• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA legal?

eric_dmb

Birdie Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/DISC-GOLF-NEW-WHITE-MAGNET-WITH-LIZARD-SKIN-GRIP-RARE_W0QQitemZ370024081690QQihZ024QQcategoryZ20851QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

are those grips something PDGA sanctioned?
are they factory made or what? I have not ever seen a disc like that....

I think it's legal. It looks like just a double stamp put on by the company (in this case Discraft) that just happens to add spots that make the disc more grippy. I could be wrong though.

I like Magnets, but I don't like that disc. If its so rare, why is it so cheap?

Yup, it's legal. It's just a double stamp. They are kinda rare. It's probably cheap right now because it still has 3 days and its 170g.

rKp said:
I think it's legal. It looks like just a double stamp put on by the company (in this case Discraft) that just happens to add spots that make the disc more grippy. I could be wrong though.

so you just thing it is the slight raised stamp creating the "lizard grip"?

ericdmb said:
rKp said:
so you just thing it is the slight raised stamp creating the "lizard grip"?
That would be my guess. Possibly at the request of Discraft pro Mark Ellis "The Lizard Lawyer".

If it truly is just a double stamp, then it is legal, but if that was a texture or tape put on by that person, it is an Illegal disc.

It is a factory stamp, or better it is a waffled area caused by heat. It reminds me of the original Nike tread. I have a Challenger with the same Lizard grip. I didn't really like it, and the disc is red (yuk). I'd be willing to trade it for a white or blue 166-168 X Crush.

I've never seen a discraft disc with a raised stamp, and Mark Ellis uses stickum on his discs instead of relying on a funky stamp.

If it's a misprint, it's cheap because misprints of Pro-D retail for $4 a piece. I wouldn't even bid for it at the price it's at. I'd feel like a sucker.

SkaBob said:
I've never seen a discraft disc with a raised stamp, and Mark Ellis uses stickum on his discs instead of relying on a funky stamp.

Mark actually has a few of these hanging in his basement. They're pretty neat

Really it is NOT a stamp; it's more like they took a waffle iron and pressed it on the plastic, leaving a VERY textured area.

If it's the same lizard skin from years ago which it looks like to me, they let the stamp "burn in". It's not something the newer plastic does, but I have seen old Aviar grids (late 80's, early 90's) where the stamp was recessed due to heat of the stamp iron and time the iron was pressed into the disc.

gremlin75 said:
black udder said:
That about sums it up, no?

LOL, yeah leave it to the "lizard" Lawer who throw's magnets to have some lizard stamped Magnets hanging around 8)

He's the one that turned me to Rattlers. From there Whitlers and an Ultra Star were a natural progression. Too bad my injuries rain on that parade. And often windy conditions here. I'm so lucky in finding a grip that suits me for Rocs and finding that they suit me fine. Gonna get some ultralights and 150s at some time to see how Rocs fare as the weight gets down and glide and flippyness goes up. For low wind long runs and maybe even piercing tight gaps at distance with putting form. That should be a fun experiment.