taking appears to be a real factor in DG (at least in my area), these same people are very good about picking up all litter, and really trying to be friendly , donating to the course, and in general being good citizens-- just that weed does often come with this package>

Unfortunately, the police and local soccer moms aren't going to overlook the drugs and drinking just because those people also pick up litter.

sleepy

it seems like i am the only non-weed smoker i ever play with. i don't understand why the stuff is so prolific in disc golf. i understadn the drinking, i drink on the disc course and on the ball golf course but the amount of weed i see every round is just astonishing....

Rooster said:
it seems like i am the only non-weed smoker i ever play with. i don't understand why the stuff is so prolific in disc golf. i understadn the drinking, i drink on the disc course and on the ball golf course but the amount of weed i see every round is just astonishing....

A casual round of Disc Golf does not require a whole lot of motor skills. I am talking about the guys who come out with two super beat discs and take eight throws on every hole. Those guys can be stoned out of their mind and still play the same. Also most discs golf courses wind away from where most passer byers can't see the players and unlike ball golf courses, are not patrolled by rangers or anything like that. Perfect place to smoke up.

I would like to add I don't smoke pot but those seem like the logical reasons to me.

jiwaburst said:
I love to fight stereotypes and refine perceptions, it is one of the high horses I ride.

But... in my experience, as someone who is still fairly new to DG culture, there is a ton of doobage out in the open, and also a butt load of drinking. There is still a legit reason why that perception persists.

I used to go to Dead shows back in the day, so it's not a big deal. But DG is about the only place outside of concerts where people will light up in front of strangers (i.e. golfers they've never met before) in a public place.

mchi-coolbag.jpg

The ching disc bag cooler: Holds a tall boy six pack or 10 discs, or 4 discs and 4 tall boys...
I suppose its not a secret people like to drink and disc ;-)...

It's not that I'm against such behavior, but our local course also houses a pavilion for parties, a playground for young kids, a lake where families fish, and a field where little league teams practice.

I am 100% against these kids being exposed to such habits. I don't believe dg has any part in desensitizing people to drugs. Although dg'ers are not out selling the stuff, they are exposing children to it.

Rooster said:

That is because weed is more prolific than you think in everyday life. You would be surprised at the number of people you know who are closet smokers. That being said, I have a lot of fun when I am playing with someone I haven't met before and they whip out a pipe and offer it to me. I usually look at them very seriously and say they probably should have asked what I do for a living and now I'm gonna have to cut my round short because I have to "take them in". Wow do people freak out at that. When I tell them I am joking, the light bulb goes on that maybe they shouldn't be such an idiot. Keep it on the dl people, you're only hurting the game.

As for the useless, petty, small minded, argumentative, joke that is the PDGA message board, the ask so and so about threads are the only useful ones. I hate that those boards represents one of my biggest passions in life. It's embarassing.

Thanks to Blake and Stick it DG for having a productive place to spend my time on line. Those and my local club's forum are the only ones I'll use.

Frank_Delicious said:
Also most discs golf courses wind away from where most passer byers can't see the players and unlike ball golf courses, are not patrolled by rangers or anything like that. Perfect place to smoke up.
This is especially prevelant here since most of our courses are heavily wooded in addition to being well removed from the main public roads.

discmonkey42 said:
As for the useless, petty, small minded, argumentative, joke that is the PDGA message board, the ask so and so about threads are the only useful ones. I hate that those boards represents one of my biggest passions in life. It's embarassing.

Thanks to Blake and Stick it DG for having a productive place to spend my time on line. Those and my local club's forum are the only ones I'll use.
Well said.

sleepy