• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Peer Pressure

First off, I do like mvp, but it was the final company I came accross...

I think "peer pressure" is incorrect. When you start disc golf (or any new thing in life) you make yourself as a child. You see others achieving a goal and being the smart folks we are, we think-"if I listen to this person, I increase my odds of achieving my goal". One of my favorite parts about disc golf is that my good friend and I almost always score the same at our local course, but when I reach for my MVP Ion putter (you HAVE to try is cuz it's MVP and MVP is the best :wall:) and my roc midranges at the teepad, he reaches for destroyers that he will flex everytime (as he generally caps off at 350'). Again, he scores the same or better all the time! Let's embrace this! This is disc golf right?

It's McBeast throwing a nova straight at the pin while the rest of the card spike hyzers a fairway driver. It's Simon Lizotte jump putting/approaching with a FIREBIRD at the windy tx tourneys. It's me teeing off with my dx roc, and my friend with his star destroyer and we are both in the circle.

I gladly gave into hype or pressure or whatever. It's how I learned that I'm not Avery Jenkins and should weight my max distance discs lower. I think that in life in general, being aware of this phenomenon (why we choose what we choose) is wise, but to avoid it out of fear or sometype of control issue seems a bit unwise. I enjoy having the stubborn folks on my card (I OOONLY throw max weight innova, etc.) because I don't usually have to worry about them out scoring me. It's that guys that are like "what's that disc in your bag? oh that looks cool I'll have to give it a try" that I worry about. just my two cents. well, maybe 3 lol

Cool thread idea :thmbup:

It's not really peer pressure. That's just blaming your mistakes on someone else. It's insecurity. Throw what works for you. Get disc ideas from other players. But don't choose a disc based solely on what you think someone else will think of you for throwing it.

I can totally see that. People hate on certain discs so ppl tend to stay away, but I've met people that primarily throw grooves.

Check my sig. I love all these discs....I don't care what anyone says. Pulse is awesome, Roadrunner is amazing, Stiletto is a hook, and the M5 is awesome, plus I love all my putters....dont care, just want to play well and have fun .

Not exactly peer pressure but, when I first started playing I would watch Dan Beto's instructional videos and he would talk about his S Wizards so I bought one of those as my first putter and used it as my putter for a few years.

Latest posts