• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Doping Control?

Would it be plausible that since elite athletes who are tested frequently gain such an intimate knowledge of the testing regimes that they and their trainers are able to develop doping routines that would escape detection?

I believe professional athletes should be allowed to use PEDs, provided they are transparent about their use and the option to play 'clean' still remains an option ('clean-only contests').

I have also heard rumors for years that some professional golfers use beta blockers (or equivalents) to 'moderate their arousal levels'...

Open Netflix -> select Icarus -> watch entire movie -> question answered

I feel like this is gonna catch more potheads than anything. Most amphetamines and other PED have a very short half life in the body, so detection is pretty rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like this is gonna catch more potheads than anything. Most amphetamines and other PED have a very short half life in the body, so detection is pretty rare.

You're assuming the test can be rigged via knowing the testing dates. Random testing takes this out of the question.

I'm more curious about some of the peptides that are out there for injury recovery and overall athletic performance. They're easily detected and have been banned by most sporting organizations. I would hazard to say at least a few of the top guys have tried or are using a few of these.

Open Netflix -> select Icarus -> watch entire movie -> question answered

it was a rhetorical question. my premise is most certainly plausible and very likely true in many instances, and we haven't even arrived at a discussion of the 'organizational culture' of many professional sports...

Yes, and I think that is the real issue: marijuana use. As I posted earlier, we'll see if this testing is ever actually implemented...

Good luck having any high level events on the west coast then! It reminds me of when Nick Diaz fought Takanori Gomi in Japan and won, the drug tests came back and Diaz tested positive for marijuana, and his win got reversed. How Marijuana is classified as an "enhancing" drug is beyond me!

Also for certain doping agencies even higher levels of caffeine and other seemingly arbitrary substances are banned.

Lol

I remember a story about James Conrad sleeping in a tent on tour through the cold and rain. How many NFL players or Track Olympians crawl out of a muddy culvert before showing up to their events?

Let them smoke weed 24/7 and chew fistfuls of adderall for all I care, most touring DGers are like two steps above homeless. f whoever wants to make their lives more difficult or less enjoyable without any of the compensation that similarly policed athletes enjoy. This is Disc Golf not track & field. Gtfo with the pee cups and paperwork until you put another digit or two in their paycheck.

This thread is officially more of an over-reaction to a piece of news than anything in the free agency spectrum lol.

I'm quite sure they're just exploring different avenues for how to navigate the sport as it grows from the Organization's standpoint. The PDGA currently sends 2 people to support National Tour events, to assume that they're going to begin an anti-PED campaign would be to forget that their biggest issue with their current structure is enforcement.

Also...for so many reasons (even beyond the obvious jokes), they're not going after cannabis users. It's long been a DQ-able offense to consume cannabis during events, and there's really no rationale for bumping that up in light of the changing attitudes and waves of legalization across the country.

I'll put it this way - if they actually implement drug testing routines for cannabis, with punishments like big sports leagues have, I'll pull an Elon Musk on The Upshot.

Ok I am going to play devil's advocate here:

In any competitive sport isn't it necessary and desired to have the "playing field be equal?" Cannabis, adderrall or any other form of chemical modification to the mind or body tilts the playing field. Having said that, we are talking about annual six figure income and multi year million dollar contracts. The pressure to attain those paydays is only going to increase moving forward and the temptation to augment ones innate and hard earned skills will also increase. Isn't it best to get out ahead of this before it could become an in issue? Having no formal policy or enforcement regimen is essentially adopting an "anything goes" policy.

Ok I am going to play devil's advocate here:

In any competitive sport isn't it necessary and desired to have the "playing field be equal?" Cannabis, adderrall or any other form of chemical modification to the mind or body tilts the playing field. Having said that, we are talking about annual six figure income and multi year million dollar contracts. The pressure to attain those paydays is only going to increase moving forward and the temptation to augment ones innate and hard earned skills will also increase. Isn't it best to get out ahead of this before it could become an in issue? Having no formal policy or enforcement regimen is essentially adopting an "anything goes" policy.
Performance enhancing drugs = better performances to watch.

...Or cheating.

I don't agree that cannabis is a ped. I always encourage my competion to get as stoned or drunk as they want.

Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.

Latest posts