• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

Up 12 points to 808. Slowly but surely getting better; I definitely need to get back to practicing my putting though

Nothing old dropped but you might have bumped a round or two from the recent ones that had been doubled up. If you had a high rated round that was counting for double previously, and now it doesn't, it could drop you a few points as a result.

ALso, he said he has one not being counted, which could have made another low round start being counted.

Nothing old dropped but you might have bumped a round or two from the recent ones that had been doubled up. If you had a high rated round that was counting for double previously, and now it doesn't, it could drop you a few points as a result.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Last 10 rounds average 921, but alas I still only moved 1 point from 905 to 906. I guess that's the curse of playing 36 tournaments and having 106 rounds used to calculate the rating... :wall: :doh: :confused:

I guess I have to be satisfied that I know I am playing well above my rating lately. Would be good for USDGC Performance Flight... but wait, that's not happening this year! :thmbdown::thmbdown:

Shot a stellar 806 rated round(which was 100+ below my rating) last year and they decided to include it in this update............... dropped 11 to 910 :wall:

Meh. Stayed even at 938, but was rather shocked to see my league round go from a 912 unofficial to an 884 official. Kept on hoping I could finally drop my lowest round, but alas, it keeps on hanging around.

Paul McBeth hits new high of 1055.

Chuck, I would be interested in your thoughts on what a rating ceiling would look like? Meaning, is it possible for someone to hit 1060, 1070, 1100? For their player rating, not a round.

My thinking is, there is a ceiling somewhere. In order for someone to hit 1070, they would have to be heads, shoulders, and abdomen above all other players. I'm thinking as the competition gets tougher and tougher, it will pull on the ratings to stay down.

The only practical ceiling is the rating a player would earn if they essentially shot the best score they could realistically shoot without aces and field aces. They would also need to play mostly courses in the 52-58 SSA range where there's more room to shoot say 15 down on a regular basis. I'm thinking that practical cap for a full string of perfect rounds is around 1115-1120. We know players at Paul's level have a scoring standard deviation around 20 rating points. If we think of perfection as 3 standard deviations from the best player's average capabilities, we do the math [1120 - (3 x 20)] = 1060. Looks like Paul may be pretty close to a realistic practical limit.

The only practical ceiling is the rating a player would earn if they essentially shot the best score they could realistically shoot without aces and field aces. They would also need to play mostly courses in the 52-58 SSA range where there's more room to shoot say 15 down on a regular basis. I'm thinking that practical cap for a full string of perfect rounds is around 1115-1120. We know players at Paul's level have a scoring standard deviation around 20 rating points. If we think of perfection as 3 standard deviations from the best player's average capabilities, we do the math [1120 - (3 x 20)] = 1060. Looks like Paul may be pretty close to a realistic practical limit.

That is very interesting. Thanks for indulging me.

Now Paul might be able to reduce his standard deviation below 20 points to work his way above 1060. However, you're then getting into an area where some of his deviation is produced by fluke factors in the game like wind gusts, rollaways, cut-thrus and bounce backs which even the "perfect" player can't control.

So it would be easier for him to get to 1100 by totally dominating....(even more than he is now)? Meaning that if there were 3or4 guys all playing ridiculously well, would they drag the round ratings down?

Well he wont have to deal with re-teeing 5 times on no17 anymore...:D sorry Chuck couldn't resist.
That will most likely reduce rather than help the exceptionally high round ratings (1100+) of Paul and other top players. The "penalty padding" on some holes artificially boosts the SSA and that will be reduced over time.

Last edited:
So it would be easier for him to get to 1100 by totally dominating....(even more than he is now)? Meaning that if there were 3or4 guys all playing ridiculously well, would they drag the round ratings down?
That won't have much impact. The SSA may be pushed higher by a throw or two versus daily play due to tournament pressure in big events. But it doesn't change the total number of round rating points awarded. That total remains the same no matter what course that same group of propagators is playing.

From the PDGA site:

The twelfth and final PDGA Player Ratings Update for 2015 events has been published. This update includes all 2015 events and any corrections received before the submission deadline of February 2nd, 2016. The next submisson deadline is Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 for the first update of 2016 events to be published on March 22nd, 2016.

Players: You will NOT yet have received credit for any 2016 events you competed in -- the March update is the first update for 2016 events.

However, if you have not received credit for a 2015 event you played in, please send an email to the PDGA Tour Manager with your name, PDGA #, and the date and name of the event(s) that your PDGA # should be assigned to.