• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Did not play any new tournaments since last rating update, but my rating went down 3 points. Chased down why. A tournament I played in the spring FINALLY made it to official ratings. I did not play poorly at that tournament; certainly not enough to warrant a 3 point rating drop. So what happened? The rounds that were added increased the standard deviation of my rated rounds from 20 to 26, which caused an exceptionally poor round that was previously excluded from my rating to suddenly count. How neat is that? That's pretty neat.

I'm way up from 000! Got my first rating (low 900s) based on 3 rounds, ranging from 888 to 944. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to play my next tournaments in Intermediate or Advanced. Do you guys just pick something and stick with it? Or do you bounce up and down depending on the course and tournament?

Play to your level. If you are doing well in Intermediate and want to challenge yourself then move up to advanced. If you are still middle of the pack in Intermediate then stay there and get more comfortable and more consistent.

^Yup, you can pick an event here or there on courses you know to play up, if you want. Or just move up and take your lumps. Its a personal decision until your rating forces the move. I would at least try and win an event or two before moving up permanently. Knowing how you will react in the last few holes, with the game on the line, is a good thing.

Did not play any new tournaments since last rating update, but my rating went down 3 points. Chased down why. A tournament I played in the spring FINALLY made it to official ratings. I did not play poorly at that tournament; certainly not enough to warrant a 3 point rating drop. So what happened? The rounds that were added increased the standard deviation of my rated rounds from 20 to 26, which caused an exceptionally poor round that was previously excluded from my rating to suddenly count. How neat is that? That's pretty neat.

At least you aren't stuck with 2 rounds rated 110+ points under your rating.;)

I wouldn't call that "stuck" since those are never going to be counted towards your rating. Consider those freebies.
I have only played one league round this year and those 2rds I referred to, are numbers 7-8 of my last 8 rounds. Do they still get dropped in that scenario?

I have only played one league round this year and those 2rds I referred to, are numbers 7-8 of my last 8 rounds. Do they still get dropped in that scenario?

Anything that is either (whichever number is smaller)
a) more than 2.5x the standard deviation of your rounds lower than your rating OR
b) more than 100 points lower than your rating
Will get dropped and will not count towards your rating calculation.

Case in point, my last ratings update my rating was 939 with a standard deviation of 20. If you multiply 20 by 2.5 you get 50. Since 50 is smaller than 100, this number gets used to determine the cutoff for which rounds count towards my rating. In this case 939 - 50 = 889, so any rounds below 889 would not count. I had one round of 875 in my history, but it did not count. With this ratings update and the addition of a few spring tournament rounds my standard deviation jumped to 26, and 26 * 2.5 = 65. If you subtract 65 from my rating the 875 round suddenly is in the acceptable range, and gets included, further lowering my rating.

In case you were asking a different question, I still believe those rounds will be dropped. I know that PDGA will go beyond 12 months to gather up to 8 rounds to calculate your rating, but the key phrase here is "up to". If the rounds are more than 100 points off your rating they will still get dropped.

Last edited:
Anything that is either (whichever number is smaller)
a) more than 2.5x the standard deviation of your rounds lower than your rating OR
b) more than 100 points lower than your rating
Will get dropped and will not count towards your rating calculation.

Case in point, my last ratings update my rating was 939 with a standard deviation of 20. If you multiply 20 by 2.5 you get 50. Since 50 is smaller than 100, this number gets used to determine the cutoff for which rounds count towards my rating. In this case 939 - 50 = 889, so any rounds below 889 would not count. I had one round of 875 in my history, but it did not count. With this ratings update and the addition of a few spring tournament rounds my standard deviation jumped to 26, and 26 * 2.5 = 65. If you subtract 65 from my rating the 875 round suddenly is in the acceptable range, and gets included, further lowering my rating.

I know how the ratings work normally but just wasn't sure if they would count automatically because I will be using the 8 most recent rounds.

In case you were asking a different question, I still believe those rounds will be dropped. I know that PDGA will go beyond 12 months to gather up to 8 rounds to calculate your rating, but the key phrase here is "up to". If the rounds are more than 100 points off your rating they will still get dropped.
Hopefully you're right. I would hate to fall under 850 just because I haven't been playing events enough this year.

Last edited:
I know how the ratings work normally but just wasn't sure if they would count automatically because I wont have more than the minimum rounds.

There is no "minimum rounds". You can only have 2 rounds in your history and still have a player rating. The 8 round minimum is so that you can be considered a propagator, meaning your performance is used to calculate ratings for the entire field in a particular round. In your case if you really only have 8 rounds total, and 2 of them aren't counted, then your rating will only be based off of the 6 rounds that do count. This means in a future event that you play your performance will have no effect on the ratings calculations for that day since you are not considered a propagator. You can shoot as hot or as crappy as you want, and it will not affect the ratings of other players for that round.

Jumped up 23! From 911 to 934!

I thought I averaged 960 for 3 rounds at my last event, but official results avg'd 969, with a 980 round. So I dropped a few cruddy, sub 900 rounds. I don't play many tourneys, maybe 4 or 5 a year, but I am hoping to get in two more this year.

Whoop

I would at least try and win an event or two before moving up permanently. Knowing how you will react in the last few holes, with the game on the line, is a good thing.

My disc golf tournament game is a lot like my poker tournament game. Get out to a nice lead, then start playing stupid and aggro, basically giving it all away.

*855 with at least 80 down the crapper :doh:

Up 4 points to 948 which is my highest ever.

Unfortunately, at the next update I will probably drop a couple. This was a weird in-between update where a couple of my sanctioned league rounds from last year dropped, while others did not.

Down 2 to 937 after a couple that were just below my rating.

4 events left this year. I wanted to finish the year at 950+. Going to need to turn it up to get there.

But I've been playing really well casually the last 3 weeks, especially putting-wise, and won a 3 rnd unsanctioned event this weekend, so I'm confident I can do it.

Down a couple. I couldn't get a round 90 points below my rating to be dropped? I'm not even good at being bad. :(

+825. My first ever PDGA sanctioned tournament. It's weird how nervous that little PDGA label in Metrix can make me.

Latest posts