• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pdga rule question

duckkiller73

Par Member
A question arose during league play today and I was curious if anyone knows the answer. When putting on hot/HUMID days, we noticed our "grippy" putters feeling a bit too grippy in our hands. I know you can't modify a disc by filing, sanding, etc. but can a person use baby powder or something similar on their hands to let the disc slip out a bit easier? It probably would get on the disc, so we weren't sure if that would be modifying the disc or not. I have seen players using gloves before, but I don't know if thats legal either. So the official answer is....?

A question arose during league play today and I was curious if anyone knows the answer. When putting on hot/HUMID days, we noticed our "grippy" putters feeling a bit too grippy in our hands. I know you can't modify a disc by filing, sanding, etc. but can a person use baby powder or something similar on their hands to let the disc slip out a bit easier? It probably would get on the disc, so we weren't sure if that would be modifying the disc or not. I have seen players using gloves before, but I don't know if thats legal either. So the official answer is....?

pros I've played with rub their hands in the dirt for a similar effect to chalking one's hands while playing pool.

Have you ever heard of a birdie bag? It is basically a rosin bag just like the one that sits on the back of the pitchers mound in an MLB game, it basically drys of your hand and makes gripping easier and more natural. I discovered the magic of them this hot and humid weekend. I now carry one in my bag. They are sold and kept in plastic baggies so your whole bag does not get chalky.

Your baby powder solution sounds like a solid alternatives and to my knowledge perfectly legal.

Have you ever heard of a birdie bag? It is basically a rosin bag just like the one that sits on the back of the pitchers mound in an MLB game, it basically drys of your hand and makes gripping easier and more natural. I discovered the magic of them this hot and humid weekend. I now carry one in my bag. They are sold and kept in plastic baggies so your whole bag does not get chalky.
I like the Birdie Bag suggestion as well. I like them over baby power because I'm pretty sure they're filled with sawdust so you end up smelling like a wood shop rather than a diaper.

I keep a small container of baby powder in my bag....works great on hands and a puff or 2 down the shorts can bring lots of relief to the boys when it gets sticky

I have a quick question about something that came up while playing yesterday. My buddy's putt came to rest on top of the target (the flat top that surrounds the hole number sign). Can anyone tell me if that still counts? I decided it did but I couldn't find anything about it in PDGA rules.

I have a quick question about something that came up while playing yesterday. My buddy's putt came to rest on top of the target (the flat top that surrounds the hole number sign). Can anyone tell me if that still counts? I decided it did but I couldn't find anything about it in PDGA rules.

No, it doesn't count. The disc must be at rest either below the top chain or above the bottom of the basket.

Last edited:
Get a chalk bag for sweaty hands

Baby powder is fine, but can get clumpy and slippery. You really want chalk for those sweaty hands, just like rock climbers have been using for years.

Get a chalk ball and chalk bag, clip it to your bag on those hot days - it makes access and dust containment super easy.

Chalk balls are about $2 at REI or any climbing shop.

BONUS: Great for rainy days as well. Much more effective than drying your hands with a towel.

global-usa-100642-chalk-ball-3.jpg

Baby powder is fine, but can get clumpy and slippery. You really want chalk for those sweaty hands, just like rock climbers have been using for years.

Get a chalk ball and chalk bag, clip it to your bag on those hot days - it makes access and dust containment super easy.

Chalk balls are about $2 at REI or any climbing shop.

BONUS: Great for rainy days as well. Much more effective than drying your hands with a towel.

global-usa-100642-chalk-ball-3.jpg

That's a great idea. I'm gonna try that tomorrow.

Jack<----------- already has chalk bag. Somewhere.

I like that too. I hate rubbing dirt from around the tee-pad on my hands. I know people are spitting in that stuff.

thank you all so much for the replies. These were ideas that we had come up with, but we weren't sure if it was legal. Looks like it probably is. I didn't know about the birdie bag, and since i live in the boondocks (but we have great courses near here) I will probably order a birdie bag next time i order discs online!

Latest posts