• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Added some good rounds, added some bad rounds, rating stayed the same. My calculations had me dropping 2 points, so I'm happy. :)

Chuck,
Can you take a quick look at the Kencrest Cares event from Mar 23rd?

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/101328

I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the math behind round raitings, but the second round of this tournament was the exact same layout as the first, conditions were the same if not worse, and a one stroke better second round was rated WORSE than the first ... what?

First, those are unofficial ratings where each round on the same layout is calculated separately. Second, it's not unusual for unofficial ratings each round to vary on the same layout because conditions are different even if the weather appears to be the same. Third, when we do official ratings, we average all of the scores from rounds on the same layout to average out those effects so everyone gets the same rating for the same score.

yes, per the article on front page of PDGA.com that is highest, and Paul's round became an 1132.
Fixed

Interesting info, of all the folks (USA current members) with 1000+ rating, the top 5 states were
CA 29
TX 14
OR 12
FL 10
NC 10

McBeth updated his location to FL, if they wanted to they would too, heck Catrina Ulibarri changed her last name less than a week after the wedding. Bad data in = bad data out. Just interesting to see how many were from Cali. and only 5 states had at least 10 people rated over 1000 currently. The next couple only had 7. Also only 31 states had 1000+ rated current players.

Indiana only shows 3, but should be 4 once a guy re-news his membership. I'm sure other states have the same.

Question for those who know how ratings work...I thought that when ratings went from unofficial to official that the ratings if changed always went down. Then I saw McBeths official rating, highest ever, shoot up from 1126 to a 1134 or something like that. Does unofficial to official rankings often move up or is this a special case cause ratings love 1000 rated players?

Question for those who know how ratings work...I thought that when ratings went from unofficial to official that the ratings if changed always went down. Then I saw McBeths official rating, highest ever, shoot up from 1126 to a 1134 or something like that. Does unofficial to official rankings often move up or is this a special case cause ratings love 1000 rated players?

Unofficial ratings go up or down randomly when they go official because the processes are somewhat different. It has nothing to do with 1000 rated players. It has to do with multiple rounds on the same layout and whether the TD set the proper courses played by each division so the unofficial numbers are at least closer to the eventual official values. It can also be impacted by DNFs.

^ Thanks. What was confusing in the case of the last tournament I played in was the fact that we played the same course twice in same day and morning rounds were rated higher than afternoon by about 3 points. Weather was the same too. Would that mean that the scores for the second round, although lowere, get bumped up to match the first round?

Fixed

Interesting info, of all the folks (USA current members) with 1000+ rating, the top 5 states were
CA 29
TX 14
OR 12
FL 10
NC 10
no suprise there. Interesting fact, nearly half those california players are from one county!